SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:00 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,103
Default Pressure Washing Boat

This may have been brought up in the past, but wanted to ask how may of ya Pressure Wash your boat. If so have it ever been damaged by pressure washer? What PSI are you using?
I am wearing myself out cleaning boat after each trip!
Thinking about getting a pressure washer to use around the house and clean boat when needed.
Also what is best soap for cleaning boat? I generally use dish soap, but wondering if there is anything better out there.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

I use attwood non skid deck cleaner, followed by a pressure washer. I also hear the starbrite works pretty well
Old 04-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by yigodiver View Post
This may have been brought up in the past, but wanted to ask how may of ya Pressure Wash your boat. If so have it ever been damaged by pressure washer? What PSI are you using?
I am wearing myself out cleaning boat after each trip!
Thinking about getting a pressure washer to use around the house and clean boat when needed.
Also what is best soap for cleaning boat? I generally use dish soap, but wondering if there is anything better out there.
I wash mine with pressure washer and never screwed up anything. Only time I screws up is putting stuff on boat that was acidic. Messed up some vinyl and made the outside gel coat a lil chalky

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 04-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

I use a pressure washer and have no problems. If you are having issues cleaning the deck use bar keepers friend to clean it good. After that use two coats of woody wax. Woody wax is not like a normal wax you spray it on the deck then wet it with water and and brush it in and let it dry. After i started doing this it only takes me about 20 minutes to clean my boat after I go fishing.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,732

Good advice on the Woody Wax but buy Fluid Film off of amazon. Its the exact same thing and a whole lot cheaper!!!!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Red Snapper

Never seen fluid film. I will have to try it
Old 04-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM View Post
Good advice on the Woody Wax but buy Fluid Film off of amazon. Its the exact same thing and a whole lot cheaper!!!!
Isn't that a lubricant and corrosion protector?
Old 04-16-2014, 10:42 AM
Redfish

yes it is a good lubricant as well. You can even spray it on electrical connections. You can use it just like woody wax on vinyl, fiberglass etc...
Old 04-16-2014, 10:47 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM View Post
yes it is a good lubricant as well. You can even spray it on electrical connections. You can use it just like woody wax on vinyl, fiberglass etc...
It's not slippery? It's not like spraying WD-40 on your boat?
Old 04-16-2014, 10:53 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
It's not slippery? It's not like spraying WD-40 on your boat?
Didnt you just try to tell me that listening to people with experience is better than following what is written down?
Old 04-16-2014, 11:05 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Didnt you just try to tell me that listening to people with experience is better than following what is written down?
Just trying to be clear before I go spraying lubricant all over the non skid finish in my boat. Thanks for looking out after me.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

just like your car, the boat needs a wax coating to prevent the film from sticking to it and just a tip for those who do have scum buildup, while its still in the water like after your fishing trip take a rag and wipe the hull down and that scum comes right off easy because it has been soaking in water to soften it. even just 5 minutes out of the water and that scum is hard as a rock again so waiting till you get to the carwash or home just makes your job harder. I usually wait until summer to clean my hull when you can jump in the water to cool off and clean your boat off at the same time. it doesn't get all of it but it does clean off a good 80-90% of it. when you get home try letting wd40 soak on the areas above the waterline and it will make your cleaning easier as well.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Isn't that a lubricant and corrosion protector?
My thoughts too when I looked it up. Woody wax is very slick also when you brush it on, but once it dries the deck is non skid again.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

there is nothing wrong with using wd40 on your hull or deck, it washes off easily with soap and water and leaves no film behind after so its not going to make anything slippery unless you don't wash it off.

wd40 safely removes bugs, bubble gum, or road tar from your cars paint without stripping the wax off it and it removes anything gummy or sticky like bumper sticker glue. so if its gummy or sticky wd40 takes it off.

by the way it also works as fish attractant, just spray it on an empty hook and you will catch catfish, drum, sheepshead, croakers, and other fish. admittedly I haven't caught a trout on it yet but I never really tried to.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Redfish

Woody wax and Fluid Film are slippery as owl s@#$ when you put it on so be careful. Once you have brushed it on with a soft brush you let it dry then hose off from the top down. Hosing it down ensures any areas that you might have missed are covered along with removing the excess. Let it dry again and you are done except for maybe wiping with a clean cloth to remove any "spots". It works great on non skid!!!!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Aurora Sure Step. Wax made for non skid.
Blood won't stick to it when dry.
Not slippery when wet.
Only bad part is the cost. But it lasts all year.
Brush on a light coat, let dry and brush off.

If you use a pressure washer, stand away from it, let a clean mist all over the boat.
That will get the salt crystals to go back into solution with the water.
Then hit it again with the mist, standing far away. That will rinse off the saltwater.
Then hit with soapy water from far away on next pass, then closer to get clean.
Be sure not to get too close when around switches, breakers and fuse holders.
The high pressure can get water into the connections.

The Attwood non skid cleaner works pretty good too. Thats what I use. It's cheap, don't
have to mix with water. Just rinse off fiberglass, squirt on non skid and brush real good.
Let sit for a couple minutes and brush again. It won't disolve or cut thru wax and it will
put a light teflon coating on the non skid to keep stuff from sticking. It foams up real
good, so it takes a good bit to rinse off.

I always use a light mist to get salt crystals back in suspension with the water. That
keeps high pressure water from pushing the crystals into cracks and places you don't
want salt.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:24 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,142
Default pressure washer

I mist my boat with water hose and then put a light spray of bathroom cleaner with bleach. Then blast with pressure washer...STAY AWAY FROM DEPTHFINDERS. I got to close to a Lowrance on the front deck and it went south. Not on purpose but I did upgrade from X52 to a 510C.