SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

Give it time. You'll have some.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:59 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 714

I used to work with this guy Mr. Danny and his son in law. We all went fishing one day after work in seperate boats. Well Mr. Danny and his son in law were the first ones back and I pulled up just in time for the show! Danny told son in law to go get the truck so he does. Mr. Danny fails to tell him he has some new Teflon boards on the trailor so he drives the boat on the trailor and signals him to pull forward! That dude punched it and drove all the way to the road to give other people room to load and never noticed Danny and the boat sitting in the middle of the launch! Thank god it was not a glass boat. With the help of the rest of the people laughing their butts off we pushed it back in and tried again but hooking the chain that time.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Gary's landing, 3 days before Christmas and the water was very high. Big backed my boat down past the ramp and it was too deep for me to even grab the side bunks and I was not going to get necked. I finally told him to drag it out, 4 wd low did it but the axle came out sideways. Made out hunt and after driving to Eunice for another trailer we got it back to be serviced.

Last summer wife wants to go crabbing at Lamberts, launch boat by myself and park. Get back to boat and she informed me I left the plugs out and water was coming in! Find plugs hit bilge and she was semi dry going through Grand.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Redfish

Cash: 822

My then 8 year old son was helping me put the boat in, I had untied the tie-downs, and loosened the winch bow strap. As I backed the boat in, it started floating and didnt stop!!!! My son had gone around and "helped" daddy by unhooking the bow strap. After a good 60+ yard swim I got the boat back. To this day that is his favorite story!!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:29 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Wow, got some great stories here. One more:

Not at the boat ramp, but my kids keep reminding me of it, so it must be memorable:

It was about our third trip fishing the Colorado mountain reservoirs, and we were absolutely smoking the (freshwater) trout. Three of my kids and I put a limit in the box in a couple of hours. Things were fast and furious with multiple nets in use at the same time, flipping the fish into the bottom of the boat just to free up the net for the next fish. We get home and when I clean the fish, I notice that we're one fish short of a limit, so I simply figure that we miscounted in all the excitement.

Three days later, the smell coming from the boat revealed that we had counted correctly and one of the fish had flopped into a storage area.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Flounder

Cash: 838

Pulled into Sweetwater Marina early one morning, and my buddy and I commenced to loading gear, unstrapping the boat, talking with the guys working around there, getting our sweetwater special, general early morning excited hustle. We backed the boat down the ramp and into the water. Kept going back, and as the trailer went deeper into the water, the back of the boat started to drag under too. Water started pouring over the back. Only then did I realize that I had only taken off one of the two straps that hold the back of the boat down and the second one was dragging me down with the trailer. Damn near sunk the boat at the ramp. The sweetwater guys got a kick out of that.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Both involved LOW water, once at Beouf River bout 4 in the morning been frog hunting seeing tons of gators backed too far down, had to get in the water and push up the trailer while buddy pulled up

2nd time was with Superthrill down in Golden Meadow in February, tide was LOW and went off end of ramp. Figured I could get in the boat and pick up the bunks of the trailer and hold em up while he drove off. Ended up using the net to grab one of the bunks well it didn't work and the net broke. Had to strip down and push it out was cold, but next day we were fishing and he hung a beast of a trout (well over 7 lbs) right next to boat and since we had no net you know the rest of the story At least it wasn't me
Here is a slick trick for trailer backed down too far- off the end of the ramp. Ease the anchor down and catch the back of the trailer, pull it up a little then slowly move truck and trailer forward and back on the ramp. Doesn't always work but it's worth a try. Better than stripping down when it's cold.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,330
BigGrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottogo49 View Post
Here is a slick trick for trailer backed down too far- off the end of the ramp. Ease the anchor down and catch the back of the trailer, pull it up a little then slowly move truck and trailer forward and back on the ramp. Doesn't always work but it's worth a try. Better than stripping down when it's cold.
Great idea, would've never thought of it.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Flounder

Cash: 803

OK before I start I have to clarify that the following is not my wife's fault. I had a very high trailer that tilted the only way to launch was to pull the pin to tilt. One day when returning I backed the trailer down , then told her to pull up when I waved, drove boat on trailer gave the wave and off we go. Didn't realize I had not latched the trailer when it got to the top of the launch it tilted and we launched in the middle of the parking lot.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:18 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I think most of us have needed a second try at the trailer when the wind and/or tide pushed us sideways. But last year I had a few memorable ones:

good

The 90hp Merc would only go in reverse. We put in at Calcasieu Point and backed out. We had to go in reverse in a big circle back to the dock and then hand line onto the trailer.

better

Lifting a cooler out of the boat in the prep area at Calcasieu Point. The handle of the cooler broke off and I was lifting with so much force my fist flew into my nose and left me bleeding all over the parking lot.

best

I was talking about all the fish we caught with the guys at the dock. Wasn't paying attention and walked right off the dock into the water. The good folks at the dock fished me out, but were joking about it for weeks. I'm glad no one took a picture of the last two.

I spit coke on my keyboard! Thanks!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Not me but my son. Having trailer issues. Brought it to the shop and they put teflon on the bunks. Son took the boat to Ellender's Bridge to launch and undid the strap and all then started backing down and launched the boat in the middle of the ramp.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

4 of us arrive at my camp early one morning, we hook up boats & go to launch on our landing, When my 2 buddies start down the ramp one is backing down with truck & the other is sitting in seat on front deck, ramp is STEEP & about 50 yards to the water, well in their hurry they didn't latch it when it was set on the ball so when the boat started down the landing it came off the ball Let me tell you 50 yards is a LONG way!!!! As boat & trailer came down the steep ramp it was gaining speed & the tongue was slapping the concrete about every 10ft! My buddy on front deck was bent over in the seat (going backwards) leaned over with both hands grasping each side of the boat screaming OH LORD JESUS HERE I COME!!!!:*****:The boat gets 20ft from the water & does a 90 degree turn & stops between 2 cypress trees! Boat has come to a stop & he is still hanging on & still screaming OH LORD JESUS HERE I COME!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
4 of us arrive at my camp early one morning, we hook up boats & go to launch on our landing, When my 2 buddies start down the ramp one is backing down with truck & the other is sitting in seat on front deck, ramp is STEEP & about 50 yards to the water, well in their hurry they didn't latch it when it was set on the ball so when the boat started down the landing it came off the ball Let me tell you 50 yards is a LONG way!!!! As boat & trailer came down the steep ramp it was gaining speed & the tongue was slapping the concrete about every 10ft! My buddy on front deck was bent over in the seat (going backwards) leaned over with both hands grasping each side of the boat screaming OH LORD JESUS HERE I COME!!!!:*****:The boat gets 20ft from the water & does a 90 degree turn & stops between 2 cypress trees! Boat has come to a stop & he is still hanging on & still screaming OH LORD JESUS HERE I COME!
Lol. That is too funny. Lmbo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Quote:

I can't stop laughing.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
I can't stop laughing.
That was freaking 20 years ago & I still LMAO about it!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

WT. Best one yet!! Lol!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 PM
Red Snapper

Oh that is so funny! I can just see that happening too.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Red Snapper

I have another one. My in laws live on the Bayou Teche in Patterson. One weekend I had my boat in the bayou and had left it behind there house. I unhooked the trailer and just left it there all weekend. End of the weekend I had to pick up the boat mother in law is going to hep me. So I go to the landing in the boat and she hooks up the trailer to my truck and goes to meet me. I'm waiting at the landing when she drives up. She never put the younger jack up! She drove over 4 miles with the trailer tounge jack down! That little plastic wheel was dang near worn off! I asked her didn't you notice? She said I thought it was a little loud.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottogo49 View Post
If you have a really long winch strap and the water is warm, run your winch strap under the last crossmember on the trailer. Hook the strap to the eye of the boat and then winch the slack out. This should lift the trailer enough to clear the edge of the ramp.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

Quote:

My kids walked through the kitchen just now and asked why I was laughing so much. Makes me glad I am not the only one this kind of stuff happens to.