SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 06-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962
Default Snap Report

Well the Big Day finally came. Weather man said SE 5-10. Launched @ Rollover. Headed to the dam @ day break. Tide was coming in. Startted cast-netting.

No shrimp to speak of. No mullet, and NO CROAKER. DAMN the Luck. Anyway little pogie gorlore. Got a few liveys and dead pogie and a FEW med. shrimp.

Hit the gulf. WOW. Winds SE 10-15 meet us . Seas near shore were a good 2-3' chop. Well we'll just go side sea and head SW. The Trition 24, "FInChaser" cruised out @ on 20K.

Made to EC 71 stopped at a few satellite. Nothing But Sharks. Stopped @ main patform. Depth-finder would litt up. We dropped down nothing. Only had pogie.

Well lets go to plan B. Looked Due south. NOTHING, NO PLATFORMS. Looked back to the SSE could see one platform. Being this was my stomping grounds. I knew this had to be 109 EC.

Oh by the Way.. There use to be wells @ Verm 64. EC 74, 75. Gone all GONE. EC 88/89 Gone. Started head on into 3-4' slop. Was wondering If I had made the right call when I got to the gulf.

Trimmed the motor down and Finchaser started to plow through the slop. Well at 15 more miles and 40 minutes later. Started seeing lots a broken grass.

Spotted one nice size pieces. Idled up to one, one nice size triple tail. One cast fish on.

After a nice fight, netted a nice tripletail.... Well finished the trip to 109. No platforms around accept one Verm. 102.

Well we hook up to rig with. Dropped down with some cut bait. TAP TAP WHAM. All 3 of us are hooked up. First one to the is chased by about 5-8 3-6' sharks.

We got the first one in the boat. Nice 24" snap. Second one was about 20 inches before the shark got him.

I get my 24" snap up. Well we decide to fill My release well. WE made the decision to keep nothing smaller than 20".

The 4th snap we put in the release well. We move over to another leg. Dropped down and wham. 5th 24" snap is in the cooler. We start to use some of the small pogie for chum. Problem is they don't sank.

In about 5 minutes we got about 20 sharks up to 6' around the boat. All on the surface. Anyway, a few of the pogie get down. and about 15 minutes later, We have a few 8-10# mangroves and sow reds about 5' under boat.

Tried live shrimp, small hooks, floro. Nothing. We finished off the last of a 3 man limit.

We started to move over to Verm 102. It's the only thing around.

There are 5-6 platforms to the SE from 102. If my memory is correct. 119 and 124 Verm. with a few smaller platforms left to the SE of 102.

Well about 11am the seas are down to about 1-2. We start to see lots of grass. We start idling around some big patches. All of them are EMPTY.

A few hardtail. alot of BABY DOLPHIN. I mean babies. No Tripletail. NO Nothing. We finally hit about 8 platforms. NOT one small or anything that looks like a Cobia.

No kings either. Well after 12 hrs. Cleaned the boat back in Abbeville. Don't want to think about what the trip cost per pound.

It was nice to be out on the water, although it started out really rough.

Thanks

Biggun
Old 06-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,162

Nice report. We saw the same thing under the grass mats nothing except for some tiny dolphin.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,332

Great report.

thanks
Old 06-03-2012, 02:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 587

We hit a grass line about 5 miles S of freshwater city. It was right where the clean water and dirty water were mixing. We found about 15 triple tail running along it. They were real skittish. Only landed 1! It was very disappointing. Didn't have any live shrimp. It was hard to get them to look at anything artificial and after a few casts they would spook and swim down.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

Nice report
Old 06-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Redfish

Cash: 888

how far out are the platforms you went to?
Old 06-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 792

Great report! thanks for sharing!
Old 06-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,958

Thanks for the report! I have found in the last few years the rigs in this area are infested with sharks... Seems like you have to run out a little ways (like 60 miles) to get past the shark infested rigs. Definitely not like it used to be 15 yrs ago when u could catch 20 lb snapper at EC 66 & 67.