SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite inshore spots here

LMC Marine

Old 04-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Some big ones today

I ran a trip today for Fish On Guide Service. I was awaken to thunder and the rain followed. In 2 hours we got 1.8 inches. We dragged our butts till after 9:00. I had a chance to get a birds eye view of my ride.

The forecast was for high winds after the front passed with scattered storms in the afternoon. Instead of running the river down we opted to stay close and fish some ponds. The customer wanted big reds but in these ponds the chances of big reds were not good. We fished some honey holes but they were nothing but sewer spots. The water was stirred up and nothing could be impressed with our bait.

I contacted Shawn and we decided to head towards the beaches in search of some studs. Once there Shawn finds some stingrays and hard heads. I had never been in this area before so I was reading the water and exploring some likely places without a sniff. In one pond I found a hardhead. First rod bend after about 3 hours. There is life in this area.

A short while later and we are buttoned up on a very large redfish. This fish is showing us why it got to the size it was. After a long fight and all the water around us stirred into mud the fish manages to get under the power pole and cuts the leader on the trim tabs. We almost had the first redfish between the 2 boats. That is why the fish stat in schools. Fish 1 Boat 0.

About a half hour later, in another area, we get buttoned up again. We are in very shallow water and we soon see another monster. This one is doing the same thing and controlling the fisherman. I lift the trolling motor as it goes to and around the front. It then heads around the boat and under the power pole. I raise the motor out of the water and the power pole. We can not get the fish under the boat due to it's size in the shallow water so we have to work the rod and line around the boat to the fish. There was 6 inches of water under the boat at the most. This one gets to the net and all I could do was grab it. The net was too small for this hog.

This was his first redfish. What a way to start. It was a reprieve from loosing the first one. After some photos I revived it and away it went. It was getting late and the sky was looking threatening again. We headed back to the original place and the water was a lot cleaner at this time. It was also moving well. Shawn sets up at a small island and puts a red in the box. I move into a dead end that the reds like to push bait into. As we ease in a 6 foot gator is playing in there and keeping an eye on us. It even watched us land another good sized redfish.

It pulled the Boga down to 14 pounds. We also put it back after the picture. With such a slow day I was glad they each had a chance to get one and both were good fish. I moved out of the dead end and hit a point that I tried in the beginning of the day. This time the honey hole is just that.

We find some keeper reds and the trout come by to visit. We only picked up 2 trout because it was already 4:00 and the customers had to be somewhere about 6:00. The last minute flurry put some meat in the box.

At first they did not want to keep any fish but late in the day they decided to keep a few. Turned out to be another good day and my yard is flooded again. Actually when I got home today the back yard was all green so the pumps are doing their job.

Have the same guys tomorrow. Will fish a different area.

Life is Good!
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM