Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 07-20-2015, 07:52 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Nice job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshark View Post
I've been following your build on the other site. I always look forward to your updates.

THT?
Old 07-20-2015, 08:01 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,343

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Nice job

THT?
Yes Sir
Old 07-20-2015, 08:57 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneshark View Post
Yes Sir
Yep, I have this build on THT as well.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:04 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

looks fantastic, great job.

its a shame though you didn't stop at the beginning and make a true female mold from the newly extended hull shell when you had the chance. I suppose its not too much work to repeat what you did the first time to extend the hull and make a solid permanent female mold so you can produce as many of these hulls as you want.

im sure you will want to make more of these and im also sure they would sell fast if you made them to sell.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:36 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

awesome build... cant wait to see the finished product
Old 07-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
looks fantastic, great job.

its a shame though you didn't stop at the beginning and make a true female mold from the newly extended hull shell when you had the chance. I suppose its not too much work to repeat what you did the first time to extend the hull and make a solid permanent female mold so you can produce as many of these hulls as you want.

im sure you will want to make more of these and im also sure they would sell fast if you made them to sell.
I might on the next one, I want to make sure the boat rides good first. I really don't need too many, 3 max but probably just 2 and then I'm going to build some cold molded or foam cored 30-32 footers. These are just to feed the boat building bug until I can build the bigger more expensive ones
Old 07-20-2015, 06:45 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909

Nice work.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:17 PM
Flounder

Cash: 728

really cool to see the build process, esp one that is taking place in such a rural backdrop. Keep us posted with pics and updates please
Old 07-23-2015, 05:08 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidewateR View Post
really cool to see the build process, esp one that is taking place in such a rural backdrop. Keep us posted with pics and updates please
Will do, I am going to the capital tomorrow, my core cell has finally arrived, so Friday we will start work again and try to put this thing together!
Old 07-24-2015, 09:42 PM
Trophy Trout

Christmas has arrived here in Quepos! Full box of Corecell, only a little over 2 months on a boat to get here, but today was a good day! And we hit the ground running, cutting out all the bulkheads and glassing 4 of them!

Yes sir, I'll take a box of that one!

Sorry, i get so excited seeing the foam come in. This was several months of saving, I was so depressed when i used up the last piece of my foam last year, and gettting more in today really made today a good day!

Here's us taking the bird cages and tracing out the bulkheads on the foam. When we do this, we always trace outside a little bit. That makes the foam bigger than where it goes. Then we try to put the foam in place, and mark with a construction pencil where it touches first. Then with a little 32 grit and a wood block, sand down the line where it touched and stick it back in, and repeat and repeat until we get a tight fit. After the thing fits, then we are glassing them, 2 1708's on each side. Usually you leave a 6 inch section on the bottom of the blukheads that only has one 1708 and it gets the 2nd 1708 when you tie it in, but I'm going to bulk these up a little bit as I've been making everything light and I want these to be indestructable. Here's us tracing the birdcages onto the foam:

Old 07-24-2015, 09:52 PM
Trophy Trout

And here are the four bulkheads we glassed. We glassed two layers of 1708 on one side with light catalyst, then flipped them over on the table while still wet, which is heavily waxed formica over plywood, and then glassed the other side with two more 1708's. They are going to be very solid. I got a little too excited today, and as you can see it's very dark by the time we got these glassed and I'm worn out! Today was a full 5Am to 8PM work day, if you can call this work...

Old 07-25-2015, 08:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Here's the Costa Rican version of post cure! It was a scorcher out there, I'm super burned, worse than when I fish with no sunscreen! These things sat in the sun from about 8 to 4, and they were so hot you could barely handle them, but the resin dried up soo much it felt like we put paraffin in the resin and it wasn't even sticky anymore. Probably unnecessary, but it's free.

And then we got out the grinder and 36 grit and carefully cleaned them all up.

And then we rough fit them in the boat. They are pretty close, will have to tweak them a little, but we'll have them in Monday.

On one of the bulkheads, we had a little spot that de-laminated so we decided for the other bulkheads we are going to do the double mold thing. We have four bulkheads done, I think we are putting in 7 or 8, so it'll be pretty stout. The bulkheads are super light, maybe 30-35 pounds each, so 7 is maybe 220 pounds which isn't that much for the supporting structure for the hull. Here is our "double mold", we ended up putting about double the weight on it and it will dry for 24 hours before we demold it.

I need to start getting into the vacuum pumps. That would make a little bit better laminates, but we're in low season right now and I'm broke
Old 07-27-2015, 10:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Pretty busy day today. We started off by putting nice 1 inch filets on every bulkhead I have in the boat using resin thickened with cabosil. I'm not super neat, we try to be, so in the picture, that was after Harold sanded the filets a bit.

And then we went ahead and did two layers of 1708 to tie them to the floor. After this had dried, there was no movement whatsoever in the hull, there wasn't too much after the mini stringers, but this firmed everything up really nicely. We have 2 builheads glassed in and we ran out of glass, so tomorrow late in the day we are getting another roll in. We still have to build one more bulkhead on the table, and then there are some longitudal ones that we are going to put next to the motor and then a box up front under the floor to store things in, so more pics coming soon!

Also, somebody had a scale at the shop today, i thought the bulkheads weighed around 35 pounds each, but apparently they are just big and awkward, because the biggest one tipped the scale at 16.5 pounds. So 7 of those is probably a little more than 100 pounds, so this is working out to be very light and hopefully worth all the expensive materials!
Old 07-28-2015, 06:02 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Nice work!

Question, who would you use to book an all inclusive trip to Costa Rica.

My family is interested in snorkeling, eating, beach, some near sure reef fishing, zip lining and hiking.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:09 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
Nice work!

Question, who would you use to book an all inclusive trip to Costa Rica.

My family is interested in snorkeling, eating, beach, some near sure reef fishing, zip lining and hiking.
I run a charter company and we can setup your hotel and all your activities. Shoot me an email at FishCRJohn@Gmail.com and we'll get you all setup!
Old 07-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

This is awesome. Love this thread. Really looking forward to the finished product.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:30 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
This is awesome. Love this thread. Really looking forward to the finished product.
Thanks, I'm having a lot of fun too, I am curious if it'll float, but either way it's fun putting it together!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:37 PM
Trophy Trout

Got the last bulkhead in the boat and we made the cabosil filet. Then we went ahead and made the walls that go next to the motor and put those in place as well with the cabosil. It was getting dark, so we're going to go ahead and do all the glass to hold the last bulkhead and motor walls tomorrow. Here's a couple of pictures of all the bulkheads finally in place!

Old 07-31-2015, 09:51 PM
Trophy Trout

Got the bulkheads cut off. We started using a Saw Z all, but they only had cheap chinese blades at the hardward store, and the first blade melted from the friction off of the foam. So we ended up cutting it off with a 4.5 metal cutting wheel and then using a 2 X 4 and some 36 grit to get it down to the line. We marked everything using the rim of the floor as a guide, we took our time and got the rim pretty level, and then just shot a string line across, marked it and chopped it.

I also went ahead and made the deck hatch frames. When we cut the foam for the floor, this will go underneath so that we can make 1 inch hatches that sit in the frame. I used to use lots of the plastic hatches, but I get tired of buying them every year as they are super fragile. The corecell hatches don't break.

And then who says you can't learn everything on the internet. i got this trick off of the hull truth, this is how we figured out the crown that we are going to put on the back two bulkheads. We have 2 inches on the transom floor support, and 1.5 inches on the first bulkhead in the back and .75 inches on the second from the back bulkhead. That way when the mate filets the fish in the back, the water will run to the sides quick and out the scuppers. The circle trick is how you figure out the crown of the floor.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Trophy Trout

Ok, here's a midday update This last week we installed all the chases where the hoses/electrical will go. Probably could have been a little neater, but we are kind of excited about putting in floor. We also knocked most of the holes where the water will drain out of the bulkheads, i think we still have two left, but I have to get another bit as the hole saw died. Here are some pictures of the plumbing for all the cables/hoses:

And then here are the first two pieces of floor. These go right next to the motor. There is still some welding i need to do in the back for the rudder and piston, so we are going to do the front part of the boat which is easier. It'll feel nice to get some of the floor in there. The hatches still need some finish work, but we've done several and they look pretty good when we get them finished up. I used to use plastic hatches, but with lots of trips with drunk customers, I need some bulletproof hatches so they don't break. The hatch itself will be 1 inch corecell and they sit in there pretty deep so we don't have problems with them moving or coming up when you don't want them to.