SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:09 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
If you scroll down it says 1/2 in. pipe with 3/4 ball valve but the feed line looks bigger than 3/4.....
ok, yep I see it now, the pipe on the wall is definitely a 1" line they are coming off of.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:22 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
well come on and give us an example where this was done in this thread.

its called remedial reading class, sign up for it, then you will see advice was given , accepted and talked about.

more questions were asked along with other related info not originally thought about that is needed along with formulating ideas to consider those aspects. look it up in the dictionary, its called a discussion.

but then those who merely seek to criticize just for the sake of criticizing things never bother to read or understand what it is they are criticizing.

the only advice I ignored in this thread was turning my house into a commercial kitchen setup with 2" gas lines involving special gas meters, permits, inspections, and parish approval. the thread asked for how to do this on a residential house gas supply with a 1/2" connection.

not even the densest person sees this as ignoring advice simply because I choose not to do something on a large commercial scale for "occasional" boils at home.

but then neither of you cares about the truth, just the opportunity to take shots and be critical and insult others rather then offer advice or help to members.

that type of person is more suited to LA sportsman membership and not the majority here who are helpful and friendly. you guys try very hard to bring this website down and give it a bad rep.

Alright, so you're an expert on classes and can't afford a backup propane tank to plug in if you run out during a crawfish boil. Nor do you know about the economics of a long term investment to reduce your cost of ownership by refilling your own tanks at the local hardware store.

Maybe the vibration in your truck is so unbearable that you can't stomach the extra miles to the hardware store? The blue rhino is just so much closer?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:21 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Alright, so you're an expert on classes and can't afford a backup propane tank to plug in if you run out during a crawfish boil. Nor do you know about the economics of a long term investment to reduce your cost of ownership by refilling your own tanks at the local hardware store.

Maybe the vibration in your truck is so unbearable that you can't stomach the extra miles to the hardware store? The blue rhino is just so much closer?
im so happy for you that your whole life revolves around my posts, quite sad and pathetic really lol.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:37 PM
Red Snapper

UPDATE:

I tapped into the gas line in the attic and ran a water hose from the 1/2" ball shut off valve to the 23 jet burner outside (because it was a quick easy way to have a long hose with quick connect fittings on it) and im happy to say it works nicely so far just laying on the top of my old propane burner. the only thing I can use to compare at this time is the intensity of noise it makes and with the natural gas 23 jet it is about 2/3 as loud as the single jet propane burner noise when on full.

even if it is slower to boil with, as I suspect it will be, it does show it will be a fantastic outdoor cooker for just about anything. the only question is will it make a good boiler for large pots.

until I get a burner stand built for it, I cant measure time to boil an 80 quart pot but for now it seams to be throwing a nice flame even though its hard to see the flame in daytime.

now I know that it works I can go through the work and expense to run a gas line through the attic to where I want it to be and then after that's all set up I can look into getting a boiler frame and stand that is suitable to be modified to fit the 23 jet burner or if need be maybe have one made from scratch is my next task.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:10 PM
Red Snapper

just ordered this cooker: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301562479231?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

it looks very suitable with a large enough diameter ring to fit the 23 jet natural gas jet burner in with a little side clearance and its definitely much more solidly built then most of the ones I've seen, plus its all powder coated finish and not just painted like the others.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:53 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 949

Quote:
just ordered this cooker: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301562479231?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

it looks very suitable with a large enough diameter ring to fit the 23 jet natural gas jet burner in with a little side clearance and its definitely much more solidly built then most of the ones I've seen, plus its all powder coated finish and not just painted like the others.
you will melt that stand if you boil a few sacks of crawfish. I can promise. my dad built me one I used it yesterday with a heat shield around the pot so wind could not hit the flame 9 MINUTES to get water boiling. ill take a picture this after noon
Old 03-30-2015, 11:16 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

Quote:
UPDATE:

I tapped into the gas line in the attic and ran a water hose from the 1/2" ball shut off valve to the 23 jet burner outside (because it was a quick easy way to have a long hose with quick connect fittings on it) and im happy to say it works nicely so far just laying on the top of my old propane burner. the only thing I can use to compare at this time is the intensity of noise it makes and with the natural gas 23 jet it is about 2/3 as loud as the single jet propane burner noise when on full.

even if it is slower to boil with, as I suspect it will be, it does show it will be a fantastic outdoor cooker for just about anything. the only question is will it make a good boiler for large pots.

until I get a burner stand built for it, I cant measure time to boil an 80 quart pot but for now it seams to be throwing a nice flame even though its hard to see the flame in daytime.

now I know that it works I can go through the work and expense to run a gas line through the attic to where I want it to be and then after that's all set up I can look into getting a boiler frame and stand that is suitable to be modified to fit the 23 jet burner or if need be maybe have one made from scratch is my next task.
I am sure you know what you are doing..."Tapped into gas Line" just be carefull.....would hate to read about a fellow Sportsmen getting blown up.....http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2015/...3701427645362/
Old 03-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck Attack View Post
I am sure you know what you are doing..."Tapped into gas Line" just be carefull.....would hate to read about a fellow Sportsmen getting blown up.....http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2015/...3701427645362/
no need to worry, I know what im doing.

I ran gas lines for houses as well as plumbing and electrical even though my main profession was a/c repair and installation.

the company I worked for did it all so every now and then we also got the contract for gas and electrical work.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:26 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default Awesome Thread

Lol, wow this thread is winning. I guess we all have an expiration date but some people work very hard to expedite that date.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:00 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

LMAO
Old 03-31-2015, 09:14 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,065

http://g4burner.com/

this is the one I got in Raceland, LA... love it and doesn't clog up like the one with the jets..
JMO
Old 03-31-2015, 11:37 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun w son View Post
http://g4burner.com/

this is the one I got in Raceland, LA... love it and doesn't clog up like the one with the jets..
JMO
thanks
Old 04-08-2015, 02:43 PM
Red Snapper

UPDATE:

ok its done and it works great with just regular residential gas pressure and nothing special being done to the gas line or gas meter.

here are the videos showing the finished product

part 1 shows the burner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5otcRH81bE

part 2 shows the burner in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shx2UsJc7T0

a few notes -

- an 80 quart pot half full of water takes 25 minutes to reach a regular boil and 5 more minutes (30 minutes total) to reach a rolling boil from cold and I simulated a basket of crabs by dumping in a little over 2 gallons of cold water in and it took 10-12 minutes to return back to a regular boil and 3 minutes longer then that to get back to a rolling boil.

- the time it takes water to boil (as expected) is about double that of my propane burner but its not that big a deal. so what if it takes 15 minutes longer to start boiling when you never have to fool with propane tanks ever again.

- the legs were connected using a standard 1 1/2" long 3/8" bolt with big oversized washer

- the wind guard ring gets very hot (as expected) but the bottom part below the burner ring stays much cooler with only the heat migration causing it to get hot but its not hot enough to burn the powder coat.

- even though it works great just like it is, I plan to ask the gas company to come by and test the gas supply pressure to the house. I figure it wouldn't hurt to be sure to confirm that it is set at the upper range of allowed residential gas pressure to the house.

- those spark ignition things you buy to light burners with wont work, I had one laying around so I tried it and the gas flame is just too low a pressure to light reliably until you have a gas pocket built up and get a big "poof" of flame come out at you, so stick to a regular stick style lighter for lighting the burner.

Last edited by keakar; 04-08-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Red Snapper

I wanted to add that the times I gave in the post above were all done for an uncovered pot during the timings.

naturally a covered pot would heat up (and reheat) faster but I didn't feel it would be worth calling a success if you had to cover a pot to make it work.