SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,502
Default For all you bow hunting guys

I have the itch to move into bow hunting this year and I'm looking at buying a good bow

I shot two bows at Cabela's today, PSE Brute and Diamond Outlaw .. I love both but for different reasons ... The Diamond was much lighter, but the PSE felt alot easier and more natural to aim

I'm looking at buying within a month or so and any recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I am a virgin when it comes to bow hunting and have nothing to compare to .. I'm also goin to give Bear a good look to before buying
Old 05-27-2013, 06:27 PM
Flounder

Cash: 672

I shoot a Mathews and love it! If I were buying a new one I'd probably go with another Mathews or a Bowtech. PSE has really gone down in quality over the last few years due to outsourcing. The best advice I can give you is to go somewhere that you can shoot at least several different brands and then wait a week and go shoot the one you liked again.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Tripletail

I haven't looked at bowtech yet .. Is it in the price category with diamond and PSE or more the price range of a Matthews?

And correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Bowtech make Diamond .. I thought I may have heard this somewhere but not sure
Old 05-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Flounder

Cash: 672

Yes Bowtech makes Diamond. Don't know if you're set on a brand new one or not. But, Precision Archery in Bridge City carries a lot of used bows that are less than two years old, loaded out and good prices on them. From those people that have to have a new one every year.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Tripletail

Cool, ill check em out .. There are just alot unknowns that make me nervous about a used bow, but if they can guarantee quality is some way I would def. not be opposed to saving some money
Old 05-27-2013, 06:45 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

I shoot a Mathews & Bowtech. 1st buy from a "bow shop". Better service & people who know what they are doing & talking about in helping getting you set up. starting out KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!! There are many good bows on the market in every brand. Shoot em all! Shoot what's comfortable & you'll be successful.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

I have shot compounds and recurve bows for better than 20 years, Have harvested at least 2 metric s**t tons of venison with them in Maryland and Delaware.

From my first button buck to 2 pope & young class animals been there done that.

In addition i shot on the IBO local circuit for quite some time. Started out with a pure round wheel Martin Prowler, and have progressed through numerous different styles and types of bows.

Here's some advice for you.

#1 If you buy a bow from some Big box store "cabela's, bass pro, academy, etc" and expect the teenager behind the archery counter to properly set up your bow then you are delusional.

#2 Buy from an archery pro shop, yes you will pay a premium for the bow. But the simple fact that the bow will be set up and tuned specifically for you will make all the difference in the world.

#3 spend a lot of time working with the pro shop to get the bow set up properly for you. ITS MORE IMPORTANT THAT YOU DO THIS... than it is to wrangle for a good deal. I would go so far as to let the pro shop know that you really want the bow to be set up good for you and that your willing to TIP to make that happen.......

#4 Insist on paper tuning (with broadhead) the bow before you leave / pay for it. You should have a near to bullet hole (with vane rips) Anything else means you have problem with arrow flight which will effect EVERYTHING ELSE

#5 DONT GET to heavy of a bow for you!!!! You might think you need Heracles bow..... but the deer and pigs dont.... the heavier the bow weight the faster the arrow.... (TRUE)... but the noisier the bow... no bow shoots fast enough to eliminate an animal jumping / dropping at the sound... so you want your bow to be quiet as well. Most adult men are very comfortable with an adjustable bow which can range from 45-60lbs your going to want to set the bow at near to its max (58-60) because that is the range in which they will operate the best.

Dont overdo the weight because the bow needs to become an extension of you.. you need to shoot it religiously... take a shot or two in the morning as you drink your coffee... in the evening when you get home from work... limit the mega shooting sessions.... your trying to develop muscle memory not muscle mass.

day in, day out... when you get to the point that you dont like shooting more than one arrow at a target dot because your ruining too many arrows... ..... then your getting there.

dont get talked into some super fancy schmanzy crap.... stick with tried and true products. Carbon fiber arrows. Whisker bisquit arrow holder, a LARGE APETURE hunting style peep sight. solid broadheads (like g5 montecs or something) with matching weight field points. a solid truglo sight with good small fiber optic pins. appropriate stabilizer so that the bow rest's neutral in your hand after shooting. wrist strap..... release, and quiver. make sure the quiver you get locks the arrows in ROCK solid with 0 rattling at all.... you can't afford to make any noise.

As far as brands... hit the pro shops and test drive em all. fall in love with the bow.. that feels very comfortable when you have it drawn back and are in the pocket. by the time you leave the shop you should feel like if any animal is within 30 yards of you it's toast. you should have shot a lot... your muscles should be hurting.....

if you were silly enough to bring the wife and kids along, she should be threatening you with divorce by now.... are you getting that this should not be a quick process?

seriously take your time and let an expert help you set it up. it's gonna cost you a good bit more up front.. but it will make all the difference in the long run.
After getting the bow join a 3d archery league for a season. it's loads of fun and will get you up to hunting form quickly.

and if you ever need any help with one and are in my neck of the woods i will be happy to help you out.

Have fun.

Last edited by AceArcher; 05-27-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,493

AceArcher, fantastic post!

It just got bookmarked! I know who I'm going to bring with me when that time comes.

:thumbup: for you sir!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 PM
Red Snapper

Also don't fall in love with the newest, fastest, shortest, etc'est......

simple bow facts 101.

a long bow is much much more accurate and forgiving than a short bow. The shorter the bow is from axle to axle the less forgiving it will be. A bow of this type requires near perfect shooting form. for your first bow, i would suggest axle to axle length of better than 34 inches.

get a single cam bow, of somewhat older design with 30-34 inch axle to axle length.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:29 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post

It just got bookmarked! I know who I'm going to bring with me when that time comes.

Thanks Paul.... in all seriousness if anyone needs help with this stuff just PM me and i will be happy to help, It makes such a huge difference when your bow is set up right from the get go.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post

Agreed 1000% .. GREAT post
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

archerytalk.com, start reading. might seem like chinese at first but you will get alot of info from that site. i got into bow's about 6 years ago and that is where i started. there are some good pro shops around but the best thing you can do is learn how to tune and set up a bow yourself. its really not hard when you start to understand it. i took my training wheels off last year and started going trad. whole diff ball game but equally addicting.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:13 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

we need to have a few saltycajun shoots. i got my bow last year and need to put in a lot more target time. love shooting it though
Old 05-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msucowpoke51 View Post
Agreed 1000% .. GREAT post
Belive every thing Ace told you to the capital "T"!!!
Stay away from the big box store for this purchase can't be stressed enough,especially that your new to this scene!
You want this to be enjoyable not a nitemare, and if you knew enough to know already why to stay away belive me you would!! Lol
I've seen the box store archery techs start disasters from day one with green archers!
Feel free to pm me if you need help with any thing, and if you went to Cabellas then Bowie outfitters and the spillway sportsman are nearby, I've had good exp. @ both places although I do not deal with them often!
Good luck
Old 05-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Open View Post
Belive every thing Ace told you to the capital "T"!!!
Stay away from the big box store for this purchase can't be stressed enough,especially that your new to this scene!
You want this to be enjoyable not a nitemare, and if you knew enough to know already why to stay away belive me you would!! Lol
I've seen the box store archery techs start disasters from day one with green archers!
Feel free to pm me if you need help with any thing, and if you went to Cabellas then Bowie outfitters and the spillway sportsman are nearby, I've had good exp. @ both places although I do not deal with them often!
Good luck
Yea I went to Bowie before Cabela's the guy helping was very knowledgeable and helpful. He was a PRO Mathews guy and was doing his best to point me in that direction, it was a little tough for me to decipher between if he was trying to make a bigger sale of if he was being straight up in saying I needed to spend the extra money on a better bow

Nevertheless, he was very helpful, and I certainly respected the fact that he's a Mathews guy and pushed Mathews passionately (he believes in what he sells).
Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,467

Try a bowtech assassin. It is a main line bow ( from pro shops) but doesn't come with the price tag. I have owned 3 different bowtechs in the past and last year I purchased an assassin. The shoot great. Come with everything you need to start except the arrows and release. From there you can get the feel for it and upgrade if you feel like it. They are popular so almost every bowtech shop will have one to try. From there try the top of the line bows and tell the difference and weigh if it is worth it to you.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcckc2002 View Post
Try a bowtech assassin. It is a main line bow ( from pro shops) but doesn't come with the price tag. I have owned 3 different bowtechs in the past and last year I purchased an assassin. The shoot great. Come with everything you need to start except the arrows and release. From there you can get the feel for it and upgrade if you feel like it. They are popular so almost every bowtech shop will have one to try. From there try the top of the line bows and tell the difference and weigh if it is worth it to you.
Def. will do that .. Thanks!!
Old 05-27-2013, 09:19 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msucowpoke51 View Post
Yea I went to Bowie before Cabela's the guy helping was very knowledgeable and helpful. He was a PRO Mathews guy and was doing his best to point me in that direction, it was a little tough for me to decipher between if he was trying to make a bigger sale of if he was being straight up in saying I needed to spend the extra money on a better bow

Nevertheless, he was very helpful, and I certainly respected the fact that he's a Mathews guy and pushed Mathews passionately (he believes in what he sells).
Yes, they do push Mathews there rather strongly, and for a good reason! They make a great product, and stand behind it 100%!
They also carry other lines like Hoyt that is top of the line also. Like stated before shoot as many bows and brands as possible before the purchase. I've owned 6 different brands in the last 25 years , and still fall back to one, but 90% of the company's have it together and will offer more than adequate bows for your needs!
Make this decision count, when its all said and done and your sitting on opening day you'll feel confident and assured that you spent your money and time wisely.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Flounder

Cash: 642

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcckc2002 View Post
I agree. Im liking my assassin alot. Light and shoots good and isn't a bad price..
Old 05-27-2013, 10:13 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

I sold my bow earlier this year and miss it already.. Gonna upgrade here soon. My duck hunting time this year will be limited to Sunday mornings only due to working half day on Saturdays.. Figure ill put in some time at the land on Saturday evenings. I want to stick me several this year.
Probably heading to the shop end of June or mid July to buy me a new rig.