SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 10-25-2010, 12:40 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Default Blood Tracking Deer

Ok, guys!
I meant to put this up October 1st and it slipped my mind!

Any of you guys shoot a deer and have trouble locating it, don't hesitate to go to:

www.unitedbloodtrackers.org

They have some jam up guys out there w/ some jam up dogs that specialize in tracking wounded deer. I have not gotten a call yet this year, but ran a mock track w/ mine that was 9 hours old and he looked at me like I was stupid! He got to the end of the track and it reminded me of the "G" commercial out right now - piece of deer liver sticking out his mouth and he looks up at me - "BOOM"! gone!

If you are in a bind, it may be the difference between finding it and not. Just remember to back out of there and stay out until the dog arrives!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Thanks for that site FFF! I really coulda used a tracker last season, we tracked a nice buck I shot for about 4 hours before we finally lost blood.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Its awesome to see your dog work on that blood trail. I love watching that dog head down doing what he is on this earth to do, HUNT! Then when he finds em, he jumps on it like a catch dog, trying to tear it apart.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:53 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Its awesome to see your dog work on that blood trail. I love watching that dog head down doing what he is on this earth to do, HUNT! Then when he finds em, he jumps on it like a catch dog, trying to tear it apart.
Aint nothing better!!!!!!!! The only thing better than seeing it is the face of the hunter, especially a kid!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

any direct phone numbers to somebody local?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:56 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Aint nothing better!!!!!!!! The only thing better than seeing it is the face of the hunter, especially a kid!!!!!!
Yeh I had a buddy with me this weekend that had never seen my dog find a deer. He was freaking out.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:04 PM
King Mackeral

What gets me is when the swear they saw the deer 200 yards away running south, only to have my dog go north!!!!! "Hey mister - your dog is going the wrong way" has been told to me on three different occasions. The first time I pulled him off of it and started him over, only to go the same way the second time and find the mans deer. After that, I went back to the old method of "the nose knows" and leave him on it so he can sort it out. If it is dead, he will find it!!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:05 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
any direct phone numbers to somebody local?

The best thing to do is go to the site and find one that is closest to you for travel reasons. You can call me anytime and if I can not get there, I will try to help locate on for you. 337-384-1578
Old 10-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
What gets me is when the swear they saw the deer 200 yards away running south, only to have my dog go north!!!!! "Hey mister - your dog is going the wrong way" has been told to me on three different occasions. The first time I pulled him off of it and started him over, only to go the same way the second time and find the mans deer. After that, I went back to the old method of "the nose knows" and leave him on it so he can sort it out. If it is dead, he will find it!!!!
Yeh mine did that Friday. Starting veering right when I knew the deer went left, but I didn't say anything. He takes a few more steps and stops, sticks his nose in the air and does a 180 and is on top of the deer in a few seconds. And yes, if it is dead he will find it. Every deer I have trailed with him that I or the person I am trailing for knew it was a good shot, we have found.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Damnit, I needed one on Saturday. Lost that deer.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:30 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Yeh mine did that Friday. Starting veering right when I knew the deer went left, but I didn't say anything. He takes a few more steps and stops, sticks his nose in the air and does a 180 and is on top of the deer in a few seconds. And yes, if it is dead he will find it. Every deer I have trailed with him that I or the person I am trailing for knew it was a good shot, we have found.
I tracked one last year in freezing weather north of Palmetto for a guy, his son shot the evening before. The "president" of the club would not let me start the track until 9am so we would not bother any other hunters. At 1pm, I pulled the dog off since we had gone over 1 mile w/o any blood sign at all. Looked at the GPS and we were 2.8 miles from where we started. No recovery, but a buck was shot the next weekend on the same club w/ a bullet wound to the front of the chest, shaped like a half-moon. No proof it was the same deer, but I can only assume that was it and the hunter said the rack looked the same. So almost 20 hours later he was still trailing a deer that had been wounded - he earned a biscuit that day!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
I tracked one last year in freezing weather north of Palmetto for a guy, his son shot the evening before. The "president" of the club would not let me start the track until 9am so we would not bother any other hunters. At 1pm, I pulled the dog off since we had gone over 1 mile w/o any blood sign at all. Looked at the GPS and we were 2.8 miles from where we started. No recovery, but a buck was shot the next weekend on the same club w/ a bullet wound to the front of the chest, shaped like a half-moon. No proof it was the same deer, but I can only assume that was it and the hunter said the rack looked the same. So almost 20 hours later he was still trailing a deer that had been wounded - he earned a biscuit that day!
Dayum! That's impressive!
Old 10-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

I did this for others for close to 20 years, trained labs for it, still go if it's someone I know. Got tired of the calls & wild goose chases at 1am during the work week & burning all my fuel & get a pat on the back & thanks for coming.

It's awesome to watch a good dog work! They'll make a fool out of ya quick! I or should I say we (me & dog) trailed a doe one night for a buddy's wife on her 1st deer, by GPS track was 2.1 miles! She was shot through the milk sack & it ruptured her insides, started at 11pm & found it at 4am.

wtretrievers = Whitetail Retrievers
Old 10-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
I did this for others for close to 20 years, trained labs for it, still go if it's someone I know. Got tired of the calls & wild goose chases at 1am during the work week & burning all my fuel & get a pat on the back & thanks for coming.
seems like most would repay with a good meal/drinks or tank of gas, etc...
Old 10-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
seems like most would repay with a good meal/drinks or tank of gas, etc...
Oh alot did.....but theres others, have gotten phone calls at 11pm & Deer was hit good! man we have good blood then it stopped, BIG BUCK, BIG BUCK....we need ya! Get up drive an hour & find 2 drops the size of a pencil eraser & lil white hair & this was with a 30-06. Look for several hours sweating my *** off tore up with briars & then they wanna say well thanks were going to bed! ***????????????

Don't get me wrong I love it!!!!!!!!!! especially when they've looked for hours & I turn that dog loose & within 5 minutes there's your deer

Just like anything else, there's good people & theres the ones always looking for something for nothing.

One of the reasons I go for people I know.

I have a picture at the house that was sent to me of Jim Kelly (Buffalo QB) with a deer that one of my dogs had found for him in Maryland, Giles Island in Ms did a TV show on the Outdoor channel several years back & showed one of my dogs working & finding a good buck that they couldn't find. Pretty kewl stuff!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:42 PM
King Mackeral

I have been offered hundred dollar bills for not finding a deer and I have been given the shaft when one was located at midnight! I don't do it for a living, I don't do it for the recognition.......I do it as a challenge and to see the fruits of my labor pay off!!!!!

I have gotten the shaft more than I have gotten rewards for locating downed deer. But in the end, I can enjoy the sunrise the next morning knowing I gave the good Lord all I had and my dog had a good time!
Old 10-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Banned

thats a good way to look at it FFF, a good deed isn't the same after being paid or bragging about it. Just seems that none go un-punished.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Ling

There's nothing in the world better than finding one for a kid!!!!! I would & still will drop everything i'm doing to go, & never accepted money for looking for a youngen, NEVER! Wether it was found or not.

FFF we need to get together one night, I can tell ya some stories!!!! I'm sure you can too!!!!! My dogs won't bark unless it's still alive, when they do bark it's time to go! Cause something's fixing to happen!!!!!!! I've gotten my *** in a bind several times!!!! Damn near froze to death one night it was 28* & I went for a swim, (it was a monster though), gotten hemmed up between a big 10pt & the dog in deep creek with no way out!!!& the list goes on!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:08 PM
King Mackeral

Ever had the front leg of a live deer go through the front of your bib overalls while standing in 2' of water. It was a doe, but she kicked my a** w/ one front leg!!! LOL!!! I wasn't about to turn loose the one that was stuck in the front of my bib overall. If only I had a video camera!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Ling

Quote:
Ever had the front leg of a live deer go through the front of your bib overalls while standing in 2' of water. It was a doe, but she kicked my a** w/ one front leg!!! LOL!!! I wasn't about to turn loose the one that was stuck in the front of my bib overall. If only I had a video camera!

My son when he was 7 shot his 1st deer & she bailed off in a briar thicket, put the dog on her, when I got in there I called the dog off her, she had been shot thru both back legs, she was up on her front legs & I was about 2 feet in front of her when the dog slipped around & bit her on the hind quarter, that damn thing lunged forward & bit me dang near on my ******!!!!! I swear to gawd I screamed like a 3 year old little girl!!!!!!!!! My son asked what is it,...... oh nothing just stay out there
MAKING MEMORIES BUDDY MAKING MEMORIES!!!!!!!! That's what it's all about!!!!!!!!!