SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:12 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 704
Default Arkansas Outfitter Help

Fellas i need some help. Me and three other guys want to go up to "AR-Kansas" to hunt mallards in the green timber this year. We kill a few mallards down here, but would like to go do it in the famous green timber of AR. Have any of you ever hunted up there or know of a decently priced outfitter that you know/recommend? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Damn. Your making me jealous. I've always wanted to go to AR and bust up some mallards in the flooded timbers!! Good luck.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:31 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

Buck shot lodge fricking awsome did it a few years ago with like ten of my buddies.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Go to the duck commanders website. He has a list of recommended guides and links to their websites, with some in AR.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck View Post
Go to the duck commanders website. He has a list of recommended guides and links to their websites, with some in AR.
At least he used to, may have re-done the site.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 706

http://www.stuttgarthuntingclub.com/index2.html

Slick McCollum will put alot of green on your stinger.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

I know some guys that slaughtered the mallards last 2 seasons in Stutgartt. I'll try and get the name of the place.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Swordfish

Double Deuce
It is in Dewitt, AR.

http://doubledeuceinc.com/
Old 07-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Bowed up,

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I hunted with a guy named Steve at Hood Lake Outfitters last year. We were not standing in the timber, but were in a slough in the timber and hunted out of a blind. It was the best hunt I have ever experienced. I saw thousands of Mallards and could have killed ten limits. We also killed some teal and a few greys. Steve is a salt of the earth type guy. He owns the property we hunted. I really enjoyed hunting with him and am booked up for opening day of this year. Steve's place is a few miles away from Osceola, AR.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Sand Trout

what part of the season do you guys recommend going?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
Bowed up,

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I hunted with a guy named Steve at Hood Lake Outfitters last year. We were not standing in the timber, but were in a slough in the timber and hunted out of a blind. It was the best hunt I have ever experienced. I saw thousands of Mallards and could have killed ten limits. We also killed some teal and a few greys. Steve is a salt of the earth type guy. He owns the property we hunted. I really enjoyed hunting with him and am booked up for opening day of this year. Steve's place is a few miles away from Osceola, AR.
Do you have contact info on him? Tried google and couldnt find anything.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,480

I live in Ar. and hunt all winter. Slick's and Five Oaks would be awesome. Try to hunt mid december to end of january.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaholic View Post
I live in Ar. and hunt all winter. Slick's and Five Oaks would be awesome. Try to hunt mid december to end of january.

Based on the prices of those two, you better hammer the mallards. I understand that we will be spending some money, but Slicks is $620/hunt and Five Oaks is $700+/hunt. We are looking to spend somewhere in the $300-$450/hunt (or cheaper).
Old 07-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowed up View Post
Based on the prices of those two, you better hammer the mallards. I understand that we will be spending some money, but Slicks is $620/hunt and Five Oaks is $700+/hunt. We are looking to spend somewhere in the $300-$450/hunt (or cheaper).
With lodging and meals included, gonna be hard to find a good place to hunt for $300-450. Now you could stay in a hotel and then drive to the lodge for the hunts in the mornings and spend that. But bad thing about that is they gonna put you in the crappiest spot cause you not spending the money the other guys are. Had the same thing happen to me on an Arkansas hunt. They put us in a crappy spot without a guide (they just showed us how to get there) and we only shot like 3-4 woodies. We were going to hunt public land the rest of the trip, but I ended up finding a old guy in Clarendon, AR that owned some property and would let me and my buddies hunt for $50/gun. We didn't hammer them but had a very good trip. Shot mallards, specks, snows, woodies, and greys. Went back to same place following 2 years for like $450 for the whole trip. (3 hunts mornings and afternoons) Just stayed at a little motel in Clarendon. This was 5 years ago probably and the old man we hunted with was in bad shape. He prob isn't even living anymore.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by specktator View Post
With lodging and meals included, gonna be hard to find a good place to hunt for $300-450. Now you could stay in a hotel and then drive to the lodge for the hunts in the mornings and spend that. But bad thing about that is they gonna put you in the crappiest spot cause you not spending the money the other guys are. Had the same thing happen to me on an Arkansas hunt. They put us in a crappy spot without a guide (they just showed us how to get there) and we only shot like 3-4 woodies. We were going to hunt public land the rest of the trip, but I ended up finding a old guy in Clarendon, AR that owned some property and would let me and my buddies hunt for $50/gun. We didn't hammer them but had a very good trip. Shot mallards, specks, snows, woodies, and greys. Went back to same place following 2 years for like $450 for the whole trip. (3 hunts mornings and afternoons) Just stayed at a little motel in Clarendon. This was 5 years ago probably and the old man we hunted with was in bad shape. He prob isn't even living anymore.
Now that is what i am talking about. No chance he is still alive or would be willing to let four cajuns come hunt? We are not a crazy group and will pick up after our selves. I have found guided hunts (with lodgeing) anywhere from $275-$750 a morning. I am fine with the $300-$400 range, not the $750 range. Seems like Slicks is a popular choice, but wants $620/hunt. There are places like buckshot lodge at $500/hunt and Retriver Lodge also at $500/hunt. While places are a cheaper like Bayou Metro $400/hunt, Paradise Wings Lodge $250/hunt, Popa Duck $275/hunt, Honey Locust Lodge $300/hunt, Greenheads & Labs $350/hunt, and Faras Run (no lodgeing) $175/hunt. I just dont know which one is the best or if you get what you pay for.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowed up View Post
Now that is what i am talking about. No chance he is still alive or would be willing to let four cajuns come hunt? We are not a crazy group and will pick up after our selves. I have found guided hunts (with lodgeing) anywhere from $275-$750 a morning. I am fine with the $300-$400 range, not the $750 range. Seems like Slicks is a popular choice, but wants $620/hunt. There are places like buckshot lodge at $500/hunt and Retriver Lodge also at $500/hunt. While places are a cheaper like Bayou Metro $400/hunt, Paradise Wings Lodge $250/hunt, Popa Duck $275/hunt, Honey Locust Lodge $300/hunt, Greenheads & Labs $350/hunt, and Faras Run (no lodgeing) $175/hunt. I just dont know which one is the best or if you get what you pay for.
I don't know what his number is. I looked for it but can't find it. His name is Mack McKenzie. Let me try and google his name and see if a number comes up.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,480

Definitely get what you pay for. Cheaper hunts will be in fields. Well managed clubs with a good reputation will not be cheap. You can always hunt public. If you hunt 4-5 mornings you should be able to have a good hunt at least one morning. Just depends how much work/scouting you're willing to do for public or how much you want to pay for guide.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:01 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

You get what you pay for. Flooded timber that is full of ducks for most of the season goes for a premium and people WILL pay it, thats why they charge so much. Duck hunting leases are getting RIDICULOUS, especially in Arkansas. No matter how much money you think you have, someone else has more and willing to pay it. I usually get on some good flooded timber mallard hunts in N La, be more than willing to take some of you for a goose hunt
Old 07-26-2011, 06:06 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

If you got a boat and can take the time to scout you can get in on some great mallard action on the WMAs in N La or S Ar
Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Flounder

Cash: 698

Like everyboby is saying you get what you pay for. Don't use Black Dog Hunting Club, Went with them about 5 years back. Had ducks all over the place just not well prepared at all. Also all these outfitters offer flooded timber, about 80% of them have no timber to hunt. I would use Stuttgart Hunting Club they are leget, only have timber to hunt.