SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-20-2013, 07:01 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 740
Default Dewey Wills WMA

I think we have had this discussion a year ago or so, but I'm looking for some info. I'm looking to make a few trips duck hunting at Dewey Wills WMA this year and I have no idea where to start.
Do I hunt the holes in the woods or the bayous around Saline or Larto?
Is it holding ducks now or will I have to wait for the water to rise?
How are the crowds?
Just looking for a starting point instead of going completely blind.
Any info is appreciated!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 849

Have hunted there and have had good hunts. We used to find sloughs and cuts off of the bayous and throw out decoys and have nice hunts. Killed mallards, teal and woodies out there.

Stopped hunting there because that is some of the rudest people that hunt there. Since it its public, people can set up anywhere and they are not scared to set up very close to you if they hear you shooting (a lot of young people hunting out there.. not that there is anything wrong with that; it is just that a lot of the young ones there dont have respect for others). The roads are narrow and people haul butt down those roads... almost running me off the road on several occasions.

If you can handle the BS that goes on out there, there can be some good hunting there. We would hunt it quite a bit since I have a cousin that lives close to there.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Trophy Trout

Thanks for the help. I'll just have to make a few scouting trips and find a couple of spots to try
Old 11-20-2013, 04:11 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcajun View Post
Have hunted there and have had good hunts. We used to find sloughs and cuts off of the bayous and throw out decoys and have nice hunts. Killed mallards, teal and woodies out there.

Stopped hunting there because that is some of the rudest people that hunt there. Since it its public, people can set up anywhere and they are not scared to set up very close to you if they hear you shooting (a lot of young people hunting out there.. not that there is anything wrong with that; it is just that a lot of the young ones there dont have respect for others). The roads are narrow and people haul butt down those roads... almost running me off the road on several occasions.

If you can handle the BS that goes on out there, there can be some good hunting there. We would hunt it quite a bit since I have a cousin that lives close to there.
My girlfriends dad has about about 1000 acres bordering it. I deer hunt up there a couple times of year. They do a lot of shooting that's for sure. My gf's dad strictly deer hunts his property though. He's got some nice swamp too but I've only ever seen woodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 11-20-2013, 05:10 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 849

I hunted it back in 2007-2011 and we had some mornings where we would have 4 of us hunting and limit out in no time. Some mornings, we wouldnt shoot but always saw some. I bet out of the 30 or so times I hunted Dewey Wills, we only got skunked maybe 5 times. We had to stay a little longer some days because we found that you would get the initial wave of ducks very early in the morning and once everyone started leaving and heading back to the launches, they would scatter the ducks again from all of the boat traffic and we would get a few more birds. Good hunting but wasnt worth the BS for me!

We used to hunt a slough on a regular basis with the closest person to us about 200 yds away. One morning, we pulled up to a spot that we would hunt and the guy that would hunt 200 yds away had taken our spot along with his buddies in 3 other boats! Needless to say, we found us another area for that day and beat him to the spot the next day. He still set up 50 yds from us. 3 or 4 days later, another boat comes and sets up by us along with the other guy and it just got to be too much. Maybe its better now

Hunting is good though
Old 11-26-2013, 07:23 AM
Trophy Trout

Any reports from the weekend?
Old 11-26-2013, 09:04 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

I used to hunt the green tree reservoir in Dewey Wills. Its 40 acres of flooded timber with openings cut in the timber for duck hunters. Would do really good there sometimes. If you go to Dewy Wills make sure you toe the line man. Got a ticket there once for parking on the wrong side of the road and when I called to see how much the fine was the lady at the courthouse said 70% of all wildlife citations in LaSalle parish come from Dewey Wills. Her exact words were" I would tell em to shove that place up their azz".
Old 11-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 562

I've been hunting Dewey wills for the past 3 years. Green tree is a good spot if you get a good pothole. Problem is I think there is only 12 or 13 holes that I know of. Have to get there early, don't get caught in the parking lot before 4 am, or its a ticket. I have talked to a few people I know and they said they have been limiting out the last few days on catahoula lake.