SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 02-07-2010, 09:21 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Default Working the pups!

Didn't have the injuries to the older dogs healed up so we took some pups and new dogs to a bay pen for a little morning workout. Was surprised by two things!

#1- Was very impressed on how the dogs worked, running the hogs down in a 5 acre pen in record time, and

#2- Had to be the meanest pig ever, putting all of the kids up a tree and almost eating me! Actually put a 2" hole in my Lacrosse knee boots in the calf area. It looked real bad for old FFF for a minute or two! Luckily, my beer gut is not so bad that I was still able to do a Reggie Bush on him and get away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baypen 002.jpg (78.2 KB, 138 views)
Old 02-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

I would've paid to see that one!!!! LOL....
Old 02-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

What kind of dogs are those? I have hunted with kerr and pits. And maybe u or someone u know might want 2 tracking collars and antenna I have that maybe been used 3 times. I'll cut u a sweet deal! Sold my dogs.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:46 AM
King Mackeral

Those are Jagdterriers, also know as German hunt terriers. It is pronounced "Yack" terrier, which means "hunt" in German, but us Americans screw it up and call them "Jag" terriers. Incredible little dogs! I can feed 2 Jagdterriers and medicate them for the price of 2 curs or Catahoulas, and they are extremely fast/agile hunters. However, they do not have the range of a hound or cur.

My dream pack would consist of one "silent" strike dog that could range out to 1000 yards to find a hog w/ 3 Jags to bay him up. Now that would be a hog killing team right there!

I use a Garmin Astro system, is that what you have or is a telemetry system. I am spoiled w/ that GPS system I have, but I will keep you in mind if I hear of someone looking for a telementry unit!
Old 02-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Swordfish

Yeh it's the telemetry system. That garmin one looks like a no brainer if I was going for a new setup. I don't like telemetry. Too hard to figure out. One of main reasons I'm getting rid of it, so I can get one like u cause I still have 2 labs that I use to blood trail. And that garmin setup would be awesome to have for that. There is no adrenaline rush like running those hogs with a pack of dogs though! Love it! If u ever need a spot to run them I got a few in St. Francisville. It's real hilly, which is kinda hard on u and the dogs, but full of piggies!

Tell u what I seen a pit used as a catch dog and a kerr before. TheY were both very impressive. They were both silent strikers like u sayin. That pit was just so powerful. Guy next to him cut him loose when they started bayin. He jumped over the 4 wheeler with me
on it. Ran 200 yards in front of me and smoke rolled a 120 lb sow!
Old 02-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I like to see good dogs work like that. They love that kinda stuff.
If it is fun for a dog, it is fun to watch.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:10 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Yeh it's the telemetry system. That garmin one looks like a no brainer if I was going for a new setup. I don't like telemetry. Too hard to figure out. One of main reasons I'm getting rid of it, so I can get one like u cause I still have 2 labs that I use to blood trail. And that garmin setup would be awesome to have for that. There is no adrenaline rush like running those hogs with a pack of dogs though! Love it! If u ever need a spot to run them I got a few in St. Francisville. It's real hilly, which is kinda hard on u and the dogs, but full of piggies!

Tell u what I seen a pit used as a catch dog and a kerr before. TheY were both very impressive. They were both silent strikers like u sayin. That pit was just so powerful. Guy next to him cut him loose when they started bayin. He jumped over the 4 wheeler with me
on it. Ran 200 yards in front of me and smoke rolled a 120 lb sow!
So, how's next weekend!?!
Old 02-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
So, how's next weekend!?!
Well this coming Saturday im leavin for Keystone, Co. to go snowboarding for a week. I will be back 2-20. so how bout maybe we shoot for that next weekend we can give em a shot! that would be like 27th or 28th.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:47 PM
King Mackeral

Just let me know!
Old 02-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Just let me know!
Sounds good! Can't wait! Haven't ran some dogs in over a year. My buddy has run dogs out there with some colored fellas that got some out there. They always catch a few. I'll have to see though we might have to wait till after turkey season. They might not wanna run them in there till then.