SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054
Default Stocking the Calcasieu River

As with allot of you guys, its a river I love to hate ... That said, I keep going back again and again... Nice launches, not much pressure, and a real nice place to spend a day relaxing...

Here is my question, has it ever been stocked ? If so or if not what would it take to get some traction on a restocking or is it not feasable to do so due to biological reasoning ???

I have heard "its not worth it", but cant really figure out why that would be true... Camps, fishing tournaments, close to town and allot of acreage would seem to be reasons "worth" stocking it...

Comments ???

Hydro
Old 06-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

I believe it was stocked.with some FL strain many years ago. Not 100% on this.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 606

I heard that they stocked it at one point but I am not sure why they stoped. I think Ron Castille was the one who led it and would be the one to ask. I sure wish they would stock it and I would volunteer to help.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
As with allot of you guys, its a river I love to hate ... That said, I keep going back again and again... Nice launches, not much pressure, and a real nice place to spend a day relaxing...

Here is my question, has it ever been stocked ? If so or if not what would it take to get some traction on a restocking or is it not feasable to do so due to biological reasoning ???

I have heard "its not worth it", but cant really figure out why that would be true... Camps, fishing tournaments, close to town and allot of acreage would seem to be reasons "worth" stocking it...

Comments ???

Hydro

Yes it has been restocked. After Rita it was restocked for bass. Couple years back they stocked hybrid striped bass, which can not reproduce.

Likely they restock unless another natural disaster? Doubt it. Unless we get a big push. Come to our dogfight weigh in, plenty of fish. Plenty of fish on the river, just not over populated. Which from my stand point, with me being on the water 300 days a year, the river has gotten better.
The size of the fish were catching is phenomenal. I've caught 20 + or - fish this year over 3 lbs with the biggest being 5 3/4
Old 06-18-2012, 08:02 PM
King Mackeral

I'm not doubting if there are good fish in the river or not, that's why I fish it... Just about the time you think your fishin' in a desert, it suprises you ...

On the flip side, I have met several guys who fish there regularly and/or have camps and say that things are going downhill...

I am looking for creel surveys, "river health" reports, etc (facts)...

Ever see anyone shocking fish and doing counts on the Calcasieu ??? I am sure someone has good info and I dont mind doing the legwork to find it...

Hydro
Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Flounder

Cash: 439

A friend of mind wrote a letter wildlife and fishers and ask them why do not stock the cal like they do other body of water and the reply was the water quality is so low that it would not do any good.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:30 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter300zx View Post
A friend of mind wrote a letter wildlife and fishers and ask them why do not stock the cal like they do other body of water and the reply was the water quality is so low that it would not do any good.
Same thing I have heard... I want to know what is wrong with the water ...

Guess my first contact will be with the fish cops...

Thanks,
Hydro
Old 06-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

The only water quality problem I see is the fact of saltwater intrusion. I'm catching reds and 3 dozen crabs off my dock.