SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 03-27-2010, 03:09 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Sad Tough hunt today!

Well, our little playground in north La is having a freeway(pipeline) put through it and with all the activity, the turkeys have been pushed out. I have been forced to bum hunts where I can and hunt public land to satisfy my fix for the eleusive "Thunder Chicken".

Today, I ventured to a place I have not been in 20 something years, Kistache National Forest, Catahoula area. Lots of hunters out today, but no one stepped on any toes and everyone was very nice in exchanging information. I hit 3 spots that had turkeys 20 years ago and didn't hear a single gobble. Covered alot of ground, and of the 9 people I talked to on the roads, no one heard a bird this morning.

I was lucky enough to see a hen around 8:15 am that came in silent, but made all kind of comotion when she couldn't find me! I thought for sure she would have some company, but to no avail. Around 11:15 I had moved about 4 miles away and was on the east side of 167 when 2 Jakes slipped in to about 80 yards, sneaking around silent and left after looking for a hen and not seeing one.

Hopefully the big man upstairs will bless me to get a bird this year, or even better, let me call one up for my son. Wish I had better news, but it was a tough day.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Same here buddy. Went to same spot I shot one last weekend to try and get one for my dad. Hooted and nothing. Took a few steps and flush 2 hens out the tree. Figured that wad done for so headed to other side of my lease. Get there and hoot, 2 gobblers answer me 200 yards away. I get in close and have a callin contest with a hen 50 yds from me still in tree. He was answering me over her though. Then I watch 4 hens fly down right in front of me to where the Tom was. They were on other side of creek so I try to loop back around and cross creek. Did that and he never answered me again. Hopefully these hens will start nesting soon.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

It's hard to hunt a new place.......Even though you have the skills it's still like starting over.

I'm sure with alot of pressure they aren't as vocal & slip in & don't see the little gal that's looking for him, leave pretty quickly. What ya call street smarts!
Old 03-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Same here buddy. Went to same spot I shot one last weekend to try and get one for my dad. Hooted and nothing. Took a few steps and flush 2 hens out the tree. Figured that wad done for so headed to other side of my lease. Get there and hoot, 2 gobblers answer me 200 yards away. I get in close and have a callin contest with a hen 50 yds from me still in tree. He was answering me over her though. Then I watch 4 hens fly down right in front of me to where the Tom was. They were on other side of creek so I try to loop back around and cross creek. Did that and he never answered me again. Hopefully these hens will start nesting soon.
Once they start nesting, I like to go in the middle of day the when they are on their nest & the gobblers are without their little hunny's. Have killed a few like that, "If" you can get one to answer he's normally already on his way & it happens pretty quick.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
Once they start nesting, I like to go in the middle of day the when they are on their nest & the gobblers are without their little hunny's. Have killed a few like that, "If" you can get one to answer he's normally already on his way & it happens pretty quick.
Man opening day I went back out bout 1:30 to spot I saw lots of tracks. Sat down and called little on my slate. Next thing I know 2 big toms are running straight down road to me. But there was creek b/w us and they turned off!
Old 03-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
It's hard to hunt a new place.......Even though you have the skills it's still like starting over.

I'm sure with alot of pressure they aren't as vocal & slip in & don't see the little gal that's looking for him, leave pretty quickly. What ya call street smarts!
I try and hunt Sherbune sometimes but like u said it's rough cause u don't know lay of land, sloughs, creeks, etc.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:08 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

They opened season way too early. Did battle Fri-Sun with the same turkey. But he got a whole pile of hens with him. Sux.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:37 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
They opened season way too early. Did battle Fri-Sun with the same turkey. But he got a whole pile of hens with him. Sux.
Same thing happened to me this mornin!
Old 03-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
If you remember the past few seasons opened ~ a week later.

And lots of hunter complained that the season opened too late so the opening date got moved up.

Last year at Clear Creek, the Tom's were gobbling in early March, up until the Youth weekend hunt........and hardly any gobbling after that weekend.

This spring has been unusual. The late cold weather, has delayed the plant growth ~ a month. I think the cold spring is the reason there has not been much gobbling and most likely.....the turkey breeding is just starting now.

The best hunting may not start until next week.

Friday, I heard some gobbling at first light. The Toms gobbled 3 or 4 times and then......nothing for the rest of the day.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

You are not using the correct bait for turkeys.
You need some Sand Eels...

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Enforcement Division agents cited 11 men on the March 20 and 21 opening weekend of the 2010 Louisiana turkey season for alleged turkey hunting violations in the Florida Parishes.

Agents in West Feliciana Parish cited Kyle J Wilkinson 26, of Sunshine, for hunting turkey over bait, hunting with an unplugged shotgun and for failing to comply with turkey tagging requirements; John R Alligood, 27, of Weyanoke for hunting turkey over bait and failing to comply with turkey tagging requirements; and Greg M Robertson, 25, of Lake Charles, for failing to comply with turkey tagging requirements.

In St. Helena Parish, agents cited Keith Asevado, 53, of St. Bernard, Eddie R Chaney, 71, of Clinton, William J Fromenthal, 56, of Schriever, Cody J Billiot, 24, of Theriot, and Jonathan W Stepps, 31, and Clayton Townley, 28, both of Prairieville, for hunting turkey over bait.

Agents cited Thomas Sanchez, 63, of Jackson, in East Feliciana Parish and Toney M Corkern, 47, of Angie, in Washington Parish for hunting turkey over bait.

If convicted, the penalties for hunting turkey over a baited area and for hunting with an unplugged shotgun each carries a fine of $250 to $500, or jail time up to 90 days, or both plus court costs.

Failing to comply with turkey tagging requirements is punishable by fines of $100 to $350, or jail time up to 60 days, or both plus court cost.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Ling

I know one of these guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Quote:
I know one of these guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOu got some bail money for him???
Old 03-29-2010, 05:26 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
YOu got some bail money for him???
Nope! He's got plenty of money! HE KNOWS BETTER!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post

And lots of hunter complained that the season opened too late so the opening date got moved up.

Last year at Clear Creek, the Tom's were gobbling in early March, up until the Youth weekend hunt........and hardly any gobbling after that weekend.

This spring has been unusual. The late cold weather, has delayed the plant growth ~ a month. I think the cold spring is the reason there has not been much gobbling and most likely.....the turkey breeding is just starting now.

Friday, I heard some gobbling at first light. The Toms gobbled 3 or 4 times and then......nothing for the rest of the day.
Just because they are gobbling don't mean we need to be hunting them. I say open it up later, let the turkeys do some breeding without all the ding-a-lings harassing them and by the time the hens start to nest it will be prime time to be hunting. Win win for us and the turkeys. Start at very end of March and let us go to end of April at least. Last year and this year the Gobblers have been henned up all day until like the last week of season. And next year the season opens on March 19th. Crazy.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post

Im with Gerald on this one. Last year everyone was griping about it opening up too late. i think just the cold weather and delayed plant growth. from 3-21 to yesterday i noticed a tremendous diff in the growth of leaves and canopy. i think i am gonna give up till next week.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:09 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
Im with Gerald on this one. Last year everyone was griping about it opening up too late. i think just the cold weather and delayed plant growth. from 3-21 to yesterday i noticed a tremendous diff in the growth of leaves and canopy. i think i am gonna give up till next week.
Yes, they were griping it was too late, but it was not. Again, just because they are gobbling don't mean we are late. They have been gobbling as of late, but they are still with hens all day long. How you gonna kill a bird like dat? You won't get a chance until those hens start nesting. They typically don't start until April and that is when the hunting gets much easier.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Swordfish

yep think i might try a diff spot i got in the morning. havent been there yet this year but full of birds. its just so dang hilly. they hard to work!