SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 11-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 611
Default Aluminum vs Fiberglass

I looking to buy my first bay boat, new or used that can fish inshore gas platforms (2' chop) as well as oyster reefs and grassy shallows. I'm mainly interested in redfish, trout, and flounder. Can anyone help me out with thier favorite choice as well as the advantages and disadvantages. I've been looking at everything from Sea Ark Baymaster to 25' Sea Fox CC, new and used.
Thanks, Bronte' (scuba250@dbtech.net)
Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Ling

Cash: 8,577

Fiberglass, alum is nice but its loud and gonna beat you to death in 1-2' chop....
Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Pretty much will always get a better ride with a fiberglass bay boat. All depends on your budget. I have a 24ft triton lts that performs everything you want to do just fine
Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 879

It all depends on how ruff you are on your stuff and how much you want to spend. For me I have a custom aluminum bay boat mainly because I'm probably a lil rougher on my boat than most people and I also take my boat to the duck camp in the winter. Like everything it all depends on what fits you best.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:47 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 611

I've heard that alum. is harder to tear up but being heavier; glass is better in chop. I.ve done well fishing trout in Mobile Bay, Al. ... But . the ride was rough ( 1-2' ) in 15 mph NE winds fishing out of a 21' Sailfish fiberglass. I wouldn't have wanted to have been in a lighter Alum. of the same size. But. what about the inland bays and deltas? Ant towing, I live 4 hours from the gulf and fish only in the "off" season. Own a small Heating and Cooling company, and only am only to fish a few days every couple of months.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:21 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

You can always add weight in gear to an aluminum boat to handle a bit of chop. You cannot take weight out of a fiberglass boat to increase speed/fuel economy in good conditions. I also prefer the low maintenance of aluminum.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Mine is built out of 3/16" aluminum and is heavy enough for me. I mainly fish the Dularge area and in the summer I fish the island and rigs. Ive had it in true 3-4 footers before and however it wasn't the most comfortable ride at no point did I feel it was unsafe. I would never say that my boat rides as well as a fiberglass boat of the same size but I will say they dont ride that much better. When you consider the advantages of less maintenance, durabilty, and the fact that I dont have to cringe and be worried whenever I scrap an oyster reef or bump the dock a lil too hard it made the decision much easier for me.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

I like aluminum but in the summer they are too damn hot...fry a egg on the deck.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Trophy Trout

I agree Montauk thats why I've got mine sprayed with a light grey bedliner material. In summer my shoes come off as soon as get in the boat and it doesn't burn your feet at all.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Trophy Trout

If money was no object I'd definitely suggest an American Aluminum boat but if not I'd give Casey at Sportsman's Fabrication in Morgan City a call. He does excellent work at good prices. He is who did the majority of the work on my boat and I've had absolutely no complaints.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

custom built aluminum boats are nice and do ride good, but the stay away from the production boats if you want to fish open water alot
Old 11-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Sunk a custom aluminum flat bottom bay boat in West Cove when I was in college on a windy/rough day. Weld cracked about 2-3' wide on the side of boat. Luckily, I got it on the east bank of west cove before it went down. Had to get sheriff dept to pick me up and then had to go back with float crane to get it out. I will never own an aluminum bay boat again. Just not made to take a beating in a bad chop. Nothing against anyone that has one and they are real nice. Just after my experience, I am going with fiberglass here on out.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,607

A welded aluminum boat far surpasses the strength of a fiberglass boat! If a weld cracks thats bc it was either not done properly or you are REAL HARD on your boat! But having said that...you cant beat the ride of a fiberglass, and some ride better than others. In my experience, the old saying, "you get what you pay for" really stands true!
Old 11-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Look at Xpress hyperlift hulls, I have fished from their bass boats with this hull and it handles rough water well.... you can get them from 19' up and theirs guides that use these pane boats
Old 11-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Specktator you said it was a flat bottom boat, which is probably why the weld failed. A typical bay boat doesn't have a flat bottom and the boat that you sunk was probably taking much more of a beating than a flat bottom boat is designed for. Mine has a V-bottom just like a fiberglass bay boat would have.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishaholic82 View Post
Specktator you said it was a flat bottom boat, which is probably why the weld failed. A typical bay boat doesn't have a flat bottom and the boat that you sunk was probably taking much more of a beating than a flat bottom boat is designed for. Mine has a V-bottom just like a fiberglass bay boat would have.
Definitely being that it was a flat bottom made all the difference. Would beat you to death in hardly any chop. Boat wasn't designed for open water fishing. V bottom would make a lot of difference. I really like aluminum bay boats, especially ones like simplepeddlers. Just after my terrible experience with one it would be hard for me to choose aluminum over fiberglass, V bottom or flat.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

production alloy has no comparison to custom alloy.......if you are a guy that feels the need buy a new boat every couple years......go glass.
If you are one to hold on to things......custom alloy.
There are Gravois out there that have been stripped, re-finished and worth more today then when built new.....just can't say the same of glass boats
Old 11-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Flounder

Cash: 623

I have had both and they both have their place. I like the Aluminum's flexibility and toughness. I duck hunted in it and fished from it, doesn't need a lot of upkeep on the hull. Mine didn't handle rough water well, even though it was a V hull (but still pretty much a flat bottom). For straight fishing, I will take a fiberglass hull any day. Better ride, more option but more upkeep too. I have a fiberglass hull now but I am thinking about getting a small v hull aluminum boat to duck hunt out of as a second boat.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Redfish

Cash: 679

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
production alloy has no comparison to custom alloy.......if you are a guy that feels the need buy a new boat every couple years......go glass.
If you are one to hold on to things......custom alloy.
There are Gravois out there that have been stripped, re-finished and worth more today then when built new.....just can't say the same of glass boats
A custom alum bay boat is the last boat you will ever have to buy.

And they are not hot in the summer.