SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Redfish

Cash: 645
Default Navitable water ways

What is you opinion on entering private marsh areas and getting ran out of them by land owners are people that lease the land? Is it right, do you leave when told to leave are tell them to call the law. Louisiana has strict tresspassing laws that take up for land owners you dont even have to post your land and you can be ticketed are arrested for tresspassing.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022

I agree 100% with our laws.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,283

If you don't know don't go!! Cameron parish is really funny bout this...they not gonna play wit cha.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,250

What is the exact law. Can you be in a marsh that's private but got there by boat. For instance black lake lodge. I know you can get there by boat but you will be run off. I have permission to fish there from Kurt but don't bc I don't want to be harassed by his guys.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,022

No signs needed. I know if we catch anyone in our marsh, we are told to get boat numbers and report them.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:17 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

the law kinda sucks as far as if your not on main river boundries can get confuseing but it also helps out if its you property since now you dont have to fight posted signs being torn down
Old 08-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Being I live on a private canal, off the main river.

When people get smart with me saying," Its a navigable water way and all that b.s."

I say run through those culverts full speed, you will hit 1 foot of water, and thats not navigable according to the law, so get off of my culverts. You can not safely navigate through the culverts, so they are private.

Last edited by huntin fool; 08-11-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,194

Boatdriver let's not get into another fight again, we are cool now.

I grew up fishing in Grand Isle and only started fishing biglake three years ago. When my family and I decided to to buy land in the BigLake area I started booking trips with guides to learn the area. In a two year period I spent over 10K, I was serioius about learning how to fish the area and I still am.
A guide took me and my family to a spot on black lake that was very productive and he told me to go back to the spot anytime unless he was already there with a customer. I started fishing this spot off and on probably at least once a month. About a year and half ago I went back to this spot and a man on an airboat flew up to our boat nearly full throttle and almost knocked my then 3 year old and 6 year old boys in the water, my wife was terrified. The airboat had three grown men and I am sure all three were packing heat. They ordered me off of their land immediately and ran circles around my boat. I gladly moved, I had no idea I was on his land, the area I was in was a hugeseveral hundred yards flat.

Louisiana is one of if not the only state in country to have this law and no I do not agree with it. That being said, some people make honest mistakes and acting like a fool on the water being a tough guy v/s someone and their children is not the right way to do things.

Also fool I mean no disrespect to you but you need to be careful how you talk to people. While you may be a great fishermen and are well liked here, the fact is you are still a kid. You need to learn about treating people how you want to be treated and telling someone to "GTFO" would not be the way I would handle things especially when dealing with grown men and perhaps their family.

Before any of you start, I own a camp on a private canal, and various tracks of land and homes from Houston to Denham Springs. I do not care if someone fishing’s in "my" canal and if someone were on my land I would nicely ask them to leave. If they refused, then I would deal with it.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
Boatdriver let's not get into another fight again, we are cool now.

I grew up fishing in Grand Isle and only started fishing biglake three years ago. When my family and I decided to to buy land in the BigLake area I started booking trips with guides to learn the area. In a two year period I spent over 10K, I was serioius about learning how to fish the area and I still am.
A guide took me and my family to a spot on black lake that was very productive and he told me to go back to the spot anytime unless he was already there with a customer. I started fishing this spot off and on probably at least once a month. About a year and half ago I went back to this spot and a man on an airboat flew up to our boat nearly full throttle and almost knocked my then 3 year old and 6 year old boys in the water, my wife was terrified. The airboat had three grown men and I am sure all three were packing heat. They ordered me off of their land immediately and ran circles around my boat. I gladly moved, I had no idea I was on his land, the area I was in was a hugeseveral hundred yards flat.

Louisiana is one of if not the only state in country to have this law and no I do not agree with it. That being said, some people make honest mistakes and acting like a fool on the water being a tough guy v/s someone and their children is not the right way to do things.

Also fool I mean no disrespect to you but you need to be careful how you talk to people. While you may be a great fishermen and are well liked here, the fact is you are still a kid. You need to learn about treating people how you want to be treated and telling someone to "GTFO" would not be the way I would handle things especially when dealing with grown men and perhaps their family.

Before any of you start, I own a camp on a private canal, and various tracks of land and homes from Houston to Denham Springs. I do not care if someone fishing’s in "my" canal and if someone were on my land I would nicely ask them to leave. If they refused, then I would deal with it.
Heavens no I don't open up and say that lol. I'm good. Get cocky and don't listen, we will bring law in. Usually let my neighbor handle the dirty work. I'm a firm believer in treat others how you want to be treated. I've been screwed over quiet a bit in private marshes and don't plan to let up on anyone. I have a duck boat and a river boat on ramps locked up on my canal the last thing I want is some one back there messing with them.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
Heavens no I don't open up and say that lol. I'm good. Get cocky and don't listen, we will bring law in. Usually let my neighbor handle the dirty work.
I am glad to hear that, look if it is your land and the law is on your side then you have to protect it I have no problem with that. Someone making a mistake in their boat while trying to fish does not include malice.

It is a slippery slope, it starts with small little tracks of land and then before you know the oil company's decide they do not want people near their land/leases and then waterways we are all accustom to fishing like maybe Joe's cove are no longer accessible. I saw it happen in Golden Meadow.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,063

grand isle is famous for this s#$^
Old 08-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Great White

If yall think this law is stupid. Go look at the sabine river laws.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:20 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Folks pay good money to lease land.....often there is waters on it.....you can get to my duck lease by water, does that mean you should be there?? NO!!!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:03 AM
Flounder

Cash: 822

We have a camp on a private canal and I agree with the law... The truth of the matter is most people dont care about people fishing on there canals as most people are respectful and just fish and leave but its the people who try and come and hunt or outlaw in peoples property that ruin it. Its sad but its how it is in life a few bad people ruin it for everyone out there.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Folks pay good money to lease land.....often there is waters on it.....you can get to my duck lease by water, does that mean you should be there?? NO!!!
So you want to cut off access to all water going to your leased property? Ok cool, I will buy an acre of land on each side of the ship channel near the pilot station in the morning and cut off access to all boat traffic going north which leads to my camp that happens to be on a private canal. Make sense?
Old 08-12-2011, 07:47 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Most land owners (which is everyone that has responded except me, but since I have land all over various states I don't count) are of course going to agree with this law. Fishing is different than hunting, it always has been. When I was younger and we would deer hunt of course we would make sure we were not on someone's land, I have a problem keeping people off of my 40 acre tract in Denham Springs. Fishing is different, this law can be taken to extremes and I have seen it in Golden Meadow. Canals you have fished your entire life will all of the sudden no longer be accessible because some guy paid $500 or even $2,500 to lease the land around the canal. If the fishermen were to get out of his boat on the land then absolutely, bring him to jail for trespassing but someone fishing in a boat, I can't agree with that and you know what 49 other states agree with me. Texas is maybe the most conservative state in this country and other conservative states like Alabama that have much better hunting than Louisiana also have not adopted this law. This law was passed for one reason, rich land owners pushed for it and the common fishermen had no help from anyone to fight their fight.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
Most land owners (which is everyone that has responded except me, but since I have land all over various states I don't count) are of course going to agree with this law. Fishing is different than hunting, it always has been. When I was younger and we would deer hunt of course we would make sure we were not on someone's land, I have a problem keeping people off of my 40 acre tract in Denham Springs. Fishing is different, this law can be taken to extremes and I have seen it in Golden Meadow. Canals you have fished your entire life will all of the sudden no longer be accessible because some guy paid $500 or even $2,500 to lease the land around the canal. If the fishermen were to get out of his boat on the land then absolutely, bring him to jail for trespassing but someone fishing in a boat, I can't agree with that and you know what 49 other states agree with me. Texas is maybe the most conservative state in this country and other conservative states like Alabama that have much better hunting than Louisiana also have not adopted this law. This law was passed for one reason, rich land owners pushed for it and the common fishermen had no help from anyone to fight their fight.
I agree with this... I dont see how you can distinguish private water. Especially in a tidal area. If it was a lake with no water movement then it is surrounded by private land with no accessability but it not even the same water in a marsh that was there yesterday
Old 08-12-2011, 08:06 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,250

X3. I agree with bob and kasey on this issue.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 851

I tried to stay out of this one but....I rented an R/V lot on Bayou Lafourche for about eight years. We were a couple miles north of Bobby Lynns and there were about 3 little runouts across form our campground. One weekend (when I wasn't there) a friend let his kids age 12 and 9 years old troll across the bayou and fish in the canals to get away from the ever present crew boat/shrimp boat traffic in the Bayou. The so called land owners ran them out and told them "Don't come back, private". These guys also had a camp on the waterfront. Right after dark every weekend ,they came easing out of the same canal with no lights or running lights,threw their ice chest in the truck and hauled arse. I'm sure they were making some major meathauls on the redfish but would not allow kids to fish. I say if fish swim into a waterway, they belong to the taxpayers of Louisiana. If it's private dam it up, don't gate it. I will add this.We were close to some duck leases so during the season we would extend the courtesy of staying out of the ponds where we knew they were hunting. That's just common sense. There were other places to fish but during the summer,c'mon.

Last edited by Zachary Boy; 08-12-2011 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:31 AM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachary Boy View Post
I tried to stay out of this one but....I rented an R/V lot on Bayou Lafourche for about eight years. We were a couple miles north of Bobby Lynns and there were about 3 little runouts across form our campground. One weekend (when I wasn't there) a friend let his kids age 12 and 9 years old troll across the bayou and fish in the canals to get away from the ever present crew boat/shrimp boat traffic in the Bayou. The so called land owners ran them out and told them "Don't come back, private". These guys also had a camp on the waterfront. Right after dark every weekend ,they came easing out of the same canal with no lights or running lights,threw their ice chest in the truck and hauled arse. I'm sure they were making some major meathauls on the redfish but would not allow kids to fish. I say if fish swim into a waterway, they belong to the taxpayers of Louisiana. If it's private dam it up, don't gate it.
This is a major problem in the Lafourche area, several people I know no longer fish down there because of this. I suspect several people would change their position on this site if you could no longer fish areas in Turner's bay or behind the weirs. It happened in Lafourche, it can happen in big lake.

Another unintended consequence is there are people like me that are going to fish no matter what, if I had to buy a lease for my kids to fish then I would do it and would write that check and never look back. More buyers for leases (like me and my very wealthy neighbors in my camp area) would drive prices up for the rest of the people on this site that may struggle to pay their duck lease every year. Before long, guess what they can no longer afford their lease and they are looking for public places to hunt. I suspect many would change thier position on this law.