SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535
Default Anybody Know of a Dove Hunt

I'd like to take my little boy dove hunting. I don't mind paying for a hunt. Does anyone have any info on any hunts happening anywhere in the state?

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,268

Keep an eye on the WLF website, there is usually a public hunt on opening day. Think its only like $10 too.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Check 2theadvocate.com on Thursday Sports outdoors section it will list all public fields....the public fields will have birds, they won't lease them if they don't. Got to get there early, around 7-8 am. They will let you in the field around 10am, it's a long wait but usually worth it.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,268

Anybody planning on making one of these?

In addition to the dove hunting opportunities available on Wildlife Management Areas, the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries will lease fields from private landowners for 1 day of hunting, Saturday, Sept. 3, 2011 at the sites listed below. These areas are available for opening day only.
The following rules will apply to all leased fields:
1. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited.
2. Shot larger than size 7 ½ is prohibited (size 7 ½ , 8, 9 are allowed)
3. All trash - including shell hulls - must be picked-up.
4. Only legal doves may be taken.
5. All hunters must have a daily permit. This permit is available at the field and will be issued
on a first-come first-served basis. If hunters have formed a line prior to the time permits are issued, permits will then be issued to those in line in order of arrival.
6. There is a $10.00 fee per hunter, 16 years of age and older. Hunters under 16 will be admitted free, but they must check-in and have a permit.
7. When a predetermined number of hunters are admitted, the field will be closed. Additional hunters may be admitted when someone leaves the field and surrenders his/her permit. Use of vehicles, including ATV’s, may be restricted and will vary from field to field. Check with Department personnel about restrictions when you check-in.
8. These leased fields will be open to the public September 3rd only. Entrance at any other time is trespassing.
These leased fields have been made available through the cooperation of the landowners. Future access to these fields and other private property is dependent on the conduct of the hunters using these fields.
Please abide by the above regulations and hunt ethically and safely.
Leased Fields Available Sept. 3 for dove hunting from noon to sunset:
1.Beauregard Parish, DeRidder: 500 acres shredded or cut corn.
Directions: Take Hwy. 190 west from DeRidder. The field is approximately 5 miles west of DeRidder on the north side of Hwy 190. Check-in will be at the rice dryers.
2. Grant Parish: 310 acres harvested milo.
Directions: Exit I-49 at Boyce and travel Hwy. 8 north across the Red River. Turn left after bridge and follow levee road less than 1 mile, follow signs.
3. Jefferson Davis Parish, Welsh: 325-acre partially plowed fallow field. Planted in rice last year.
Directions: Take I-10 to Exit 59 (Roanoke). Head north on Hwy. 395, then turn west (left) on Blanchard Rd. Follow Blanchard Rd. to Compton Rd. Field is located on the southwest corner of Blanchard and Compton roads.
4. Rapides Parish, Dream Hunts Resort: 100 acres planted in browntop millet.
Directions: Intersection of Hwy. 3170 and Hwy. 1, next to Elbow Slough WMA.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I passed by the Beauregard Parish field Sunday morning and saw 15 to 20 doves sitting on the electric wires.

Sunday afternoon.....passed again but did not see any doves.

FYI.....every year the hunters at this field do fairly well.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I passed by the Beauregard Parish field Sunday morning and saw 15 to 20 doves sitting on the electric wires.

Sunday afternoon.....passed again but did not see any doves.

FYI.....every year the hunters at this field do fairly well.
Cold front comes thru EVERY single year the week before doves season and runs off ALL the doves.

Ten bucks for a hunt is really cheap. Sounds like a good deal
Old 08-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,065

I've made the public LDWF hunt before. About 6-8 years ago in Marksville. We arrived about 10:00 in the morning and had to go sit out in the field until 12:00. You know, get our spot. It is first come first serve. I had about 2 realistic shots all day and my buddy had a few shots. I think we finished at about 6:00 with 4 doves. It was really not good at all. It was really hot, and I don't think my boy would have enjoyed it at all.

Now I have heard of some people having good hunts out there, just beware, I wouldn't want your son to have a bad experience.

It looks like there is a good chance of rain on Saturday, so it might actually be cool out there.

Good luck.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Beauregard field sucked last year. Thinkin bout checkin out the welsh field this year.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

if you hunt beau field... park AWAY from the field. Alotta car windows replaced and new paint jobs after that hunt.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

You have a tractor and bush hog. I have 25 acres in Fenton. Its grown up in Johnson grass. If it was to be bush hogged it would be full of doves. Has a canal on the south boarder and another canal running up throu the middle of it.