SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 08-23-2016, 08:19 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,645
Default ICY question

Anybody fish around these canals or is it part of a corporation? Trying to venture out a little and find some new areas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2016-08-23 08.17.26.jpg (56.5 KB, 331 views)
Old 08-23-2016, 08:43 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by T and F fishing View Post
Anybody fish around these canals or is it part of a corporation? Trying to venture out a little and find some new areas
There is a good red fish spot on the channel. I'll try and find it and post a pick of where it is.
its 9.72 miles from the landing going south.

I think the humble canal is a good spot to fish as well down by fresh water city. I think the name is humble cut not sure

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 08:49 AM
Sailfish

The spot has some wood piling can't miss it if its still there anchor along the rocks south or north side

Old 08-23-2016, 08:49 AM
Sailfish

Old 08-23-2016, 09:19 AM
Flounder

Cash: 720

All the canals off of Freshwater bayou are "private" except schooner bayou. They are mostly on Vermillion Corp. If you try fishing Freshwater bayou, watch out for crew boat wakes. You can get in a bind if they don't see you.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:59 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

They aren't all private but most of them are pretty silted up. There hasn't been good water in there since the last drought. Millions of crab cages in some of them. Lots of catfish but not much else. The humble can be good but its a really popular spot and you can really only catch fish right under the bridge. If there are more than 3 or 4 boats there you are SOL. If the tide is up I really like fishing in Little Bay. When the prevailing winds are out of the east you can find some decent water on the bank that ends at Mud Point. But it is really shallow too and you kinda have to know where to roll if you're in a boat with any type of draft. What kind of fishing do you do? The bay has been wacked for longer than I can remember it ever being. That bayou is behind locks and the tidal movements are really erratic and hard to predict. Right now I assume the locks are open so It may be blowing out. I haven't fished that area all that much lately because its so dirty all the time. In 2009 it was stellar, I don't think I've caught more than 2 fish there since.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:51 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,326

All the locks are wide open. Schooner Bayou, Freshwater Bayou, and Leland Bowman. Lots of water hanging around down there.
Now I was always told that if you were east of the humble bridge you weren't on Verm Corp. is this not the case? That's just from old timers who grew up on the island

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 10:56 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcredeur View Post
All the locks are wide open. Schooner Bayou, Freshwater Bayou, and Leland Bowman. Lots of water hanging around down there.
Now I was always told that if you were east of the humble bridge you weren't on Verm Corp. is this not the case? That's just from old timers who grew up on the island

Yeah your cool there. Its always best to fish the humble from the up current side and they will let you through without a VCorp Pass if you ask them nicely. It gets private if you head north at the Y before the bridge too.

I think you know my cousin, they call him "Patrick", you guys work for the same organization.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:57 AM
Trophy Trout

Yup sure do different crew but we cross paths every once in awhile.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:00 AM
Tripletail

If you want to catch fish in the bay, take him he's a rabbits foot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDxJfnJMisE
Old 08-23-2016, 11:00 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marque View Post
They aren't all private but most of them are pretty silted up. There hasn't been good water in there since the last drought. Millions of crab cages in some of them. Lots of catfish but not much else. The humble can be good but its a really popular spot and you can really only catch fish right under the bridge. If there are more than 3 or 4 boats there you are SOL. If the tide is up I really like fishing in Little Bay. When the prevailing winds are out of the east you can find some decent water on the bank that ends at Mud Point. But it is really shallow too and you kinda have to know where to roll if you're in a boat with any type of draft. What kind of fishing do you do? The bay has been wacked for longer than I can remember it ever being. That bayou is behind locks and the tidal movements are really erratic and hard to predict. Right now I assume the locks are open so It may be blowing out. I haven't fished that area all that much lately because its so dirty all the time. In 2009 it was stellar, I don't think I've caught more than 2 fish there since.
Thanks for the info and I guess it's mostly fresh dirty water when you talk about the "good" water? I've fished around Little Bay and through some of the terraces but my boat only drafts maybe a foot and have done decent around that area certain times of the year. I fish the bay at least 2-3 times a month but on the East side towards the jaws on around point marone to bayou sale area. The fishing was getting really good and the water was beautiful could see at least 3 ft down with good sunglasses. I was sight casting redfish 2 weeks ago on that end.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:03 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Thanks for the info and I guess it's mostly fresh dirty water when you talk about the "good" water? I've fished around Little Bay and through some of the terraces but my boat only drafts maybe a foot and have done decent around that area certain times of the year. I fish the bay at least 2-3 times a month but on the East side towards the jaws on around point marone to bayou sale area. The fishing was getting really good and the water was beautiful could see at least 3 ft down with good sunglasses. I was sight casting redfish 2 weeks ago on that end.
The striper in your avatar threw me off.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:20 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
The striper in your avatar threw me off.
Yeah I caught that on my honeymoon back in April on Norris Lake in Tennessee. The lake was about an hour or so away from Pigeon Forge where we were staying. I had posted a couple Burns Point reports over the last month for the bay it's so much less fishing pressure on that end.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:22 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Yeah I caught that on my honeymoon back in April on Norris Lake in Tennessee. Was about an hour or so away from Pigeon Forge where we were staying.
Wow, I've only caught big ones like that in the ocean.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:27 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Wow, I've only caught big ones like that in the ocean.
I caught one that went 15 lbs and my wife caught the biggest at 38 inches and 18 pounds. I have a report on here under fresh water with all the trip pictures. It was definitely a blast and our guide was good too. My next striper trip will be off the East coast and hope for a big atlantic striper.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:32 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
I caught one that went 15 lbs and my wife caught the biggest at 38 inches and 18 pounds. I have a report on here under fresh water with all the trip pictures. It was definitely a blast and our guide was good too. My next striper trip will be off the East coast and hope for a big atlantic striper.
I've caught them in the Atlantic and Pac. I think the Atlantic ones are bigger. My biggest was caught in the East River in NYC, I don't know how long she was but it weighed 23lbs. Caught it trolling with a crank bait the size of a chicken.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:48 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
I've caught them in the Atlantic and Pac. I think the Atlantic ones are bigger. My biggest was caught in the East River in NYC, I don't know how long she was but it weighed 23lbs. Caught it trolling with a crank bait the size of a chicken.
Yeah the biggest I've heard of come out the Atlantic. I hear around the Chesapeake they have some big ones too. Man I bet that was a rush! We trolled live bait on planar boards and down rods about 20ft down for ours. We caught a few smallmouth on our trip too. Wife outfished me which was ok with me.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:16 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
If you want to catch fish in the bay, take him he's a rabbits foot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDxJfnJMisE

Nice!!

Now are you related to Mr Wade Mouton in Kaplan?

Old 08-23-2016, 12:17 PM
Tripletail

My dad
Old 08-23-2016, 12:24 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
My dad

Oh wow.... Small world. He did the closing on our house when we built...