SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:11 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864
Default Anyone here have a Copperhead mud motor

Does anyone on here have a copperhead mud motor? Know anyone with one? Considering them over the others. Any feedback helpful.

TIA
Old 09-05-2014, 01:21 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I had one. It was ok. It's good for what it is. Honestly unless I was getting a excellent deal on a nearly new used one I wouldn't get another. It's designed to be a light weight unit to use on light weight boats. Neither of those things are very durable in the environment this motor is made for. I used it for part of last season and sold it quickly before I tore it up. If you want a mud motor get something better. A 27hp Prodrive is not that much more money and you'll get a WHOLE lot more motor for your Money. If your really needing to spend less and don't care about reverse the get a GoDevil surface drive if. If I could do it over that's what I would have done. Just my opinion as a former owner.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:38 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Thanks for your feedback! I was told similar things by others. The new 23 hp copperhead is $4475. There is no neutral or electric trim. By comparison the 23 hp mud buddy has neutral and power trim. It is priced at $4615. A 23 ho go devil surface drive is $4400 but has in neutral or electric trim. Looks like in this hp range mud buddy has the best price. My boat run is less than 2 miles and the marsh seldom gets so low that there. Is. It some water at least 4-6 inches deep. I run a 14x48 heavy guage aluminum boat usually with 2 other hunters, sometimes 3.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:56 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

I ran a 23 Godevil SD for work for a year. No clutch or reverse but it was galvanized. On a 15x48 flat with no ribs with two people and gear it would run about 17 in deep water. Always liked it even though it was slow, after putting a fresh motor and prop it seemed bullet proof.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I would reconsider the Mudbuddy. I own a Excel boat but would never consider a Mudbuddy. Everything I've ever read about them is negative. Check www.mudmotortalk.com.

For the money your looking to spend I'd HIGHLY recommend spending a the difference and getting either a Prodrive or a Gator Tail.

http://prodriveoutboards.com/index.php/motors/models/

A Prodrive 25 HP with neutral no reverse is $5270.00 brand new. With Manual reverse it is $5475.00. This motor is 10 times the motor of any you mentioned. AND it has electronic fuel injection. If you ever decide to add reverse it a easy add on. This is what I would get.

http://www.gator-tail.com/motors.html

If you don't want a Prodrive then a Gator Tail with neutral and no reverse for $5750.00.

If you buy one of these motors and ever decide to sell it you will have no problem selling it for a good price. The Go Devil Surface drive or the Copperhead will take a little more time. The MudBuddy will likely take much more time. Whatever you do DO NOT GO NEAR A DIXIE!

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:14 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

I had a mud buddy with no neutral before my prodrive. I now have reverse (manual) and neutral. To me the neutral is at least as important as the reverse. If I had to choose one or the other I would take neutral. Something to consider with some of these non neutral products.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

I think copperhead has gotten away from it's core competency......small motors on small boats for small water.....

Once they got past 10HP it gets foggy......

Put the thing on a 12 foot boat for small waters where speed is not an issue and you have a winner......

Much like the Hession crafts back in the day.......