SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 12-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Redfish

Cash: 786
Default gun safe

has anyone heard of cannon gun safes. At tractor supply in moss bluff they are selling two sizes of gun safes and im thinking of buying one. just wanted to see if anyone has one and if you like it. i'd like to hear the feed back if you got one. thanks for the input.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Any gun safe is better than no gun safe.
I seen some gun safe's in Sam's last week.
They are selling almost everything over there.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

I have the big one from Tractor Supply, 37 gun I think..... I like it. I also have a Fortress 27 gun, the Fortress was $1600 & the Cannon 37 gun was $999....I like both, but if I was to get another it would be the Cannon, just for the fact that it is just as good construction at a cheaper price.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:06 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Not all gun safes are created equally.........Cannon is JUNK....go to a safe shop and get a good one..................Tim
Old 12-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Redfish

why do you say cannon is junk. What is wrong with it
Old 12-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

I disagree that Canon is junk. I own one and have been extremely pleased. A safe is a safe. It keeps my guns out of harms way & safe , esp with my 2 young kids around! Its big enough to store all my guns & ammo and it is fire resistant, (thank god I haven't had to test that feature).

I,m not gonna go spend an extra grand on a safe because of "name brand"
Old 12-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Blue Marlin

The only fire protection is a 1/2 inch sheet of sheetrock. They can be opened with basic hand tools. The safe lock itself is the worst part of it. They use the cheapest lock they can, and I get the calls everyyear. Some poor fella just spent weekend after weekend getting his foodplots/blinds ready and he cant get his safe open to go hunt........spend the extra money for a better safe. Also.......but the biggest one you can afford. Trust me once you get one, you'll find all kinds of stuff you want to put in it. One more thing. the fire rating on a gun safe(1 hour at 1800deg) and burglar/fire safe(1 hour at 1200deg) is different. If you plan on putting important paperwork and or cash in it, you'll need a seperate fire box to put them in, then put that in the gun safe, other wise your papers will char.........any other questions you can PM me........and yes, this is what I do for a living...Tim......
Old 12-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
The only fire protection is a 1/2 inch sheet of sheetrock. They can be opened with basic hand tools. The safe lock itself is the worst part of it. They use the cheapest lock they can, and I get the calls everyyear. Some poor fella just spent weekend after weekend getting his foodplots/blinds ready and he cant get his safe open to go hunt........spend the extra money for a better safe. Also.......but the biggest one you can afford. Trust me once you get one, you'll find all kinds of stuff you want to put in it. One more thing. the fire rating on a gun safe(1 hour at 1800deg) and burglar/fire safe(1 hour at 1200deg) is different. If you plan on putting important paperwork and or cash in it, you'll need a seperate fire box to put them in, then put that in the gun safe, other wise your papers will char.........any other questions you can PM me........and yes, this is what I do for a living...Tim......
HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM????

Tim.....if I remember my basic fire training chemistry........

To get a flame temperature of 1800 F you would need some kind of special burner and gas to get up anywhere near 1800 deg F. I am not sure if a normal propane gas cooker flame would get up that hot. A propane burner flame [nice and blue] may get up to 1200 deg F.

A normal "Wood" house fire flame [mostly a yellow flame] would be about 750 deg F measured at the tip of the flame.

Tim.....have you actually seen what the contents of a safe [yours vs the cheep ones] look like after a fire? What did any "paper" look like inside the safe?
Old 12-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Blue Marlin

I've only seen the tests on video......nothing in the container, so no I haven't seen what actually happens to the contents in a fire. I'd like to test them myself to see tho..... The temps I posted are the test temps that the UL folks use in their incenerator.....Lots of people don't know that the testing temps are different for different safes. Paper chars at 350deg. Not sure what 350 will do to a wood stock, but prolly not much, that's why they have the different test temps. Some manufaturers use a seal that expands when heat is applied. That is a fantastic feature..........
Old 12-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Redfish

the cannon safe has that seal, according to their specs. oh well, i think a safe is a safe is a safe. Thanks for the input guys. didnt mean to start ww3 lollol
Old 12-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

You just don't want to make it easy for the average dim witted burglar who
is just looking for something to steal in order to feed his drug habit.
If a pro burglar is going to break into your house, he will probably be able to
get into almost anything.
Live in a normal house and a pro burglar probably won't hit your home. Live
in a nice place and all they will see is $$$.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

i live in a trailer...
Old 12-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Redfish

i heard that. today people want something for nothing and it makes me sick. i work for what i have and dont plan on giving it someone for free. i just bouth the SBE2 and i have other nice guns and that is why i need a safe. Plus have have children.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

You'll like the cannon.

This is very similar to what I own, but I bought mine at Academy for ~ $800
http://www.cannonsafe.com/cannon-ser...figurable.html