SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 08-23-2014, 08:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104
Default M1 Carbine Restoration

Picked up an M1 Carbine from a guy near Norfolk Naval Base. I had a 1911, he wanted a 1911, now he has a 1911 and I have a Sears & Robuck C9 .22lr and a National Ordnance M1 Carbine. Haven't shot either yet and don't know the value yet at all or either but it was a straight trade. The S&R seems to be in pretty good shape but the M1 is the gun in question. The previous owner before the guy I got it from decided to paint the stock in some form of camo. I want to restore this gun to its battlefield look. Now what would be the best way to strip the paint? Sand and strip or strip with mineral spirits and a scotch brite pad? Would I mess up the parkerized finish by using mineral spirits on the barrel and receiver?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (159.0 KB, 158 views)
Old 08-24-2014, 07:50 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

I would sand it with fine sand paper first...ive started doing firearms coatings for some of my friends and my personal stuff...I believe you may run into the wood soaking up some of the solvents you may use to strip the paint...you'll have to re-coat receiver/barrel...I would look around on gunbroker possibly for a used un painted stock...Ive used some very fine sand in my blasting cabinet on wood but you have to be very careful not to take off too much material...there are company's that make firearms strippers you may want to look into that also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Red Snapper

I think I handle the stock. The metal parts though are out of my area of expertise if I even have any lol. I need to take down the grip part a LITTLE bit anyway. It's a little wide for me and my wife's hands. Probably going to wind up giving it to my dad for his birthday if not Father's Day next year.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:38 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

break it down before you strip it, then no worries about messing up any finishes
Old 08-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

Try brake cleaner on the metal. Spray it on let it sit then spay it again wipe with a rag and spray again. Once it's all clean wash it real well in HOT water then spray down with gun Rem oil wipe off excess oil with a clean rag.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:08 PM
Red Snapper

I'll probably bring it by coastal gun works to get some prices from them and try and professionally install the sights and do a little polishing
Old 08-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

id send all the metal to birdsong industries and have it Black-T'd. they strip it, put on the coating and you'll never worry about rust or gun oil again. would turn out awesome.