SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 AM
Redfish

Cash: 692

Expandable-2 blade rage extreme....I've shot just about everyone out there and u can't beat accuracy out to 60 yards and great blood trail..better than any fixed blade hands down....but if u like fixed I would go with Montec carbon steel, they fly great and are razor sharp but not the blood trail of rage
Old 07-19-2012, 01:22 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadabite View Post
I don't believe in tuning. I never have tuned and my broad heads shoot the exact same as me field tips! just my 2 cents
What???? So you don't care if your arrow are "fishing tailing" while flying toward the target?

Maybe you bought your bow and were "lucky" to have had it tuned just right by someone that really knew how to properly tune a bow.

IMO...... tunning a bow so it shoots an arrow smoothly [accurately] is just as import as practicing shooting your bow.

If a bow is not set up just right.....the arrow will be "wobbling" as it flies toward the target. You may not see it wobbling, but if the bow launches the arrow "crooked", it will not fly smoothly.

I would paper tuned my bow, but the next year I had to make some adjustments again to get it back to shooting "builets" holes in the paper. So, years ago I starting reading up on bow tunning and found information on different ways to test a bow "tuning". Many of the articles that I read only covered some of the things to do.

I had never considered checking or making adjustments for what they called the "till". My bow "till" was not correct and after making adjustments, the arrows flight was really much smoother.

Craig..... As far as broadheads go, I got into bow hunting 27 years ago and there were a lot cheap broadheads on the market. I tried one of the first mechanicals that came out and it was an epic failure when I shot a deer with it. There are a bunch of very good mechanicals sold now.

I have been shooting the 100 gr Thunderheads for 15 years and have not found a reason to change. I find the Thunderheads do about the same damage to a deer as my .243 cal rifle.

If you would like some assistance in checking and adjusting your bow tunning, I would be glad to have you come over and see if we can improve your arrow flight. Just about anytime is good for me.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
What???? So you don't care if your arrow are "fishing tailing" while flying toward the target?

Maybe you bought your bow and were "lucky" to have had it tuned just right by someone that really knew how to properly tune a bow.

IMO...... tunning a bow so it shoots an arrow smoothly [accurately] is just as import as practicing shooting your bow.

If a bow is not set up just right.....the arrow will be "wobbling" as it flies toward the target. You may not see it wobbling, but if the bow launches the arrow "crooked", it will not fly smoothly.

I would paper tuned my bow, but the next year I had to make some adjustments again to get it back to shooting "builets" holes in the paper. So, years ago I starting reading up on bow tunning and found information on different ways to test a bow "tuning". Many of the articles that I read only covered some of the things to do.

I had never considered checking or making adjustments for what they called the "till". My bow "till" was not correct and after making adjustments, the arrows flight was really much smoother.

Craig..... As far as broadheads go, I got into bow hunting 27 years ago and there were a lot cheap broadheads on the market. I tried one of the first mechanicals that came out and it was an epic failure when I shot a deer with it. There are a bunch of very good mechanicals sold now.

I have been shooting the 100 gr Thunderheads for 15 years and have not found a reason to change. I find the Thunderheads do about the same damage to a deer as my .243 cal rifle.

If you would like some assistance in checking and adjusting your bow tunning, I would be glad to have you come over and see if we can improve your arrow flight. Just about anytime is good for me.
They were asking about tunning arrows! And yes of course my bow is tuned!
Old 07-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 677

Bloodrunners or Rage 2 !!!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:29 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 912

NAP Thunderheads were included with my bow package, so I'll be rolling with those this fall. I need to get another set, because Hunter's Friend only sends three broadheads with the ready-to-shoot packages. I figure I need one for every arrow.

I wish I could remember the brand, but I was watching a show on the Outdoor Channel last weekend and whatever broadhead the guy was using was just wicked. He shot a doe and it didn't go more than twenty yards.

As for fixed vs. mechanical, I vote for fixed. I know that the failure rate is low the the mechanical broadheads, but I'd hate to shoot a big buck and it be the one time that the broadhead fails.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Nothing wrong with Muzzy or Thunderhead, have used them both with good results, but that being said the quickest kills I have ever made (watched all deer fall) were with mechanicals. I really like the mechanicals and will continue to use them.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Flounder

Cash: 672

Switching from Rage 2 blade to Grim Reaper this year. Have had the blades fall open too many times on them Rage and am tired of messing with them.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:02 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadabite View Post
They were asking about tunning arrows! And yes of course my bow is tuned!
To tune arrows you have to make the proper adjustments to your bow! I would never shoot a mechanical. There is a reason most western outfitters won't allow you to shoot mechanicals. They were invented so people didn't have to learn to tune their bow. I don't understand why anyone would allow an extra thing to possibly go wrong. You will have that with mechanicals. Not opening, opening on release, broken blades, freezing and not opening etc. etc. etc. Fixed blade in a tuned bow will always cut a big hole in the animal!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:21 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 629

i shot rage for a couple years and and the last 4 years ive been shooting steelforce
Old 07-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
To tune arrows you have to make the proper adjustments to your bow! I would never shoot a mechanical. There is a reason most western outfitters won't allow you to shoot mechanicals. They were invented so people didn't have to learn to tune their bow. I don't understand why anyone would allow an extra thing to possibly go wrong. You will have that with mechanicals. Not opening, opening on release, broken blades, freezing and not opening etc. etc. etc. Fixed blade in a tuned bow will always cut a big hole in the animal!
AMEN!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy ro View Post
i shot rage for a couple years and and the last 4 years ive been shooting steelforce
I shot steelforce for awhile good head. I love a cut on contact head. Just hard to find on a moments notice.

The perfect blade to me would be the Delta Snuffer 3 blade. That's bad & tough SOB. Could only get 5 or 6 to fly right out of a dozen & that was with a lot of tinkering.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 711

Quote:

Hmmmmm....This is interesting.....lol
Old 07-23-2012, 12:07 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
LOL, we already had this discussion remember?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

Quote:

Uh Oh!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
LOL, we already had this discussion remember?

I thought that was you !!!....lol........:*****:
Old 07-23-2012, 12:25 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I thought that was you !!!....lol........:*****:

Old 07-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Banned

Widow says the only way to get an arrow to fly straight is to use the pink Crush fletchings! Tiffany is the man.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-23-2012, 03:29 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,831

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Shack BBQ View Post
Widow says the only way to get an arrow to fly straight is to use the pink Crush fletchings! Tiffany is the man.

Lol !!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

Quote:

Got to be a story here.

For those that don't know, Widow is a legend on another board and in his mind.

Really, damn good hunter.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Got to be a story here.

For those that don't know, Widow is a legend on another board and in his mind.

Really, damn good hunter.
And president of the Tiffany Lykoski fan club. He's obsessed!:beer:

Old 07-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
And president of the Tiffany Lykoski fan club. He's obsessed!:beer:

Yall just not rite !!!.....lol