SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 10-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 652
Default Turkey Calls

I need some help. I am not a turkey hunter, nor a hunter at all. My uncle just moved to Dallas last year. He is getting into turkey hunting. I want to buy him a turkey call, what is a good brand? Do you know of any local guys who make them? I don't care about price, he is just about the only family I have left so I was looking to get something nice. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 991

I like ZINK and Quaker Boy mouth calls.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:28 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

What kind of call? Mouth call, box call, friction call?
Old 10-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Swordfish

http://www.woodhavencustomcalls.com/

Best mouth, box, and friction calls if you aren't worried about price.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Primos makes some good calls, mouth, slates & cant beat a good ol box......Primos has a box called a "Wet box" that will work when wet, or even check out some decoys.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:42 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

I feel out of place answering this post, since I have only been turkey hunting a few years, but I have got that sickness real bad!! Thus, I have but a bunch of calls, of which my wife always ask why I need another one every year.......she just doesn't understand!

I have several of the Primos and some others that sound real good. But for some reason, they all sound a little different and sometimes that makes a difference. Please do your uncle a favor and also check out the calls made by Preston Pittman. Besides being a hell of a nice guy that I have gotten to meet in person, he is a world champion turkey caller. Don't have a lot of info on him handy, but google Pittman Game Calls and you should find him. They sound really good and I killed my last LA longbeard using his slate call.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Didn't we use to have a guy here who made custom calls?
Old 10-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
What kind of call? Mouth call, box call, friction call?
I have no idea, he hunts in Texas so I don't know if one type is better than the other. The only time I have ever seen a live turkey was at a Tyson Processing plant and they were not alive long. Thanks for the responses I will look into the suggestions.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Rio's are usually louder and very raspy so I would look for those characteristics in a call no matter what the kind.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
I have no idea, he hunts in Texas so I don't know if one type is better than the other. The only time I have ever seen a live turkey was at a Tyson Processing plant and they were not alive long. Thanks for the responses I will look into the suggestions.
Alright well like FFF said, all mouth calls sound different and is probably not something i would pick out for someone else considering it took me years to figure out the exact one that works best for me. Now there is only one kind i buy, Woodhaven Red Wasp.

And they make so many different kinds of slate/friction calls nowadays that you dont wanna ask him which kind of surface/make he prefers if you are trying to surprise him.

So IMO, I would get him a box call. You cant change up too much on a box call. And it is the easiest call to use. That Woodhaven site I posted has some very nice ones.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Alright well like FFF said, all mouth calls sound different and is probably not something i would pick out for someone else considering it took me years to figure out the exact one that works best for me. Now there is only one kind i buy, Woodhaven Red Wasp.

And they make so many different kinds of slate/friction calls nowadays that you dont wanna ask him which kind of surface/make he prefers if you are trying to surprise him.

So IMO, I would get him a box call. You cant change up too much on a box call. And it is the easiest call to use. That Woodhaven site I posted has some very nice ones.
Those are some very nice calls. Nice link
Old 10-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBFishin View Post
Those are some very nice calls. Nice link
They sure are. My buddy bought me one of the "Red Wasp" diaphram calls to try out b/c he kept talking about how good they were and I wouldnt listen. I tried it out and havent bought anything different since. They sound the best, IMO. That was probably 3-4 years ago. And trust me I probably tried 100 different kinds/brands. About a month before the season every year now, I just order 2 Red Wasps(1 for back up) and Im ready. They have alot of others that my buddy likes but Red Wasp is the only one I have tried.

The slates and boxes are pricy compared to others but well worth it. They sound awesome. My buddy has both. I just dont use boxes or friction calls much. If i cant get them in with my red wasp, they aint coming. To me at least.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
They sure are. My buddy bought me one of the "Red Wasp" diaphram calls to try out b/c he kept talking about how good they were and I wouldnt listen. I tried it out and havent bought anything different since. They sound the best, IMO. That was probably 3-4 years ago. And trust me I probably tried 100 different kinds/brands. About a month before the season every year now, I just order 2 Red Wasps(1 for back up) and Im ready. They have alot of others that my buddy likes but Red Wasp is the only one I have tried.

The slates and boxes are pricy compared to others but well worth it. They sound awesome. My buddy has both. I just dont use boxes or friction calls much. If i cant get them in with my red wasp, they aint coming. To me at least.

Heard that. I'll have to try it out this spring. Turkey calls are hard to change once you find one that works for you. Kinda like a good speck call.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBFishin View Post
Heard that. I'll have to try it out this spring. Turkey calls are hard to change once you find one that works for you. Kinda like a good speck call.
Exactly like a good speck or mallard call.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Thanks Specktator, I will go with that one, I saw they make custom calls, which i sort of what I was looking for, so I can put his name on it or something like that. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:34 PM
Swordfish

Glad to help
Old 10-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

If it's a mouth call you're lookin' for...can't beat a Preston Pittman Magnum Diamond.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

If you can find a wing bone call, or should I say anyone that will come off a wing bone call jump on it! I have a couple & have people foam at the mouth for them. Can't get them anymore unless you kill a hen. Hen wing bones are the only ones that will work.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Shad..........Please delete this thread.

It is way too early to be talking about Turkey calls......Deer hunting is just getting started good.

I second that about Preston. I heard him give a talk once. I would drive 100+ miles to hear him again. His talk was that good.