SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 02-17-2012, 02:59 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 912
Default Gator Questions

Yeah, yeah. I'm the out of state guy asking the questions that I'm sure you see all the time, but hopefully someone will help me out. I have a relative that lives near Alexandria and I am trying to find information on gator hunting in the area. I have looked into a few guide services in the southern part of the state, but I thought if there was a spot close to Alexandria I might save myself a few bucks. I know that I have to buy a non-resident license and be accompanied by someone who has gator tags, but I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out with a little better info.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

I've never really heard of a "gator hunting" guide service but I'm sure with swamp people on now, people could make a killing on out of staters. If I were you, I would go set some limb lines for catfish then pull up to it the next morning and shoot it. Same concept and you could save yourself some money. And if you wanna see alligators when you come down go to lacassine or Sabine
Old 02-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 949

Grosse savanne in big lake did guide i dont know if they still do. there is an airboat tourguide in des almond ( not sure of spekking)at the base of the bridge that does guided gator huns as well
Old 02-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 949

des allemands
Old 02-17-2012, 03:28 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

People across the country are so gullible when they watch swamp people. I believe alexandria would be a little too far north to get good gator hunt. You would need to come down to the southern swamps. But really you are only talking an hour and a half drive. No biggie.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,550

dude i've went to ruston, my buddy's friend bought pin oak mallard club...yeah used to be in the magazines field and stream etc...we were trying to catch an 11' gator in their swamp...they got'em cuz...bele dat....we went to the cleaners to drop off a small gator and he opend the freezer....holy moly they had a 13 in that summbuck that was huge!!!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 02-17-2012, 03:58 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Cotile lake has plenty of alligators jus outside A town. Those bastiges are all over da state not jus sout of da eye tan. Dey has a lottree fer pubic land gator tagz, check wit da fish peoples in baton rouge.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,468

Gator hunting guides have been around for quite a while. Very expensive though.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidrine View Post
Gator hunting guides have been around for quite a while. Very expensive though.
I never knew that. I've never looked for them but I have never cam across an ad for a guided gator hunt either. I bet whoever does it could make some coin with the whole country watching swamp people now
Old 02-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
I never knew that. I've never looked for them but I have never cam across an ad for a guided gator hunt either. I bet whoever does it could make some coin with the whole country watching swamp people now
I thought everyone in the whole state of louisiana was a alligator hunter. Never met one person that dont choot em.....
Old 02-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

At one time, out of state hunters could only shoot 3 gators.
And out of state hunters did not qualify for lottery tags either.
There are several guys who will take you out, the bigger the gator, the more money you pay. A trophy gator will cost around $1000 just to shoot. If you want to keep it, it will cost around $100/ft. or more on top of the $1000.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeep View Post
Grosse savanne in big lake did guide i dont know if they still do. there is an airboat tourguide in des almond ( not sure of spekking)at the base of the bridge that does guided gator huns as well
That is one website I looked at, and their price is reasonable. It is a hunt only and you have to pay out the big bucks to actually take the gator home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Cotile lake has plenty of alligators jus outside A town. Those bastiges are all over da state not jus sout of da eye tan. Dey has a lottree fer pubic land gator tagz, check wit da fish peoples in baton rouge.
That is the closest place I found while looking online, but they made it seem as if a non-resident wouldn't be able to go along with a guide on Cotile Lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
At one time, out of state hunters could only shoot 3 gators.
And out of state hunters did not qualify for lottery tags either.
There are several guys who will take you out, the bigger the gator, the more money you pay. A trophy gator will cost around $1000 just to shoot. If you want to keep it, it will cost around $100/ft. or more on top of the $1000.
I mostly want to go for the experience, I am not interested in a trophy. I'd rather take home the meat than I would the hide or head.

Thanks for all the responses. If you don't mind a northerner hanging around, I'm sure I'll enjoy all your fishing and hunting stories.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Pull up a chair... what kind of hunting do you do up in Indiana?
Old 02-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Entering A World of Pain

always nice to breakaway from the norm...welcome!!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 02-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Pull up a chair... what kind of hunting do you do up in Indiana?
Whitetails, turkeys and squirrels so far. I'm relatively new to the hunting world, as last year was my first year seriously hunting.

Fishing is mostly for largemouth bass, bluegill and crappie. There are a couple local lakes that have musky and trout, which I'm hoping to get into some of them this year. I also have a walleye tripped planned for a lake in Illinois later in the spring.

I will admit that my desire to go on a gator hunt is from watching Swamp People. I'm sure there are some folks in LA who don't care for the show, but I'd say anything that can get people interested in one's home state is a good thing.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosepond Monster View Post
Whitetails, turkeys and squirrels so far. I'm relatively new to the hunting world, as last year was my first year seriously hunting.

Fishing is mostly for largemouth bass, bluegill and crappie. There are a couple local lakes that have musky and trout, which I'm hoping to get into some of them this year. I also have a walleye tripped planned for a lake in Illinois later in the spring.

I will admit that my desire to go on a gator hunt is from watching Swamp People. I'm sure there are some folks in LA who don't care for the show, but I'd say anything that can get people interested in one's home state is a good thing.
It is a neat deal to experience no doubt...but don't be disappointed when the alligator doesn't go crazy, thrash water, bite the boat and just floats up and "pow" its done.... thats how it really works..lol

But fried alligator can be some good stuff!! Swamp People is a double edged sword its a bad rep for LA and also creates interest...prob alot from animal rights folks lol
Old 02-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Redfish

Cash: 861

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
It is a neat deal to experience no doubt...but don't be disappointed when the alligator doesn't go crazy and just floats up and "pow" its done.... thats how it really works..lol
Yep. They just playing with them on TV for the audience. If you are serious, come kill '1' and then go to local seafood/meat market and buy 2lb of tail meat to take home. It will be a great conversation piece and since you are a fishermen, I'm sure you can fib a little so tell it like they see it on swamp people. You'll be a legend up there.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:15 PM
Great White

There is a lot more drama on them shows than there is actually hunting gators.
I hunted them for almost 20 years, most of the time alone.
The small gators thrash around, them big uns don't, unless you make them.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosepond Monster View Post
Yeah, yeah. I'm the out of state guy asking the questions that I'm sure you see all the time, but hopefully someone will help me out. I have a relative that lives near Alexandria and I am trying to find information on gator hunting in the area. I have looked into a few guide services in the southern part of the state, but I thought if there was a spot close to Alexandria I might save myself a few bucks. I know that I have to buy a non-resident license and be accompanied by someone who has gator tags, but I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out with a little better info.

Check your PM's/
Old 02-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

GM, welcome to SC neg!!! U come down and we'll pass a good time.