SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217
Default FBI investigating possible homicide in Plaquemines Parish

FBI investigating possible homicide in Plaquemines Parish

October 07, 2009, 1:32PM

The FBI is investigating an apparent shooting in the waterways of Plaquemines Parish, but details about what occurred are scarce.
Initial reports indicated that one unidentified man was found dead on a pleasure boat near the West Main Pass area of the parish.
Maj. John Marie, a spokesman for the Plaquemines Parish Sheriff's Office, said federal officials notified the Sheriff's Office that one man was found dead and two other individuals were found with gunshot wounds. He said the wounded invidividuals were taken to a local hospital for treatment. However, Marie didn't have any more details because the FBI is handling the investigation.
A Coast Guard official said that since the FBI is conducting the investigation his office could only discuss the evacuation portion of the event. Petty Officer Tom Atkeson said that the Coast Guard evacuated one man from an oil platform near West Main Pass by helicopter at about 6:45 a.m.. Another Coast Guard official said that no one was actually shot.
Stay with Nola.com for more details.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Banned

wow
Old 10-07-2009, 02:02 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 843

Let us know if anymore details become available. I would like to hear more about this!
Old 10-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,549

sounds like a bad drug deal...
Old 10-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556
Default hmmmmm

If it was a fishing boat ,I'd have to assume that someone finally got tired of the potlikkers. since it was a pleasure boat i'd have to agree w/ drug deal gone bad or someone saw something they shouldn't have.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:03 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

Def, a drug deal, venice and grand isle/fourchon are some of the biggest drug ports in the nation
Old 10-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

true true dat !!!!! my aunt worked this scene... lemme find out what happened...
Old 10-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Entering A World of Pain

I'll bet it was some columbian bam bam...
Old 10-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

i texted her, she said "drug deal i g2g"
Old 10-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Old 10-08-2009, 07:21 AM
Great White

The FBI is investigating a death on a vessel in Plaquemines Parish, but details are scarce about the incident.
Sheila Thorne, an FBI spokeswoman, said the agency was called in to investigate a "crime on the high seas" Wednesday morning involving an unidentified vessel that was located 30 miles off the Plaquemines Parish coast in the Gulf Of Mexico. Thorne would only say that a single individual was found dead on the vessel. She would not comment on the cause of death, or the gender or age of the victim.
A Coast Guard official said that the agency was called to evacuate an unidentified man from an oil rig platform at about 6:45 a.m. near West Main Pass in connection with the death. He would not release any information on that man's injuries.
Early reports indicated that there may have been a shooting on the vessel that left one man dead and two others injured, but Thorne would not discuss those reports.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Great White

Man who died on boat in the Gulf of Mexico identified as FBI probe continues

October 08, 2009, 11:59AM

A man who died on a boat off the coast of Plaquemines Parish on Wednesday in an incident under investigation by the FBI has been identified.
Michael Holman, 53, of Golden Meadow died aboard the Alabama-based MS Sharlott, and his death has not been classified, Plaquemines Parish Coroner's Office Investigator Scott Polk said this morning.
Sheila Thorne, a spokeswoman for the FBI, said Wednesday that the agency was investigating a crime on a vessel about 30 miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico.
Holman apparently got into an altercation aboard the boat and had visible trauma on his body, Polk said. A second crew member was taken to West Jefferson Medical Center in Marrero for treatment and authorities detained another man for questioning, Polk said.
The Coast Guard said it was called to evacuate a man from an oil-rig platform Wednesday at about 6:45 a.m. near West Main Pass in connection with the death.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Great White

I just looked up the boat's name. It isn't documented with the USCG, so it must be from some other country, it may be state registered or they didn't document it. Most commercial boats are USCG documented.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Great White

Fisher's death was preceded by fight, investigator says

October 08, 2009, 6:15PM

The death of a commercial fisher in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Plaquemines Parish this week remained under investigation Thursday, while the victim's family and friends described him as a good man and experienced sailor.
Michael Holman, 53, was found dead on his father's commercial fishing vessel, the MS Sharlott, Wednesday morning about 30 miles offshore near West Main Pass. Holman's death remains unclassified, and a cause of death has not been released by the Plaquemines Parish Coroner's Office. Scott Polk, chief investigator for the coroner's office, said Holman's body showed visible trauma, but he would not detail the injuries.
The FBI is handling the investigation into Holman's death, because it occurred in federal waters. FBI spokeswoman Sheila Thorne said the investigation continues.
Holman apparently got into an altercation with one of two crew members on the vessel, Polk said. One of those men was taken to West Jefferson Medical Center in Marrero by a Coast Guard helicopter for treatment, while federal authorities detained the other man for questioning. The identities of the crew members and details about the altercation have not been released.
Deral Holman, the victim's father, said his family is eagerly awaiting the FBI's report, because they do not know what happened on the boat. Holman said his son and the crew were fishing for vermilion snapper, and that they regularly worked near Plaquemines Parish.
John Mallory Obert, a family friend, said Holman was a "good man and a good fisherman." Donald Holman, the victim's brother, said Holman got along well with people and did not cause trouble.
"He was a good man. He always tried to help people, " he said.
Holman was an experienced sailor who had been a fisher most of his life, Deral Holman said. He said his son was in the process of moving from Golden Meadow to Alabama. He said he hopes the family gets answers about what happened soon.
"We've got a lot to do right now, " Holman said. "He was my son . . . You know I couldn't say any bad thing about him."
Old 10-09-2009, 09:33 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Isn't it amazing how all the dead people in the news were all "good people". I find it ironic that I never hear "well you see, he was a mean son-of-a-gun that would fight with a pastor on the pulpit if he ever went to church and somebody finally put a cap in his butt"! It just amazes me! It's like when I was in law enforcement, "nope, wasn't me officer - I don't know why they always say it's me".
Old 10-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Great White

Gulf fishing boat death investigation brings arrest of crew member

October 09, 2009, 8:00PM

An Alabama man was booked with murder Friday in the killing of a commercial fishing captain aboard a boat off the Louisiana coast Wednesday morning.
Thomas Judson Poole IV, 44, of Foley, Ala., was booked with second-degree murder in the death of Michael Holman, 53, of Bon Secour, Ala.
Poole, in federal custody after being arrested in Marrero, is expected to be arraigned in federal court Tuesday, according to FBI spokeswoman Sheila Thorne. The FBI is handling the investigation because the death occurred in federal waters.
Holman was found dead on the Miss Sharlott, a commercial fishing vessel working near West Main Pass about 18 miles in the Gulf of Mexico off Plaquemines Parish, by Coast Guard crews responding to reports of a man injured. Holman, Poole and another unidentified man had been fishing in that area several days for vermilion snapper, Holman's father said.
Thorne said authorities believe the killing took place about 2 a.m., and the Coast Guard located the boat about 6:45 a.m. A crew member was taken to West Jefferson Medical Center in Marrero for treatment, but the extent of his injuries was not released.
Authorities have not released Holman's cause of death, but an investigator for the Plaquemines Parish coroner's office said he had visible trauma to his body.
Deral Gene Holman, the victim's father, said Poole was a new crew member his son hired for the fishing trip. Holman, who owned the boat, said he did not talk to Poole before the boat left. Although he has worked with his three sons in fishing operations throughout the years, Holman, 74, said he often let Michael handle hiring the crew.
Holman said he believes that Poole was fairly inexperienced, speculating that the greenhorn may have argued with his son about returning to shore because they had been out for some time. Holman said the other crew member was a regular.
"I really didn't know much about him, " Holman said of Poole. "I'm not sure where he came from."
Holman, who described his son as a "good man, " said his family is still reeling from news of Michael's death.
"It's really tore me up, " Holman said. "It's tore the whole family up.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Banned

i don't quite follow why

speculating that the greenhorn may have argued with his son about returning to shore because they had been out for some time
Old 10-10-2009, 02:05 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,250
Default wild stuff

wow
Old 10-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
i don't quite follow why

speculating that the greenhorn may have argued with his son about returning to shore because they had been out for some time
I guess he had a killer argument.