Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 06-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Flounder

Cash: 755
Default Desperately in need of a Garmin data card

Hey guys,
I have a Garmin 192C gps that is beginning to show signs of dying and I need to copy my tracks and waypoints while unit still has some life left in it. I called Garmin and naturally they don't make that card any longer. I have spent hours looking on the web for either a Garmin card or an after market card that will work in my Garmin gps. Have had zero luck.

Now I am at the point of almost begging for someone to help me locate a data card that will fit my gps. Size doesn't matter since the data does not take up a lot of room on a card. If anyone has a card that will fit my gps I would really like to either buy or borrow it. Once I get the data onto my PC I won't need the card any longer.

Thanks so much for your help.

Charlie
Old 06-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,325

Download ExpertGPS

http://www.expertgps.com/

if you buy it it's around 75$, you can then copy all the data from your GPS SD card to that as a backup and view it on your home computer overlayed on maps.

if you download the free version you can then upload the file back to another SD card for use on a new GPS

I'm not personally familiar with the type of card that garmin used on your model... did they use a regular SD card or something else?

If it's not a regular sd card, see if you can get your hands on a card reader for that model.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:24 PM
Red Snapper

sorry the name of the software you want to use if you dont want to pay is easygps not expertgps.

http://www.easygps.com/gps-receivers...PSMAP-192C.asp

again this will make the backup for you, you just wont be able to view it on a map on your computer.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Red Snapper

this article may help as well, it shows how to make a backup using a usb to serial cable.
http://www.expertgps.com/usb-to-serial-adapter.asp
Old 06-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Red Snapper

seems like best possible method is to take that serial to usb cable... take your laptop to the boat.. plug in the laptop using the cable to your gps and then power up the gps... download to easygps software.

another nice feature of the easygps software is that it says it can convert your waypoint to any of the other types of files used in other gps's... so you can buy a different brand than garmin to replace if you like.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Red Snapper

also looks like amazon has a few of the garmin style data cards... but talk about a ripoff price...

Old 06-21-2013, 11:08 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

This is the cable I use to connect my 192c to my Blue Chart program. It should work for what you are trying to do. You may need to buy a charting software.
http://www.boatersland.com/gar010-10276-00.html
Old 06-21-2013, 11:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

Also there was a guy that worked at Magic Video in New Iberia. I believe his name was Andre that sold and installed GPS units. He should be able to get you what you need. 337-367-8287
Old 06-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Flounder

Ace,
Thanks for your reply. My card looks like this:

http://salestores.com/garmin288.html

My problem is that I can't find another card. I have a card in the gps that contains my maps but if I download my data it will overlay my maps so I am looking for another blank card. I have the card reader and software necessary to make the transfer so I just need a card.

Thanks again for your help.

Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceArcher View Post
Download ExpertGPS

http://www.expertgps.com/

if you buy it it's around 75$, you can then copy all the data from your GPS SD card to that as a backup and view it on your home computer overlayed on maps.

if you download the free version you can then upload the file back to another SD card for use on a new GPS

I'm not personally familiar with the type of card that garmin used on your model... did they use a regular SD card or something else?

If it's not a regular sd card, see if you can get your hands on a card reader for that model.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:41 AM
Flounder

Quote:
also looks like amazon has a few of the garmin style data cards... but talk about a ripoff price...

Amazon.com: Garmin Format Data Card, 512 MB, for Garmin GPS Units: Electronics
I had seen that but it is out of my price range.

Thanks anyway.

Charlie
Old 06-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Red Snapper

if you have a card reader, use it to download a copy of your waypoint to the EASYGPS, program (free version of expert gps) then you have a backup of your waypoints without overlaying data on your current program.

I think that's what your trying to do right?
Old 06-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Flounder

Quote:
if you have a card reader, use it to download a copy of your waypoint to the EASYGPS, program (free version of expert gps) then you have a backup of your waypoints without overlaying data on your current program.

I think that's what your trying to do right?
Ace, this is what I am trying to do. My plan is to download my data, from my gps, to a blank card. Place the card in my card reader and upload the data to my PC. My problem is that I don't have a card.

Thanks for your help.

Charlie
Old 06-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Red Snapper

alright.. i roger what your saying now... you are currently using your gps units internal memory and want to copy that....

I think your only recourse if you cant find a card is to get a serial to usb cable and make a direct copy of the internal memory file.

in any case hope someone steps in with a card you can just borrow for a bit. you would think there are loads of them laying around.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Flounder

Quote:
alright.. i roger what your saying now... you are currently using your gps units internal memory and want to copy that....

I think your only recourse if you cant find a card is to get a serial to usb cable and make a direct copy of the internal memory file.

in any case hope someone steps in with a card you can just borrow for a bit. you would think there are loads of them laying around.
Ace,
I agree. The search continues.

Thanks again for your help.

Charlie