SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061
Default Goose hunting water vs dry

I've never had the same success when hunting water versus being in a dry field. Especially if duck decoys are in sight. What are y'all's experiences with this?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:17 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,970

Quote:
Originally Posted by southLA View Post
I've never had the same success when hunting water versus being in a dry field. Especially if duck decoys are in sight. What are y'all's experiences with this?
never really noticed a difference ...are u saying duck decoys helped?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,061

I'm saying they wouldn't even work at all when the duck decoys were out. Maybe it's just me but I feel much more confident in a dry/puddled field than a flooded rice field
Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by southLA View Post
I'm saying they wouldn't even work at all when the duck decoys were out. Maybe it's just me but I feel much more confident in a dry/puddled field than a flooded rice field
A lot of people leave one side of their blind dry for geese and the other side with a buffaloed pond wit water on the other side for ducks. They also leave their decoys out. My experience is geese will avoid a pond wit duck decoys in it like the plague because everytime they fly over one the levee explodes and their friends die.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:48 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
A lot of people leave one side of their blind dry for geese and the other side with a buffaloed pond wit water on the other side for ducks. They also leave their decoys out. My experience is geese will avoid a pond wit duck decoys in it like the plague because everytime they fly over one the levee explodes and their friends die.
HAHAHAHA well said sir!
Old 01-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
Perfectly put. Just like to add that geese are more confident in concentrations. They have some 10yrs old they don't get that old from being easy to kill. I was always told an eagle head was a really old mature blue. 10-12. They know and if you have a few ducks and a few geese they wary already compared to the wads they feed and sleep with. That leads into previous quoted post.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

this answer your question?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0842.jpg (74.8 KB, 201 views)
Old 01-31-2013, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck View Post
Nice Photoshop Job!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:08 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

They want to be where the food is regardless of water. If I was targeting them I would pick up the duck decoys, I dont think they help.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
Nice Photoshop Job!
Yeah right! I dont have them skills like W.

But for real we have been killing specks even when our bigfoots looked like floaters out there.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:12 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
No
Old 01-31-2013, 05:33 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

You can kill geese over water just as dry. But water depth could play a factor. Shallow water is what all waterfowl wants. Plowed mud puddle fields are good. Stubble fields are good sheet water is good. But it all needs to look consistent. Dry on one side and flooded on other screams blind. Not saying you can't kill a few but all or nothing usually works better. I know a guy who hunts nothing but flooded and he's prolly killed more geese out of his blinds this year than most people on this site put together. Lol.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:33 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand16 View Post
They want to be where the food is regardless of water. If I was targeting them I would pick up the duck decoys, I dont think they help.
Agree 100% its hard to pick between ducks and geese but I've been told basically you can't have your cake and eat it too. Too many more ppl rather kill a bunch a ducks and a few or no geese than just geese like 80% of south Louisiana because we have a sportsmans paradise. Best of both worlds. But truly I envy you guys that hunt dry and give up the ducks because I'd honestly rather the challenge. I really believe into, wheb goose hunting 100% calling and cover matters in every situation. Duck hunting, we have all been in blinds that big ducks just want to be in just pour into no matter what. Ppl may expierience it but when they do they are do it ALL right. You don't have to do that for ducks ALL the time. Once fields get damp but not cement dry its easier for them to get more bang for their buck in a sence that their aren't eating just tops they eat the whole plant roots n all compared to the smaller on avg duck who forages on floating seed. They gotta eat more because they have to exert more energy to fly as High and as far as they do compared to the size of the bird they are. Really, think about it they have 8 ft wings span. They have to power that for hundreds of miles or thousands if need be that exerting alot of energy so carbing up on stubble and roots rather than just floating seed seems more reasonable. Imo
Old 01-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,504

Quote:
Yeah right! I dont have them skills like W.

But for real we have been killing specks even when our bigfoots looked like floaters out there.
I know, y'all have had an incredible season this year. I hope it makes up somewhat for your season last year.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
I know, y'all have had an incredible season this year. I hope it makes up somewhat for your season last year.
It helps!
Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
You can kill geese over water just as dry. But water depth could play a factor. Shallow water is what all waterfowl wants. Plowed mud puddle fields are good. Stubble fields are good sheet water is good. But it all needs to look consistent. Dry on one side and flooded on other screams blind. Not saying you can't kill a few but all or nothing usually works better. I know a guy who hunts nothing but flooded and he's prolly killed more geese out of his blinds this year than most people on this site put together. Lol.
This is gold!! I wish evry thread would go like this. This is really good info from great hunters. I learned alot this yr in line island like too dawg said just by giving them the illusion that its one field and all consistant helps alot. Maybe your water the same but you levy brush too high not only to they have great depth perception and you can see it as they naturally rise over a tall levy. But more importantly they notice the little things that you don't notice the things that scream blind or "THIS ISN'T NATURAL" pressure grass water level calling at the wrong times for certain situations or doing a perusing hail when they are close and should be doing nothing or clicking only telling them its cool I love it here and they got good 2 not "HEY I KNOW YOUR CLOSE AS CRAP BUT IM STILL GONNA HOLLA AT YOU" you'd find it weird if I screamed in your face. ThAts a few things I learned this yr trying to master these beloved geese. There ain't nothing like speaking the language a speck wants to hear you pulling them on a string with just a simple conversation spittin game like you do for a woman. Suddle at close quarters but aggressive when they don't cooperate
Old 01-31-2013, 06:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

6 inches of water, both sides. Kill ducks and geese every day. People all over do it all the time
Old 01-31-2013, 07:19 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle creek View Post
6 inches of water, both sides. Kill ducks and geese every day. People all over do it all the time
Yup
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
This is gold!! I wish evry thread would go like this. This is really good info from great hunters. I learned alot this yr in line island like too dawg said just by giving them the illusion that its one field and all consistant helps alot. Maybe your water the same but you levy brush too high not only to they have great depth perception and you can see it as they naturally rise over a tall levy. But more importantly they notice the little things that you don't notice the things that scream blind or "THIS ISN'T NATURAL" pressure grass water level calling at the wrong times for certain situations or doing a perusing hail when they are close and should be doing nothing or clicking only telling them its cool I love it here and they got good 2 not "HEY I KNOW YOUR CLOSE AS CRAP BUT IM STILL GONNA HOLLA AT YOU" you'd find it weird if I screamed in your face. ThAts a few things I learned this yr trying to master these beloved geese. There ain't nothing like speaking the language a speck wants to hear you pulling them on a string with just a simple conversation spittin game like you do for a woman. Suddle at close quarters but aggressive when they don't cooperate
You gonna get back on that lease in Pine Island, or you lookin for something different? Teal season is a guarantee there.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:12 PM
Sailfish

No man we lost it! Teal was magnif. 60% of big duck season was teal 2. 530teal 13/16dats hunted. 21min longest hunt