SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:29 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

I look at it this way. The CCA is a way for the county club types to smooze and live high on the hog under the guise that they are a non profit who's main objective is costal restoration and preservation. The way they fund their extravagant get togethers and annual salaries is the star tourney. Anything they do for coastal restoration probably comes from large private donations and government grants. They secure these grants by lobbying for them and I am sure you can find a few politicians at any their dikpullings. Do they do some good? Yes. But they also were the primary ones responsible for lowering the trout limit on BL to 15. And for they they can go F themselves. When they send Billy Bob Z71 his sicker for signing up for the star tournament, Billy Bob feels like he's one of the big shots as well, although in actuality all his membership fee's paid for was a glass of scotch from a 500$ bottle that some a$$hole from Houston is drinking at one of the CCA's monthly circle jerks. I'll pass.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:58 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
What is your stance on bowfishing? A lot of people are against it.
I have gone on a couple of guided bow fishing trips. thoroughly enjoyed both of them shot a limit of reds some heads and flounder each trip.
At the start of each trip the guide told us if there is ANY doubt about the fish being legal DO NOT SHOOT!. no undersize fish were shot on either trip.
IMHO 5 fish by arrow is the same as five fish by rod n reel . Does Joe Blow who puts some lights on his boat and goes out shooting go by the law ?
I would hope so and i will turn someone in for shooting / catching under size / over the limit.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
CCA did not ban gill nets

GCCA which was ran by a whole different breed of people. People who actually fish
Wooooooooow now hold on a minute, different breed of people you say?
Dude you just contradicted yourself big time.
GCCA was started by the Sperry Top Sider, CostaDelMar, Columbia shirt wearing COLLEGE graduates you love to hate.

It's the same damn group of people that you now hate on.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

For the record I support 80% of CCA's actions.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:29 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
GCCA was started by the Sperry Top Sider, CostaDelMar, Columbia shirt wearing COLLEGE graduates you love to hate.

Wrong again..... Google it

The group of people who ran GCCA had an agenda for our fisheries not suit and tie with a martini in hand saying lets please one group of people

again the CCA DID NOT BAN GILL NETS
Old 05-17-2015, 08:43 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:

The group of people who ran GCCA had an agenda for our fisheries not suit and tie with a martini in hand saying lets please one group of people

Well, if it's on the Internet it has to be true lol. You bash CCA for ignoring questions, but I'm going to ask you AGAIN. What is CCA's "agenda" that you spoke of earlier?
Old 05-17-2015, 08:51 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Well, if it's on the Internet it has to be true lol. You bash CCA for ignoring questions, but I'm going to ask you AGAIN. What is CCA's "agenda" that you spoke of earlier?

there agenda is run a huge STAR money making event for 101 days and pay there NON PROFIT VPs and #1s over 100K a year

Support lowing limits or adding limits against Biologist
Supporting limits that were told by Biologist it was never needed
Placing limits like 3Tail that were never needed
Old 05-17-2015, 08:57 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:

^^^hes right u know. The old members of gcca will have nothing to do with the CCA.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:12 AM
Red Snapper

I'm sorry door dredging up this beat to death topic. My original intent was to basically ask if participating in the STAR = supporting CCA. Can we please remove this thread?
Old 05-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
there agenda is run a huge STAR money making event for 101 days and pay there NON PROFIT VPs and #1s over 100K a year

Support lowing limits or adding limits against Biologist
Supporting limits that were told by Biologist it was never needed
Placing limits like 3Tail that were never needed
And thank u for answering.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:29 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
I'm sorry door dredging up this beat to death topic. My original intent was to basically ask if participating in the STAR = supporting CCA. Can we please remove this thread?

It equals supporting CCA, Sammich answered it best.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:40 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
It equals supporting CCA, Sammich answered it best.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:15 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,071

I stopped entering the STAR tourney years ago bc I didn't agree with the CCA and their approach to helping our area. Entering the tourney does help the CCA even if it is a small amount.

Problem with not supporting the CCA, there are no other organizations that lobby for our recreation fishing in SWLA. The other groups such as the oyster group are well organized and funded. Its a political battle and the one that has the louder voice and more funds will always win.

I wish there was a fund only for Big Lake area. I would donate to that every year. In my opinion CCA is spread out in too many states. I think my dollar is spread out were only pennies hit our area.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:35 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

Quote:
yes it does. sometimes you just have to draw a line and say youre not gonna help them in any way. the prizes are donated to them and they pocket the money. the numbers are there to see. quit supporting them because you wanna win something and there will soon be a much better way to have a real tourney.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:18 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post

Wrong
Old 05-18-2015, 12:06 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
CCA is scared to stop oyster dredging
CCA is scared to stop erosion
CCA has done ZERO on Lake Calcasieu in 100 years
All this is plain silly. No one is scared to stop erosion. It takes a TON of money to do anything worthwhile for erosion control. Rocking the ship channel would cost a bunch of money and it still won't correct all the problems. And why should CCA do this to begin with? The Master Plan is addressing these issues. One of them is the salinity control project. BUT, hide out and watch when these salinity control projects get going because there WILL be some people against it (they will be fishing guides) They will come out the woodwork just like the anti-diversion crowd in SELA.

Oysters - the oyster lobby is well funded. It would be a complete 'waist' of time and resources to try and fight it

Who has done anything on Lake Calcasieu in 100 years? Aren't there some CCA reefs over there? Does that not count? It isn't much but it refutes what you are saying. CCA or DU or Delta or any other non-profit will ever fix all the issues, they have to do what they can do with the budget they have which isn't much when it comes to coastal work.

Last edited by Duck Butter; 05-18-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:18 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
You should really look up the definition of a non-profit. It doesn't mean what you think it means. The NFL was a nonprofit and Roger Goodell brought home $44 million last year

When you pay bananas, you get monkeys. 100k is peanuts to what some of these people could make on their own in the consulting world. You have to pay these people to stay around. It would be nice if you could pay a 22 year old right out of college $45k to run CCA but it isn't gonna happen.

Not defending CCA, just defending non-profit conservation organizations as a whole because a whole lot of mistruths have been spouted off here and lies spread just as fast as the truth.

Once again coastal work is very expensive. It would also be nice if CCA or DU or whomever could just be ran with nothing but unpaid volunteers but that isn't going to happen. I have worked on a few very worthwhile restoration projects in south La where we needed volunteers and every single time the majority of volunteers were not hunters or fishermen but blue-haired ladies usually a birdwatching club or garden club. Every single time. Everyone likes to talk the talk but not walk the walk.

Support or don't support doesn't matter but make sure to read up on a few things about whatever organization you choose before making the decision and remember that NO organization is perfect.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

O K. Any ideas on an alternative?
Old 05-18-2015, 12:37 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyb View Post
O K. Any ideas on an alternative?
Here are a couple of groups. I'm not a member of either though, because I really dont know anything about them

http://thefra.org/

http://joinrfa.org/
Old 05-18-2015, 12:43 PM
Red Snapper

Who has done anything on Lake Calcasieu in 100 years? Aren't there some CCA reefs over there? Does that not count?

Maybe you should look at where the money came from for those reef projects. its so EASY to make everyone think they did something special. add up the numbers and then look at what they put into it. then try to tell me where the rest of the money is going.

dont be blind by a little charade that they put on. that dang reef might as well been completely donated by the industry. heck.... the rock they used was trash left behind from road work that was also donated to them!
Old 05-18-2015, 12:45 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
All this is plain silly. No one is scared to stop erosion. It takes a TON of money to do anything worthwhile for erosion control. Rocking the ship channel would cost a bunch of money and it still won't correct all the problems. And why should CCA do this to begin with? The Master Plan is addressing these issues. One of them is the salinity control project. BUT, hide out and watch when these salinity control projects get going because there WILL be some people against it (they will be fishing guides) They will come out the woodwork just like the anti-diversion crowd in SELA.

Oysters - the oyster lobby is well funded. It would be a complete 'waist' of time and resources to try and fight it

Who has done anything on Lake Calcasieu in 100 years? Aren't there some CCA reefs over there? Does that not count? It isn't much but it refutes what you are saying. CCA or DU or Delta or any other non-profit will ever fix all the issues, they have to do what they can do with the budget they have which isn't much when it comes to coastal work.
this is what i was quoting... it disappeared for some reason.