SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,195

Think about what you are saying here W, oil companies favor having the government tell them they must have a rig out by X date v/s allowing them to take thier time and do it as they see fit or as becomes more cost effective? They like having more restrictions setup for them? I doubt it.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
Where did anyone complain about oil companies not cleaning up after themselves and who has the FAS 143 plug and abandoment/decommsion cost? I think the argument is about the required timing by the government and the methods that are being used as a result.

Geez this is like arguing with a 4th grader.

Nevermind.
You cannot win trying to talk sense into lil man....it's like trying to drive nails into a brick wall.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

And this is a fact Jack , most Foreman's offshore know 100xs more than a guy in the office pushing papers and #s !!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
In perfect world case !!! One removal we just did cost about 2.3 mill

Work needed cost about 1.8 mill

When a well is made you have money allocated for removal of that platform, a abandon platform is sitting in saltwater !!

Now if you had a 2 pile structure that would cost 10mill to remove it could be worth the delay, but when ot starts rusting up the repair damage will cost in the millions also!

The platform on that vid cost about 500,000 in PNA and about 1.5 to remove , which money has already been allocated for that!
See my post above, you are saying companies want the government to tell them when they have to do something. If it were better to blow rigs up the day a rig become a dry hole or is non productive then why were there rigs just sitting out in the gulf for 10+ years?

I'm done with the thread, you need alot more tools than you have for us to have this conversation.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
And this is a fact Jack , most Foreman's offshore know 100xs more than a guy in the office pushing papers and #s !!
The foreman offshore knows more about running the rig, yep I would agree with that. The CEO probably knows a little bit more about managing[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE]cash flow and making payroll. This is a financial issue not a who can find the oil and run the rig issue. Again let's drop it, I wish I would have never pointed out was is very obvious to the rest of us to you.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Think about what you are saying here W, oil companies favor having the government tell them they must have a rig out by X date v/s allowing them to take thier time and do it as they see fit or as becomes more cost effective? They like having more restrictions setup for them? I doubt it.
Government has to enforce laws or you could get a maw and paw company who just let's a platform rust to no end and fall over in a small storm .
So yes government laws are in place for my safety and everyone else safety ! I sure the hell don't want to walk on a platform and fall though grading ?

Have you ever been offshore ??
Old 02-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Government has to enforce laws or you could get a maw and paw company who just let's a platform rust to no end and fall over in a small storm .
So yes government laws are in place for my safety and everyone else safety ! I sure the hell don't want to walk on a platform and fall though grading ?

Now we are on safety....lol here we go. This a tread about snapper
Old 02-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
See my post above, you are saying companies want the government to tell them when they have to do something. If it were better to blow rigs up the day a rig become a dry hole or is non productive then why were there rigs just sitting out in the gulf for 10+ years?

I'm done with the thread, you need alot more tools than you have for us to have this conversation.

Its a platform,, not a rig!!! Rig is what drills for oil! They move and are not stationary

Platform,, is what produces oil! It is placed stationary

Know your facts before you try to argue at point you have zero knowledge about!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:

Ok and Mr. Rig know it all do you know how that takes place? A bond yep even a mom and pop can (and does) drill offshore if they can put up a bond to cover the P&A cost. Totally different subject but you are reaching now.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Its a platform,, not a rig!!! Rig is what drills for oil! They move and are not stationary

Platform,, is what produces oil! It is placed stationary

Know your facts before you try to argue at point you have zero knowledge about!
35% or more of my firms business comes from either the upstream or downstream energy sector. We have several clients with operations in the gulf most of which are very small players which is why I stay up to speed regarding regulations. This is a financial conversation which is why I find it so funny you try to come on here and speak as an authority and with conviction. Have you ever taken an advanced finance class? Tell us about Sunk cost and opportunity cost.

Or better yet don't and lets just drop it.

They only reason I posted was becuase of the bad information you were providing to the members of the board. I should realize that most people on the site do not listen to you on any matter other than fishing. That is the one area you are an expert and I tip my cap to you. Even then you let your personal agenda spew into fishing conversations such as this and the oil spill.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Quote:

Lol!! Not done after all?
Old 02-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
35% or more of my firms business comes from either the upstream or downstream energy sector. We have several clients with operations in the gulf most of which are very small players which is why I stay up to speed regarding regulations. This is a financial conversation which is why I find it so funny you try to come on here and speak as an authority and with conviction. Have you ever taken an advanced finance class? Tell us about Sunk cost and opportunity cost.

Or better yet don't and lets just drop it.

They only reason I posted was becuase of the bad information you were providing to the members of the board. I should realize that most people on the site do not listen to you on any matter other than fishing. That is the one area you are an expert and I tip my cap to you. Even then you let your personal agenda spew into fishing conversations such as this and the oil spill.

Bottom line is there is zero shortage of red snapper in the Gulf and look how many were on that small 4 pile ??

Millions of snapper in the gulf , so if you want to make a fight . Make it about how the Feds are blowing smoke up the peoples Azz about snapper shortage !

Ask charter captains to stop killing under size snapper or the ones they don't want to keep!
Don't blame the oil field for staying safe and compliance by removing old abandon platforms

Info I posted was 100% facts
Old 02-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Lol!! Not done after all?
Lol, this time I promise.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Bottom line is there is zero shortage of red snapper in the Gulf and look how many were on that small 4 pile ??

Millions of snapper in the gulf , so if you want to make a fight . Make it about how the Feds are blowing smoke up the peoples Azz about snapper shortage !

Ask charter captains to stop killing under size snapper or the ones they don't want to keep!
Don't blame the oil field for staying safe and compliance by removing old abandon platforms

Info I posted was 100% facts
ok..... I think we all agree with you on that. I think I even said "if your argument were -insert your post above- we would all agree with you".

Glad you are coming around, you are making progress W and I am proud of you. Have a great Sunday.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

Sarcasm is pretty thick
Old 02-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

The main issue with leaving the 'rigs' (I know they are called platforms but the rigs to reef program didn't get that memo I guess) is LIABILITY. It is in writing that the oil companies have to remove the platform after the lease or whatever runs out. They are simply following the law, its not their fault. They would just assume save money and leave the rig standing there but that goes back to liability. If they were to leave it there and a boat hits it at night, they are coming after the oil company. If the oil platform is donated to the state for a reef, and a boat hits the reef at night, etc. they are coming after the state for money. The state would have to put lights on these things and lighting for that size of a structure would require a generator, diesel, maintenance, etc. I believe there is a moratorium on the removal of rigs right now as they try and figure the best strategy. Its obvious that the platforms support tons of marine life, the oil companies have their hands tied in a sense they are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
The state/feds need to figure a way to keep these structures out there for habitat and couple that with reduction in liability. Also, a platform not being maintained (welded, painted) will eventually rust out and fall over. If a fishing vessel was there tied up and the platform fell onto their boat, they are suing somebody.

Its a very interesting predicament and I hope the outcome benefits the fish and fishermen. The Rigs to Reefs program is a great program but 'they' can't figure out how to get around the legal issue of liability. And, our governor keeps raiding the fund for other usages
Old 02-10-2013, 03:31 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Agreed db.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Here is your problem If let's say the State takes over for a reef!

The State now has to hire a staff to maintain these platforms and keep Coast Guard and Nav Aids working properly and would have to keep the structure safe for maintenance of the Nav Aids .

Safety Is #1 in Gulf
Safety
Compliance
Production

So it is going to cost the state millions to maintain these structures in a safe manner

There was a fight a while back about the removal of a platform around the flower gardens , not sure the outcome of that
Old 02-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Here is your problem If let's say the State takes over for a reef!

The State now has to hire a staff to maintain these platforms and keep Coast Guard and Nav Aids working properly and would have to keep the structure safe for maintenance of the Nav Aids .

Safety Is #1 in Gulf
Safety
Compliance
Production

So it is going to cost the state millions to maintain these structures in a safe manner

There was a fight a while back about the removal of a platform around the flower gardens , not sure the outcome of that
There are millions that were ear marked to restoration and programs to promote and restore the fishery, unfortuantly your governor is using the money in other places.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Couple of new items

http://wlf.louisiana.gov/news/36342

and this just went down, didn't see any outcome of the very last one King Bobby is getting ready to make a run for President in 2016, he better clear this one up quick
REVISED Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission Meeting Agenda

Printable Version
Release Date: 02/04/2013

The next regular Commission Meeting will be held at 9:30 AM on Thursday, February 7, 2013, at the Waddill Outdoor Education Center, 4142 North Flannery Rd, Baton Rouge, LA 70814.
The following items will be discussed:
1. Roll Call
2. Approval of Minutes of January 3, 2013
3. Commission Special Announcements/Personal Privilege
4. To Hear Enforcement & Aviation Reports/January
5. To receive and consider a Notice of Intent for the 2013 – 2015 Hunting Seasons and 2013-2014 WMA Seasons
6. To receive and consider a Notice of Intent on General/WMA Hunting Rules and Regulations
7. To present recognition to the Tangipahoa Parish School Board for continued free lease of lands comprising the WMA
8. To receive and consider a Notice of Intent on DMAP Fee Corrections
9. To receive and consider a resolution to add the Rathborne Tract to the Maurepas Swamp WMA
10. To consider the Alternative Oyster Culture Permit proposed Rule for final Rule
11. To receive and consider a Declaration of Emergency on Fisheries Closures due to Oil Spill
12. To receive a presentation of Annual Stock Assessment Report for Striped Mullet
13. Discussion of the 2013 Red Snapper Season
14. To receive and consider a Notice of Intent to designate the fishing boundary for Lake D’Arbonne for purposes of crappie regulations
15. To receive and consider a Notice of Intent related to black bass regulations in the Atchafalaya Basin, Lake Verret, Lake Palourde, and Fausse Pointe Lake
16. To elect Vice-Chairman
17. Set June 2013 Meeting Date
18. Receive Public Comments
19. Executive Session to Discuss Prospective Litigation relative to return of Artificial Reef Fund Monies
20. Adjournment