SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 04-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,196
Default Spinning wing decoys

Do you use them at all? All season? Only the first split? Most of the people that I know use them the first split with great effectiveness and bring a remote with them to turn off the units if geese come in so they do not flare them. Then they put them up for the 2nd split.

Another good friend of mine keeps his on the entire first split near his blind where he wants ducks to land and he then moves them to the outside of his spread for the 2nd split because he believes they will not finish in the 2nd split after having seen so many spinners at that time. However he still uses them both splits.

What works for you guys?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,322

Don't have my own place to hunt, but me and Shawn talked about this, this season. One thing not a lot of people think about, but those ducks have seen it all as they come down the flyway and the season is open in the other states as they come down.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

I use two for teal season and after that I don't use them anymore
Old 04-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcnabb View Post
I use two for teal season and after that I don't use them anymore
Mind if I ask why?
Old 04-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Red Snapper

For one I mostly hunt geese over dry fields. And if I do duck hunt its in the reserve where every yahoo has two or three goin and it's just more bs to carry. Plus i used to just hunt lacassine so we didn't kill many teal. Big ducks like greys, mallards, mottled ducks will come to a call. I would rather kill a duck I called than a duck that dive bombed in bc I bought a decoy that had spinning wings. Not knocking people who use them, just my preference
Old 04-15-2012, 12:34 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

In line with Casey's question. Is there days you find they are more effective than not?

Like cloudy days, calm days, etc.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Red Snapper

I honestly have no clue. Since we have had one, about 5 years ago, I might have used them on 15 hunts during big duck season. I used to hunt lacassine religiously and we hunted a small pothole and killed mostly mallards, mottled ducks, greys, with a few teal and spoonies. I personally was not impressed with a robo duck and the first bird that flared off it I pulled it up. I think it works good during teal season bc they get down here so quick so they aren't getting pounded like later migrators such as mallards. The robo duck works ok on greys. as far as putting a pattern on the weather vs how well the robo works, I don't have enough experience with them.

It's fun to piddle with decoys and what not during the offseason, but during the season, I think people focus too much on all the gadgets and forget about the real important basics like hiding. That's more important to me than any decoy
Old 04-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

use one in first split but only because i have a remote. i would never use one without a remote. cloudy and rainy days i leave it at the camp. Sunny north wind days with new mallards it seems to work pretty good but i find myself always turning it off after the first or second pass. Like cmcnabb said i would never use one on a refuge. greys teal pintail widgeon love them early in the season
Old 04-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

As far as spending 200 bucks on one, buying 3 dozen more decoys in my opinion works just as good. jerk strings and wake makers are probably better options than a mojo, unless you kill mostly greys and teal
Old 04-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

Ducks don't seem to respond to them as well as they did in the first few years. The only person that I know that finds them highly effective has 5 or 6 plus mallard 2 mallard machines. That is too much crap too deal with early in the morning.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

95% of the time, I leave it home.. Only time I bring mine, teal season, or when there are Squealers in the area. Them things love a mojo. Can't really call them in other than whistling.

To me, the wake maker would be your best option as far as a useful thing. When we hunt timber, motion is our best friend.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:25 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Gotta have one for teal season. First few weeks of big duck I will use them but usually take em down before 8am when the big ducks really start flying. I find greys and teal really love em. By the split I hardly use them anymore. Just think about it, you got people that use 3-4 of them at a time. So if a duck passes over my area, they prob see 25-30 mojos going so I think they figure it out and go where the mojos aren't. When they first came out, they were so much more effective. First few times i used one, I would see grey ducks literally fly up to it during teal season and it looked like they were "humping" it. Jerk cords work alot better IMO.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:29 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
In line with Casey's question. Is there days you find they are more effective than not?

Like cloudy days, calm days, etc.
It's better used on sunny days. If its overcast, the white side is too white but some people put painty holes over the wings to help dull the white reflection.

I agree with fool, ripples in the water is better.

I have a friend that uses 9 in a rice field in Whiteville and they have one of if not the best blind in that area. That blind might do just as well without em, it's all about trial and error. If the ducks are flaring make changes ASAP
Old 04-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Casey, stop pizzing money off my friend. Duck hunting is about learning through trial and error, take the time to build the experience. It ain't "Bean Counting"! Slow down buddy, you'll get there just enjoy the journey.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:04 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Casey, stop pizzing money off my friend. Duck hunting is about learning through trial and error, take the time to build the experience. It ain't "Bean Counting"! Slow down buddy, you'll get there just enjoy the journey.
X2
Old 04-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,329

We used to use a mallard machine and that thing worked better than anything i have ever seen.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:11 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

they will get your money......
Old 04-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

During teal season i use a mojo teal and dove everyday, cause them suckers suck right into it. During big duck season i always bring em, but don't put them out unless the ducks just won't work to the call. One day last year they just wouldn't respond to the call so i walked to the boat got it, put it out and the grey ducks just started dive bombing t the spread. I never use it on a cloudy day, cause i feel the wings are to white. The best thing to do casey is practice with the call, and trial and error.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

We use em all year but this year we goin with the real motion flapping mojo. Much more realistic looking. We will see how it goes. Should do well even with so many mojos around. They look alot more like a real duck than the spinner wings
Old 04-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I do not mind taking the time, I work on my duck calls every day in the truck/car on my way to work. It's hard to get "experience" in April when the season is closed. I put 110% effort into everything that I do in life. I won’t' stop until I can consistently hunt and hold my own with all of you that is just my nature. I was just gauging the boards experience with spinning wing ducks. I am not foolish enough to think I know a fraction of what most of you know. If I can get pointers on here from you more experienced hunters I am all for it. There are type A people in life, I make those people seem calm and laid back. Sorry to push everyone on a Sunday, November seems like years right now and not months.