SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710
Default For those who bought a NEW BOAT before.

(I have no experience in purchasing a new boat, luxury item finaced longer that's all I know) don't want another USED boat

The price for the boat I want is $33995 at the most. (Still looking around for a better price).

Ok is it worth it to put 15thousand down on this boat and still finance it for say 10 -12 years. For a lower note. Vs just 10% down and a $300+ note. Plus ins etc.

I'm thinking lower note pay more and pay off earlier?
Old 04-26-2012, 07:12 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaman View Post
(I have no experience in purchasing a new boat, luxury item finaced longer that's all I know) don't want another USED boat

The price for the boat I want is $33995 at the most. (Still looking around for a better price).

Ok is it worth it to put 15thousand down on this boat and still finance it for say 10 -12 years. For a lower note. Vs just 10% down and a $300+ note. Plus ins etc.

That's what I would do. That way if you can spare more one month, you can double up on the payment. Just my opinion.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:16 AM
Flounder

Cash: 1,189

Quote:

http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/...alculator.aspx

You could use this calculator to figure out what your note would be with the different scenarios and decide from there.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:22 AM
Sailfish

I've been playing with that calculator. Thanks
Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,250

i also placed a large down payment when i purchased my boat. my boat note was very low and i was able to pay it off early. i say place as much down as you can. keep in mine that the taxes on a boat are also very high. i purchased my boat in Texas with a check from the credit union. i then had to pay state taxes and also had to go to the school board and pay them as well. it was around 2500 just to the school board. i also had to pay the state. good luck bro and give me a call if you need more info.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

That's why Texas has good schools...
Old 04-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

BE VERY CAREFUL!!!
I got lied to by boat salesman and my dumb azz didn't read every line of the papers .
Contract had all the right numbers and such and i asked him could i double up on payments if i wanted to pay off early?
Was told no problem. Bank of America will only apply any extra to future intrest . none to the principal. READ EVRY LINE! Don't listen to salesman.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

As Eman mentions I would be leary of Bank of America. In case most of you don't know B of A just told McMillan Arms (the folks that make the very best rifle stocks and high end rifles and supply lots of stuff to the police and military) that they do not want their business any more. McMillan asked if this was a political decision and was told that it was. I never liked B of A anyway, but I will forever refuse to do business with them now.

Back to your question, if you have the cash I would put it down. Better to put it down now and pay your boat off earlier than to waste the cash on something else.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

It's always smarter to pay down the most you can afford so you can pay the least amount interest possible. An even better idea would be to go get a loan from a bank instead of through the boat dealership. When you walk in there with enough money to pay for the boat right then, you can to get a lot better deal. And remember the first rule of negotiating is whoever says a dollar amount first, is the one that always loses.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
It's always smarter to pay down the most you can afford so you can pay the least amount interest possible. An even better idea would be to go get a loan from a bank instead of through the boat dealership. When you walk in there with enough money to pay for the boat right then, you can to get a lot better deal. And remember the first rule of negotiating is whoever says a dollar amount first, is the one that always loses.
Thinkin' about it.................this is true.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 720
Default New Rig

X2 on loan fine print. Personnel preference but I rather a lower note with the ability for early pay off, have done this with last boat. They(Credit Union) where offering special loan rates at the time with different interest rates per term lengths. If buying out of state, as I did, check with the Dept. Of Revenue on current rules, I played hell with them in Lafayette getting the state tax's done(I'd get finger cramps going into details), and you will have to pay local tax at the school board. Good Luck with the purchase!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Banned

You could buy the 30K boat, pay interest (X%) on the loan plus take a huge hit on depreciation within the first 3 years (10+ K). OR..........just buy a nice 15K cash boat and enjoy your extra bait/gas money/taxes then sell it in 3 years for 12K. Once the new boat leaves the lot it's "used"
Old 04-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaAngler View Post
You could buy the 30K boat, pay interest (X%) on the loan plus take a huge hit on depreciation within the first 3 years (10+ K). OR..........just buy a nice 15K cash boat and enjoy your extra bait/gas money/taxes then sell it in 3 years for 12K. Once the new boat leaves the lot it's "used"
The price range for most 21ft -22ft boats range from 23-30000 (2008+) is asking price. My thing is y pay 25k for a used boat that is 3 4 years old. When I can get brand new for 5 grand more w/ warrenty. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

I would personally not pay interest on a recreational vehicle/ boat for longer than 3-4 years. To me stretching it out longer is a waste of money
Old 04-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Redfish

Cash: 824

Buy new. I bought a used boat a year ago and now have about 12K tied up in it. Now I have a very used boat, and I'm still spending money on it...
Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinman View Post
Buy new. I bought a used boat a year ago and now have about 12K tied up in it. Now I have a very used boat, and I'm still spending money on it...
The price u paid for the boat and what u have tide up in it now. Prob. = price of a brand new boat! Right
Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Bank of America messed me up on my Liam too. I WILL not deal with them after my boat is paid off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

IDK where you shopping but with the extended warranties offered on the newer Outboards and some with Lifetime Hull warranties you can geta good deal on a used rig.

Just remeber this.... B.O.A.T. =

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

It's never going to be as cheap as you think.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:47 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584
Default You asked

Quote:
The price range for most 21ft -22ft boats range from 23-30000 (2008+) is asking price. My thing is y pay 25k for a used boat that is 3 4 years old. When I can get brand new for 5 grand more w/ warrenty. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Man you asked for this.........but your wrong.
You mentioned a 33,995 boat.
That's 9K more in my book not 5.

on the financing........look into the Credit Unions in the area, the seem to be simple interest and no pre-payment.

Also, set up your payments to come out your check automatically with what ever extra you can on principle.

I find if you do it automatically it works.........if you don't, there is always another place to spend the "extra"

Bank on yourself.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
Man you asked for this.........but your wrong.
You mentioned a 33,995 boat.
That's 9K more in my book not 5.

on the financing........look into the Credit Unions in the area, the seem to be simple interest and no pre-payment.

Also, set up your payments to come out your check automatically with what ever extra you can on principle.

I find if you do it automatically it works.........if you don't, there is always another place to spend the "extra"

Bank on yourself.
Your right. I wasn't specific. Should have said 9 based of of 33995. But 21 ft r more the price is 30k+ in price. From what I've look at.