SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 851
Default ACL Tear in Canines..

I let my border collie/golden out last thursday and he went rippin across the yard chasing a squirrel. He came back holding his left hind leg up. When he wasn't better Friday, I took him to the vet. They said he had torn his ACL (ligament in his knee). They told me if we didn't do surgery it would never heal up and eventually the other knee would fail and it would be all over for him. I agreed to do surgery and he has been suffering a lot for the last 3 days. The recovery consist of 6-8 weeks kept in a kennel or a crate. Only brought out on leash to do business. Then slowly start therapy plan. Walk on leash 2 min first day. 3 min next day .4 min next day and so on. I guess what I asking, has anyone done this treatment on their dog , and was it successful. I am hopeing for one ray of encouragement. Thanks, Jeff
Old 12-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Boy View Post
I let my border collie/golden out last thursday and he went rippin across the yard chasing a squirrel. He came back holding his left hind leg up. When he wasn't better Friday, I took him to the vet. They said he had torn his ACL (ligament in his knee). They told me if we didn't do surgery it would never heal up and eventually the other knee would fail and it would be all over for him. I agreed to do surgery and he has been suffering a lot for the last 3 days. The recovery consist of 6-8 weeks kept in a kennel or a crate. Only brought out on leash to do business. Then slowly start therapy plan. Walk on leash 2 min first day. 3 min next day .4 min next day and so on. I guess what I asking, has anyone done this treatment on their dog , and was it successful. I am hopeing for one ray of encouragement. Thanks, Jeff
Yes it does work but be careful and dont rush him to do too much exercise. My buddy had the same thing on his dog and it took about 8 weeks to get right. Now you cant even tell that it happened. Just keep him calm when taking him out to do his business
Old 12-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Tripletail

Thanks Capt.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

The vet did give you some pain medicene and some antibotics.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

when my wife gets home from work i will ask her she can answerm all the questions you have
Old 12-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n D View Post
The vet did give you some pain medicene and some antibotics.
Yea we got pain meds and antibiotics. The hard part is keeping him still, he has always been 'wide-open' (hyper) and he ain't takeing to that crate very well. I have to shove him through the door. If I ever raise another hound, I'm gonna start with kennel training from the get-go.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:18 PM

Cash: 376

i just went through all that a few weeks ago .my dog had surgery for a dislocated hip. (there went my power pole) but i love my dog ! the leash walking was the hardest part for me, he sniffs way to long! he is doing good runs, jumps,hunts the possums and what ever else he gets into.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmaster911 View Post
i just went through all that a few weeks ago .my dog had surgery for a dislocated hip. (there went my power pole) but i love my dog ! the leash walking was the hardest part for me, he sniffs way to long! he is doing good runs, jumps,hunts the possums and what ever else he gets into.

Glad to hear your dog has recovered and doing fine. I agree with you, you can't put a price on the love of a pet...