SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 07-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Just looked it up... Here's a pic. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372731218.056290.jpg
Old 07-01-2013, 09:51 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Not the same boat I saw , but that same freeman was tied up to the dock Thursday at cypress cove
Old 07-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Sounds like he had a "F it" moment. Didn't want to run and/or burn the gas (was there a fuel surcharge?) for tuna that weren't really "on" - my buddy went this weekend with Eddie Burger and only put one decent YF and some smaller tuna in the boat.

Also sounds like he didn't want to mess with and/or pay for pogies pre trip. The costs never end for offshore guides and the cash register spins in most of their heads constantly. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

The fish cleaning also speaks to a "F it" attitude of just wanting to get the whole day over with.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightwindow View Post
Sounds like he had a "F it" moment. Didn't want to run and/or burn the gas (was there a fuel surcharge?) for tuna that weren't really "on" - my buddy went this weekend with Eddie Burger and only put one decent YF and some smaller tuna in the boat.

Also sounds like he didn't want to mess with and/or pay for pogies pre trip. The costs never end for offshore guides and the cash register spins in most of their heads constantly. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

The fish cleaning also speaks to a "F it" attitude of just wanting to get the whole day over with.
That is what I was wondering also.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:58 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

All charters that I have been on, excluding deep south, require that the customer pay the fuel bill.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:25 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
I have been tuna fishing with 2 different captains and was never asked how I wanted my fish cleaned. They were always left on the half shell and that left us with a little work when we got home but it is nice so that we can clearly identify what type of fish each filet is. It didnt bother us.

We have caught more fish on some charters than others but I have never got off a charter trip with the feeling that the captain did not do everything that he could to fill the fish box.

I also never got done with a trip and had any extra energy. The captains know that it is their job to wear the crew out until they dont wanna catch anymore fish.
All we caught was snapper we didn't need to tell them apart he cleaned them half ***.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Yeah he runs a 33 freeman I think...
Yeah that's the boat
Old 07-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightwindow View Post

We paid for what we used. He filled up when we got back and that was our gas bill.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

How was the ride on that Freeman?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
they are some sweet riding boats..and fast for a cat
Old 07-02-2013, 12:41 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Like a caddy
Old 07-02-2013, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,491

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
they are some sweet riding boats..and fast for a cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Like a caddy

So very true!
Old 07-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

I call BS..........Mike is one of the best there is. Your first post and it's to bash a well respected guide.

Not a good form my man. You may indeed have a gripe..........but doing it this way is just bad form.

Tuna fishing is not for the weak of heart and ofter cathcing bait is indeed the hardest part. Several reports on other forums confirms bait has been hard to come by.

As for cleaning the fish, most want it on the half shell, I know it's a little work when you get home, but you can clean it how you want AND identify the fish.

Not really trying to bust your balls, but I have known Mike for some time and watch his post and pics to prove said catch. I have been on the water with him in another boat and he has helped to put us on fish.

Some time stuff just goes wrong ..........
Old 07-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
It's a nice riding boat
Old 07-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
I call BS..........Mike is one of the best there is. Your first post and it's to bash a well respected guide.

Not a good form my man. You may indeed have a gripe..........but doing it this way is just bad form.

Tuna fishing is not for the weak of heart and ofter cathcing bait is indeed the hardest part. Several reports on other forums confirms bait has been hard to come by.

As for cleaning the fish, most want it on the half shell, I know it's a little work when you get home, but you can clean it how you want AND identify the fish.

Not really trying to bust your balls, but I have known Mike for some time and watch his post and pics to prove said catch. I have been on the water with him in another boat and he has helped to put us on fish.

Well man I never he was a bad fisherman I'm just saying it was a bad time because he was kinda of a jerk. He could have bought some poggy and we only had one kind of fish snapper I can tell the difference between snapper and snapper.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:

We also talked to two other guides when we got into Venice and they were catching on hard tail less than 60 miles out. I just wanted to catch something other than snapper mahi,wahoo, grouper something.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

i went to venice last week, stopped at 3-4 different spots for bait, nothing.. then fished hard for 5-6 hours trying to bring tuna up and mark somethin on fish finders at Mars, Ursa, Medusa, etc... and nothing.. so we had to suck up our pride and catch some hammer snaps on the way in after a long day.. i was disappointed with no other fish but it wasnt from lack of effort.. it just didnt happen..

kinda like hunting when you do everything right but the conditions arent right and you dont kill a 'limit'... s*** happens
Old 07-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866

and might i add, no other boats brought in tuna to venice marina that day...
Old 07-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty wambsgans View Post
Well man I never he was a bad fisherman I'm just saying it was a bad time because he was kinda of a jerk. He could have bought some poggy and we only had one kind of fish snapper I can tell the difference between snapper and snapper.

I hear you buddy. I have NEVER had pogie on a tuna trip........sounds like he was pissed he could not hook you guys on some tuna.

three hours casting a net is busting you *** for bait.
60 miles out, let's me know he was giving it hell too.....

I say call him up, talk through it and give him a second chance (if he gives you one)

Don't hide your disappointment behind a key board. He has be around quite a while and I know he would appreciate a heads up call
Old 07-02-2013, 05:55 PM
Great White

Quote:
I hear you buddy. I have NEVER had pogie on a tuna trip........sounds like he was pissed he could not hook you guys on some tuna.

three hours casting a net is busting you *** for bait.
60 miles out, let's me know he was giving it hell too.....

I say call him up, talk through it and give him a second chance (if he gives you one)

Don't hide your disappointment behind a key board. He has be around quite a while and I know he would appreciate a heads up call
I don't think he went out 60 miles... That's what the other captains did if you re read his post