SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 07-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
I don't think he went out 60 miles... That's what the other captains did if you re read his post
got it
Old 07-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

What time did you get back to the marina?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

I have been with captains that brought pogey on different occasions for tuna. Guess it depends on what time of year and what the been biting on. But if my captain don't have live bait on board he damn well better have pogey or something of some sort for chunking if there is no live bait to be found.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Ling

Come to think of it...........I HAVE had pogie on the boat.....during the winter on the lump.
We chumed with them.....the used cut fresh bonito for bait......we caught the bonito on the pogie.......

Had to disclose........still Eddie is a good one
Old 07-03-2013, 06:13 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
What time did you get back to the marina?
Same thing I was thinking........
Old 07-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

They only reputation a guide has is word of mouth from his customers. You have a bad day and take it out on your customers that goes a long way. He might be a damn good guide, but if he put together a bad trip for these guys then he needs to accept the consequences.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Ling

Can't disagree..........but dead men can't speak and the OP shot him dead with his first ever post on Salty Cajun
Old 07-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 619

I don't post on here much, and I've also never fished with Mike, but I know what a first post drive by shooting looks like, and this is it.

I have NEVER fished with any guide that would throw a cast net for 3 hours for me. That's working hard for the trip.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Trial View Post
I don't post on here much, and I've also never fished with Mike, but I know what a first post drive by shooting looks like, and this is it.

I have NEVER fished with any guide that would throw a cast net for 3 hours for me. That's working hard for the trip.
I agree, throwing a castnet for that long definitely shows he put some effort in. I would like to hear the Capt's side of the story. But maybe after the first hour or two the capt should have asked if they wanted to do something else. Also, if he knew bait was hard to come by he should have made a backup plan to try to catch other types of fish other than a boat limit of snapper. Like I said earlier there was a communication breakdown somewhere
Old 07-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Ling

Not saying this is what happened at all.......BUT........
What if a group (not the OP) but ........a group of guys step on your Freeman with thier white framed sun glasses and salt life t-shirts with three ice-chest of beer and start pounding beer at 6AM and by nine the couldn't stand straight enough to boat a 50lb YFT if they got paid for it.

Would you be pissed? Would you stop trying?

Again, we are hearing one side only.............
Old 07-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 552

I just found out about this fiasco and bash on me from a armchair captain. But if anyone wants the other side of the story then here it is.
I greeted the group the morning before the trip after talking to them over the phone several times about the weather and boat repairs at the time. That's my job so no big deal. Some of the conversations were about the weather and out options for the trip. I told them with weather coming in and that running offshore would not be in the cards. But if I could find some herring we could have a shot in close for tuna. The herring have been on the west side with a few on the east side. I ran east due to weather. One charter ran to the west looking for them and turned back because it as to rough. and he had to run back to where I was on the east side. One inaccuracy is I had no frozen bait onboard. I did 8 rigged ballyhoo from Baitmasters oh which I was not going to cut up for snapper unless I absolutely had to. They were reserved in case we found a line or some dolphin. Even though I didn't think we were going offshore I had the tools to do so. But I did not have any frozen poagy as mentioned. As I have been cast netting my live poagy very easily most mornings. So that was the way we started off. I did throw the net quite a bit not sure if it was three hours but I did throw a 12' way more than my back wanted to. The bait was tough but we had what we needed for the day. The 12 mile rigs had every charter in Venice at them. Why you ask because of the weather. I don't like crowds so I went looking elsewhere. Only to find boats everywhere. On the way to another set of rigs I did find some herring and caught a couple before they disappeared. But by now the weather is settling in on us. And we were short on time to try and make it tuna fishing. So I switched gears to red snapper and mangrove fish. At first the snapper were small. But after a few moves and a storm cell sitting over where I wanted to go. We went back to the original spot and pretty quickly caught a limit of snapper from 10-18lbs. Which was the best box of snapper I saw that day. Actualy had another captain say something about the fish. Now I didn't have a snapper rod for everyone and my excuse is I cant carry that many rods with tuna and snapper rods. They wanted to do it all. So I tried to accommodate them. I carried five snapper rods and my tuna rods. The snapper drill tis to hold upcurrent and drop down to the depth the snapper are holding at. This is best done in heavy current with only two anglers dropping. Less chance of line in the wheels. I could sense they wanted to just tie up and everyone have a rod in there hand so I did just that. After we got our red snapper I switched gears and went mangrove fishing. Now with the missed fish our bait supply was getting smaller. But we still had enough if we made them count. After a couple of jack cravelle I got it figured out and we started catching our mangroves easily. We did have some missed opportunities but that is fishing. In hindsight I should of just went snapper fishing and not trying for most of the morning looking for tuna bait. But I was trying to accommodate their wishes. We ended the day with our red snapper and a handful of pretty good mangroves.
Now for the fish cleaning thing. I explained the way I was going to clean them and why, half of the group was good with it. And I assume the OP was the guy that was not. The cleaning tables down in Venice are not the best place to fine tune your fish. I wont let any fish I eat touch the table to much bacteria. Its easier to portion the fish up and trim out the red in the and take them off the skin where you have good clean conditions. So they borrowed some knives and proceed to butcher the hell out of the fillets I had taken off the fish. At that point I figured if they didn't care about there fish I didn't so I took my knife and took the skin off of them for them. And this is after I had already been paid and on top it off with no tip. So I don't see where the complaint is coming from. Nothing was said at the dock but the keyboard must make it easy for people to hide and voice there opinions. I did thank it was funny that they had complaints about the guy they chartered last year. I didn't get the story when they asked me if I knew him and I told him he was a friend. What kind of bashing was he gonna get. But a side note he did catch the only yellow caught that day while mangrove fishing. Thank you for reading my side.
Capt. Mike
Old 07-03-2013, 11:38 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

Welcome to Salty Cajun Capt. Mike. Would be great to get some reports and pics from you in the future
Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

And there it is. Thanks for the other side capt
Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Sounds like your Sports aren't happy with out a trip of a lifetime.......But I'm sure you encounter that a lot Capt. Also sounds like you worked hard to satisfy their needs. Sometimes it just don't work out......

Stick around man, lets see some reports and fish!!!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Ling

Top shelf Mike!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Swordfish

There u have it
Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless Sportfishing View Post
I just found out about this fiasco and bash on me from a armchair captain. But if anyone wants the other side of the story then here it is.
I greeted the group the morning before the trip after talking to them over the phone several times about the weather and boat repairs at the time. That's my job so no big deal. Some of the conversations were about the weather and out options for the trip. I told them with weather coming in and that running offshore would not be in the cards. But if I could find some herring we could have a shot in close for tuna. The herring have been on the west side with a few on the east side. I ran east due to weather. One charter ran to the west looking for them and turned back because it as to rough. and he had to run back to where I was on the east side. One inaccuracy is I had no frozen bait onboard. I did 8 rigged ballyhoo from Baitmasters oh which I was not going to cut up for snapper unless I absolutely had to. They were reserved in case we found a line or some dolphin. Even though I didn't think we were going offshore I had the tools to do so. But I did not have any frozen poagy as mentioned. As I have been cast netting my live poagy very easily most mornings. So that was the way we started off. I did throw the net quite a bit not sure if it was three hours but I did throw a 12' way more than my back wanted to. The bait was tough but we had what we needed for the day. The 12 mile rigs had every charter in Venice at them. Why you ask because of the weather. I don't like crowds so I went looking elsewhere. Only to find boats everywhere. On the way to another set of rigs I did find some herring and caught a couple before they disappeared. But by now the weather is settling in on us. And we were short on time to try and make it tuna fishing. So I switched gears to red snapper and mangrove fish. At first the snapper were small. But after a few moves and a storm cell sitting over where I wanted to go. We went back to the original spot and pretty quickly caught a limit of snapper from 10-18lbs. Which was the best box of snapper I saw that day. Actualy had another captain say something about the fish. Now I didn't have a snapper rod for everyone and my excuse is I cant carry that many rods with tuna and snapper rods. They wanted to do it all. So I tried to accommodate them. I carried five snapper rods and my tuna rods. The snapper drill tis to hold upcurrent and drop down to the depth the snapper are holding at. This is best done in heavy current with only two anglers dropping. Less chance of line in the wheels. I could sense they wanted to just tie up and everyone have a rod in there hand so I did just that. After we got our red snapper I switched gears and went mangrove fishing. Now with the missed fish our bait supply was getting smaller. But we still had enough if we made them count. After a couple of jack cravelle I got it figured out and we started catching our mangroves easily. We did have some missed opportunities but that is fishing. In hindsight I should of just went snapper fishing and not trying for most of the morning looking for tuna bait. But I was trying to accommodate their wishes. We ended the day with our red snapper and a handful of pretty good mangroves.
Now for the fish cleaning thing. I explained the way I was going to clean them and why, half of the group was good with it. And I assume the OP was the guy that was not. The cleaning tables down in Venice are not the best place to fine tune your fish. I wont let any fish I eat touch the table to much bacteria. Its easier to portion the fish up and trim out the red in the and take them off the skin where you have good clean conditions. So they borrowed some knives and proceed to butcher the hell out of the fillets I had taken off the fish. At that point I figured if they didn't care about there fish I didn't so I took my knife and took the skin off of them for them. And this is after I had already been paid and on top it off with no tip. So I don't see where the complaint is coming from. Nothing was said at the dock but the keyboard must make it easy for people to hide and voice there opinions. I did thank it was funny that they had complaints about the guy they chartered last year. I didn't get the story when they asked me if I knew him and I told him he was a friend. What kind of bashing was he gonna get. But a side note he did catch the only yellow caught that day while mangrove fishing. Thank you for reading my side.
Capt. Mike

well there we go.. Sounds like you did your job. Some ppl must not understand that the fish aren't always biting and the weather isn't always cooperating.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 552

Thanks for the welcome to this site. I will start to put my post on here. It looks like a good site.
Capt. Mike
Old 07-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless Sportfishing View Post
Thanks for the welcome to this site. I will start to put my post on here. It looks like a good site.
Capt. Mike
Thats great, thanks Capt!!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Swordfish

Always like seeing them blue water reports and pics. How has the mangrove bite been down that way?