SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Old 02-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I give my parents fish. THey don't fish. They want fish. I give them fish when they ask for it.
No problem.

Props to you and peddler. Nothin' unethical about what you're doing.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly D View Post
I got a question for ya. How many of ya fished the lake years ago when netting was legal. Not to many of ya probably. Fishing back then was tuff and limits was hard to come by and especialy a big girl. You had 500 hundred shrimpboats in the lake and didnt care if you was catching or not. The lake has come along ways in a few years
I did, that's why I started fishing offshore. You could catch lots of fish, they were just small. Before the weirs, there was no problems catching big fish and lots of fish. When they installed them, the shrimp and fish went to crap. That's when the shrimpers went to gill netting. They were not making anymore money shrimping and couldn't afford bigger boats to go offshore. Gill netting was very easy and you made lots of money.
Before the weirs, the Texas boats would come over there to shrimp in the lake on opening weekend cause their season opened on a different day.
Both sides of the lake was always full of boats shrimping.
The lake was deeper then and the old jetties stuck up out of the water a lot higher. Jr's cut was just big enough for 1 butterfly barge, now it is big enough for a ship to go thru.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly D View Post
I got a question for ya. How many of ya fished the lake years ago when netting was legal. Not to many of ya probably. Fishing back then was tuff and limits was hard to come by and especialy a big girl. You had 500 hundred shrimpboats in the lake and didnt care if you was catching or not. The lake has come along ways in a few years
That's pretty much the story all along the coast. The fishing in Breton Sound is 1000X better now than before the net ban. Trout in the 3-4 lb. range are rediculous out there now. Even though nets weren't set in the Sound, they hammered those same trout inside and, like W said about the reds, they never made it outside.

The net ban is the single greatest thing that has ever happened to Louisiana's fishing.....aside from W gettin' into wading.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
Frankly, I am not sure a rod and reel can hurt the population.........
You & W would be wrong on this issue.....the trout fishery is suffering. Facts will be made known before year end. Then I'll expect a big "I'm sorry and was wrong" from many posters on this board.

Like Forrest Gump: "Thats all I'm gonna say about that!"
Old 02-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
You & W would be wrong on this issue.....the trout fishery is suffering. Facts will be made known before year end. Then I'll expect a big "I'm sorry and was wrong" from many posters on this board.

When fishermen are smokin' redfish like they are at them wiers....it has to take a toll sooner or later.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:42 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 887

I think becoming a conservationist is something that rippens over a period of time. I know when I was young it was a numbers game, getting a limit, hunting and fishing for everything, how fast can I limit out...that type of thing.......but as you grow older it's more of ... slow down relax and enjoy everything nature has to offer type thing, it doesn't matter if you catch anything or kill anything, just nice to be part of it......Oh, and this morning, a pair of wood ducks entered the nesting box that is in my backyard.....that's was just as fun as watching them come in the decoys.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Great White

I am addicted to spicey fried fish. I gotta get my fix when ever I can.
I don't wanna kill the fish just to kill them.
I'll eat any fish that ain't too bloody or oily.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28smartchart.jpg (10.3 KB, 54 views)
Old 02-24-2010, 12:32 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak'em-n-stack'em View Post
wait, i see what you did there.....even though I too read the thread!
Old 02-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak'em-n-stack'em View Post
Old 02-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post

I dont see how you can think the trout fishery is suffering. The last couple of years has been some of the best fishing there has been, maybe not for big trout like it was but as far as catching numbers of good fish theres no problem.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Red Snapper

just wait....just because your tire is full of air now doesn't mean theres a leak in it and it will be flat in a couple of days.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Chas.... There is no way you can convince me that you can fish out trout with rod n reel.....you can destroy your estuary and deplete fish but not rod n reel.... I would have to see hard facts and evidence....not ifs,or stipulations
Old 02-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,555

I think he means it goes hand in hand...depleted habitat along with sport fisherman, guides, shrimp boats, oyster boats, pollution, mothernature (could be some others) will in the long run deplete the population.
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 02-24-2010, 03:04 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

I have fished big lake a longtime.... Yes we have some erosion problems but were also laying rocks to prevent this....

As far as our Marsh....Man can not protect it like mother nature.... We are destroying it our selves by controlling our waterways.....you can't control water from its god given course but what the hell do I know.... I just fish out here
Old 02-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Chas.... There is no way you can convince me that you can fish out trout with rod n reel.....you can destroy your estuary and deplete fish but not rod n reel.... I would have to see hard facts and evidence....not ifs,or stipulations

stipulation; a condition, demand, or promise in an agreement or contract.

W, stop butcherin' the English language!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:09 PM
Great White

Them marshes don't hold near the shrimp and bait it did before the weirs.
The Specks don't go up in the marshes anymore either. Cause the marsh
stays full of fresh water now.

The ship channel is what caused all the erosion.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Red Snapper

Thank you Sulphite for trying to make him understand. Its a lost cause with that one. Don't worry W, you'll get your stipulations soon.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Great White

Not near as much as when I was a young man. The things I see the weirs helped out are crabs and Flounder. They killed the shrimp population back there. If you think there are a lot of shrimp in there, you should have seen it before the weirs and the first couple years after. I can hook you up with a couple fellers who used to shrimp the private marshes. They will tell you what it did.
And after Rita, when the levees were blasted open, there were suddenly a buttload of shrimp back there again. Fix the levees and the shrimp fall off again.
Everything eats shrimp. More shrimp, more healthy fisheries.
There should be a better way to fix the marshes than to block them off.

Flounder and Reds are always pretty good back up in there.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Not near as much as when I was a young man. The things I see the weirs helped out are crabs and Flounder. They killed the shrimp population back there. If you think there are a lot of shrimp in there, you should have seen it before the weirs and the first couple years after. I can hook you up with a couple fellers who used to shrimp the private marshes. They will tell you what it did.
And after Rita, when the levees were blasted open, there were suddenly a buttload of shrimp back there again. Fix the levees and the shrimp fall off again.
Everything eats shrimp. More shrimp, more healthy fisheries.
There should be a better way to fix the marshes than to block them off.

Flounder and Reds are always pretty good back up in there.
Yeah that was some good fishing...trout were were in there thick...

do we let the marsh erode or do we protect the fish? Do we protect people, property, roads or the fish.

We have chosen to change mother nature with the ship channel...but regardless marshes etc will change over hundreds of years without human interaction.
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .