SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,959
Default Wounded Warriors Project

I'm hoping some of you might be willing to help with this project. My husband and I decided to give it a go and I've been talking with Sgt. Winters. He's going to introduce us to a young man from Plaquemine who was injured by an IED last year when he was 19 and is a double amputee. We're going to get him fishing again and just get him outdoors. It's just a small way to give back to the men and women who give so much for us. Please consider it:

Wounded Warrior Project

Ladies and gentlemen of South Louisiana, I am posting this to make you aware of a great charity that maybe most of you have heard of but never knew how to get involved. It's the Wounded Warrior Project (WWP), a non-profit organization that helps support our wounded service members and families of Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom. Let me tell you a little about myself, I am Sgt. Winters, Justin. I am an active duty United States Marine and a member of WWP. I am originally from Plaquemine Louisiana down in Iberville Parish. Also currently deployed again to Afghanistan.
Most people think you have to make monetary donations to charites. This is false with WWP. There are many ways to contribute to the cause. Something just as simple as taking a Veteran fishing! Now I grew up in south Louisiana and I have expirenced the Sportsmans Paradise in full force. But just getting to know some of these young veterans and hearing their stories may even brighten up your lives. If you are intersted in participating just send me an email and I will do whatever I can to make this happen. My email is: youngcountry189@yahoo.com Semper Fi
Old 03-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Hmmm.....wonder if some of us can bring a few guys out during the June Grand Isle trip???
Old 03-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Trophy Trout

That would really be great. I told Sgt Winters about this site and that the people on here were really good about helping others when needed.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:04 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Count me in. My kids will be happy to sit out a day or two so I can take some warriors fishing. I've been considering starting a program like this in Colorado, and maybe the experience fishing with some servicemen in Louisiana will be the encouragement I need to really do this!
Old 03-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Trophy Trout

So glad to hear that!!! Just e-mail Sgt. Winters and he'll hook you up with someone. Such a small thing to do for someone else. And the reward is so great.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,087

All I have is a 16 ft Jon boat, but I think this is the best thread ever put on SC. I do have a goose blind that would be very easy for a Wounded Warrior to make a hunt in. Anything we can do for these American Hero's I am all for it.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:31 AM
Blue Marlin

Email sent
Old 03-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Trophy Trout

Thanks guys. I knew the people on this site would come through to help. Keep us up-to-date.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:47 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Hmmm.....wonder if some of us can bring a few guys out during the June Grand Isle trip???

Let me know what ya come up with Tim.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:10 AM
Blue Marlin

He emailed back already! Justin is in Afghanistan, but will put me in contact with a few fellas. I think they're in wheelchairs, so ill need some help Corey. I should have enough floor space in the boat for 2 chairs, so this should work out well!!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
He emailed back already! Justin is in Afghanistan, but will put me in contact with a few fellas. I think they're in wheelchairs, so ill need some help Corey. I should have enough floor space in the boat for 2 chairs, so this should work out well!!
Ya know I'm up for it!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Trophy Trout

Sounds like some guys who really deserve it are going fishing!! Good to hear.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Wetaline,

My name is Dan Redwood and I am the attorney at Fort Polk, Louisiana that provides legal advice to Wounded Warriors that find themselves in the Medical Evaluation Board process. I would be happy to help however I can. I have gotten to know many of these Soldiers very well and the sacrifices they have made and the stories they can tell are unbelievable. Count me in. You might contach ckinchen to see if he might entertain a Salty Cajun, Wounded Warrior fishing day and BBQ.

Dan
Old 03-30-2012, 09:38 PM
Trophy Trout

Thanks, Dan!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just trying to get the word out and get volunteers now. Hadn't thought of a BBQ os something along those lines, but that would be a good way to introduce some vets to some volunteers. We'll have to see about it.

Nancy
Old 04-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Trophy Trout

Still looking for more volunteers. Whatever way you can help will mean a lot. Bank fishing is an idea if you know of a place. Just send Sgt. Winters an e-mail.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

I will take ANY one who has fought for our country n made sacrifices . You let me know n I'll have the boat ready, I will also provide lodging if needed . Email me or pm me if I can be of any help . Mtelich3@yahoo.com
Old 04-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,320

I will do it, but will need some help depending on who is in the boat with me.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
I will do it, but will need some help depending on who is in the boat with me.
You know I'm in if I'm off when you put it together.

+1
Old 04-01-2012, 01:07 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
Wetaline,

My name is Dan Redwood and I am the attorney at Fort Polk, Louisiana that provides legal advice to Wounded Warriors that find themselves in the Medical Evaluation Board process. I would be happy to help however I can. I have gotten to know many of these Soldiers very well and the sacrifices they have made and the stories they can tell are unbelievable. Count me in. You might contach ckinchen to see if he might entertain a Salty Cajun, Wounded Warrior fishing day and BBQ.

Dan

I like this idea a lot! Have a fishing/cooking day for a good size group of em.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Trophy Trout

I just logged back in not expecting to see any more posts on this thread.
Wow!! Thanks so much to all of you who are offering to give a bit of your time. Like I told Sgt. Winters, the disability is not a problem for us. If he/she wants to fish, then they're going fishing. We'll find a way to make it happen.