SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Flounder

Cash: 564
Default Missing Florida Teens

Two 14 year old boys lost in the ocean in a 19ft boat. The boat was found capsized but the boys haven't been located yet. Is it me or is 14yo way too young to be running a boat alone in a large body of water?? I understand that kids need some freedom but I would NEVER let my kid go fishing alone. Sure he can drive a boat but he doesn't possess enough judgment to just cut him loose and run free. Vermilion bay gets stupid rough so I can't imagine being in the Atlantic when a storm pops up. I'm just trying to understand what were the parents thinking???
Old 07-27-2015, 10:11 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Yea saw that , sad because I'm sure they got over whelmed in that situation !! 1st key to survival is stay with your boat !!

Just wonder if they tried to swim for land
Old 07-27-2015, 10:13 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

Hope this turns out better then its looking
Old 07-27-2015, 10:15 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

I've grown up having boats. It wasn't that uncommon for me to take off for hours on end at that age. I don't think you can really blame the parents, this could have happen to anyone and it does.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:31 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Man that sucks, prayers sent.

There is a very large spectrum of maturity among 14yr old boys; it just depends on their exposure and experience. It's difficult to judge the situation without knowing all the details.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:08 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Yea saw that , sad because I'm sure they got over whelmed in that situation !! 1st key to survival is stay with your boat !!

Just wonder if they tried to swim for land
W you are right...easier to spot a boat than a person or worst body in the water...hope and pray for the best...things can change in a matter of minutes in a large body of water...been there...
Old 07-27-2015, 11:57 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

That's a bad situation.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:31 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

From all accounts, these kids were prolly as experienced as boaters as anyone on this site. Their parents set limitations as far as where they could go unsupervised. Now, did they follow those rules? Hopefully they'll show up. It has to be very trying times for families and friends. God Speed!!
Old 07-27-2015, 01:43 PM
Redfish

Cash: 758

At the age of 9, my dad let me take the boat by myself, in a lake the size of Lake Fausse Pt. But you have to understand I was in a 16 foot wooden boat with a 5 hp motor. And I better not go beyond the limits that were set.

I'm praying for the lost boys and their parents.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:52 PM
Flounder

Yeah man it's a bad deal. Hopefully they are found safe.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:02 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
From all accounts, these kids were prolly as experienced as boaters as anyone on this site. Their parents set limitations as far as where they could go unsupervised. Now, did they follow those rules? Hopefully they'll show up. It has to be very trying times for families and friends. God Speed!!
Salty they were 14. Cant have that much real world experience behind the wheel right?
Old 07-27-2015, 04:20 PM
Flounder

Yeah you're right but I was too quick to blame the parents. I just read the coastguard report and it sounds like they were supposed to stay in Jupiter Inlet. It also stated that the boys had enough experience to know that there was no way they could make it to the Bahamas with the equipment they had so they are ruling that out as of now. Who knows. Maybe they had engine trouble and the current took them out to sea. The article did say that only one life jacket was found and the engine cover was missing. Hopefully they are hanging on out there and will be found alive and well.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyb View Post
Salty they were 14. Cant have that much real world experience behind the wheel right?

As much as some adults who run out and buy a boat for the first time in their lives.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:23 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

Agree
Old 07-27-2015, 04:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
As much as some adults who run out and buy a boat for the first time in their lives.
God knows there's too many of those out there!
Old 07-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

Sad story

My grandfather let me start taking his center console out of hackberry when I was 13. I grew up fishing with him and my dad and fishing out of the old "fishing ski barge" though.Parents layed down same rules don't leave ship channel, but of course we ran offshore anytime it was flat.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:49 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
As much as someone who takes a 14' Boston whaler to the rigs out of grand isle?
Old 07-28-2015, 10:45 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I let my 14 yo take his kayak out by himself in well-defined areas. He's been out in Big Lake, da West Side Weirs, the Mississippi River, LSU University Lake, and several other fresh water locations. I usually set up and fish the bank near the launching point, but he's often out of immediate sight (but within 1/2 mile). He's planning to fish the Ride the Bull tournament in Caminada pass in a few weeks. I plan to be within sight to summon help if there is a problem, but there will already be a lot of boats in the pass, and I don't think I need to be in a boat.

Some of my teenagers have taken the Coast Guard boating course, and I don't have a big problem turning them loose with our 16 ft V hulled Alumacraft with 20 hp motor in a well defined area with a float plan and a defined return time. Handing the car keys to a 16 year old to navigate I-10 and I-12 rush hour traffic in Baton Rouge is actually much scarier for my wife and I as parents.

In areas with cell service, it is not too hard to set up a smart phone to track their location in real time so that a parent can confirm they are staying within their approved boundaries and quickly determine a last known location should they not return home or check in at an expected time.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:33 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,578

I saw 3 young fella's at Vermilion 51 on Saturday in what looked like an 18ft Express center console bay boat. Seas were 2-3ft, they shouldn't have been that far out in that boat!!
Old 07-28-2015, 03:30 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyb View Post

I guess that depends on their time spent on the water. Apparently, these two were far from "week-end warriors".