SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:16 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734
Default Fishing Guides Responsibility

Been out with a good number of guides all around the country, fresh and salt, some were good some were not.

What do you think a guides responsibility is?
Old 10-18-2016, 09:54 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,152

Personally I dont care for a guide to treat me like a child and take my fish off etc.. I fish with guides when I fish big lake bc I don't know it well, don't feel like hauling a boat 3.5 hours each way. If it's a different method of fishing than I am used to, show me the new method and leave me alone.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:16 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 409

The last one I took spent more time fishing than helping my wife so I spent more time helping my wife i could have been fishing but I was too busy helping my wife.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:04 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

More than anything, I am paying a guide to learn from him and make me a better fisherman.

I want him to talk, answer my questions, and teach me some things. I'm not interested in filling the box quickly and getting back to the dock.

I would hope he'd be willing to put me on some sheepies and some flatties and tell me why he picked the spots he picked. I want to learn new techniques I can share with my kids and help catch fish at different times of year, not just the day of the trip.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:29 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
More than anything, I am paying a guide to learn from him and make me a better fisherman.

I want him to talk, answer my questions, and teach me some things. I'm not interested in filling the box quickly and getting back to the dock.

I would hope he'd be willing to put me on some sheepies and some flatties and tell me why he picked the spots he picked. I want to learn new techniques I can share with my kids and help catch fish at different times of year, not just the day of the trip.
If everyone thought like this I bet guiding would actually be enjoyable..
Old 10-18-2016, 04:12 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Helping the person who needs the help the most. But the customer has responsibility to let him know this and not just assume the guide will pick up on it.

A short explanation to everybody who cares to listen when pulling up on a spot regarding what we're to be doing is very helpful.

Fully explaining the technique to be used is obviously very important. But I do understand how frustrating it must be to the guide is the person who needs help the most is playing on their phone or simply not listening to the instruction that's offered.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:54 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 583

I think communication is key. Let the guide know what you are looking for before you book. If the guide agrees to provide what you are looking for, then the guide should deliver on that.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:57 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:

I think you nailed it MathGeek. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of guides started out with that mentality, then were "ruined" by sports who only fish once or twice a year and want to catch as many fish as possible and couldn't be bothered by learning the how and why. I'd be curious to hear from the guides on this.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

Quote:

Hmmm...here I go again, the odd man out I suppose. I have never hired, or even been with a guide, so maybe I'm just a bit naive on the subject. I didn't think it was a guide's duty to teach paying customers the tricks of the trade...or how, when or why a certain spot. Things that help him make his living. After all...wouldn't that be biting off the hand that feeds him?
Old 10-18-2016, 05:28 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

So is getting you on fish a first priority ?

What if that doesn't happen ?
Old 10-18-2016, 06:22 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,039

Safety of the passengers, first and foremost.

Had a guide in Perdido Bay try to run down a channel marker / piling in the dark. We ended up ripping up the side of the boat pretty good. Had I not yelled to turn I might not be here today.

Had a good trip either way. 😀

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2016, 07:36 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty f View Post
So is getting you on fish a first priority ?

What if that doesn't happen ?
We're talking about Big Lake, not some lousy NC reservoir.

If a guide can't put you on fish in Big Lake 99 days out of 100, he sucks.
Old 10-18-2016, 07:40 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampman46 View Post
Hmmm...here I go again, the odd man out I suppose. I have never hired, or even been with a guide, so maybe I'm just a bit naive on the subject. I didn't think it was a guide's duty to teach paying customers the tricks of the trade...or how, when or why a certain spot. Things that help him make his living. After all...wouldn't that be biting off the hand that feeds him?
I like to explain what I want up front, and if the guide is unwilling to deliver, I hope he is honest enough to pass.

I doubt I'd ever remember enough to cut into his business, and I tend to be more interested in learning about a variety of species than just specks or specks and slot reds.

Improving my skills catching flatties, sheepies, and yes, even a few more specks is not going to break anyone's business. But odds are good, I'll remember the guy and recommend him to friends.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:33 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 583

Quote:
That's why I feel like open communication is the key. If the client asks for that and the guide isn't willing, then the client can look elsewhere. I would think a charter guide would want to know what the clients expectations are so that he can do his level best to meet them.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:47 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

1 ) safety 2) have fun. So just go have a good time and everything else will fall in place
Old 10-18-2016, 08:54 PM
Redfish

Cash: 623

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab View Post
That's why I feel like open communication is the key. If the client asks for that and the guide isn't willing, then the client can look elsewhere. I would think a charter guide would want to know what the clients expectations are so that he can do his level best to meet them.
Agreed.

It's probably a good idea for both parties to clearly know expectations and goals for the day.

A good guide, if he wants to stay a guide, is concerned about satisfying his customers. Finding out what they want is a big part of that.
Old 10-18-2016, 09:29 PM
Tripletail

I can't think of any other occupation that provides (sells) a service to customers...at the same time, is expected to show those customers the hows, whens, whys and wheres of that service he's providing. Strange.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:05 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,460

The odd man out can't figure out why others have these expectations. Drop a few hundred on a guide that only pilots a boat. Doesn't give pointers and is in a hurry to get back to the dock. Just an FYI most people that book trips are looking for more than a quick limit. Even the best guide can't teach years of experience and technique in a trip or two.

Every guide worth his salt looks at clients as a base for repeat business and referrals. (Like it or not it's a sales job). I don't think many customers are trying to steal the trade from the guide they are wanting to maximize the experience.

Guide should also show them the nature and the beauty that's is around them during the trip. A little history about the area never hurts and in our particular area should always talk about coastal erosion.

And of course most importantly SAFETY FIRST.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:57 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I can't think of any other occupation that provides (sells) a service to customers...at the same time, is expected to show those customers the hows, whens, whys and wheres of that service he's providing. Strange.
I dunno. When I hired consulting foresters, I walked around with them, asked lots of questions, and wanted to learn how they did what they did. Likewise when I hired an arborist, and an appraiser.

Since I am a consulting scientist, I often get the same request and offer the same service to my clients: I teach them how to do the same thing I am doing. Sure, there are times when they just want me to find the answer and put it in a report. But there are times when they want to roll up their sleeves and work with me in the lab every step of the way and see and learn what I am doing. I just estimate how much this may slow things down and communicate that. I'm not worried about future business, because they will never be as good as I am. But I am always eager to teach them what they are willing to learn, because an informed client is a better client.

Several years ago, we consulted on a historic legal case in ballistics. This was the first case in history where the law enforcement agency was penalized by the federal court for spoliation of evidence. But when we did our ballistic testing for the case (long before the penalty and multi-million dollar settlement), the attorneys and the plaintiff were right there in the lab with us discussing the design and execution of every test, taking pictures, trying to understand the implications of the results for trial, etc. It was fortuitous for the clients that the law enforcement agency destroyed the evidence and subsequently settled, because the forensic case was not as strong as the clients were hoping it would be. But knowing that first hand may be why they accepted the settlement rather than pressing for trial.

Now I don't tend to make the same request for car and boat repairs, because I'm not really trying to learn those skills. But I do tend to on home repairs and things I am trying to improve on. And especially the doctor. I don't just want the doctor to fix it, I want to know all the whats, wheres, whys, and hows of the diagnosis, medication, and improvement plan.

I also see guiding as being the fishing pro analogous to being a tennis pro or a golf pro.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:54 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricecb View Post
The odd man out can't figure out why others have these expectations. Drop a few hundred on a guide that only pilots a boat. Doesn't give pointers and is in a hurry to get back to the dock. Just an FYI most people that book trips are looking for more than a quick limit. Even the best guide can't teach years of experience and technique in a trip or two.

Every guide worth his salt looks at clients as a base for repeat business and referrals. (Like it or not it's a sales job). I don't think many customers are trying to steal the trade from the guide they are wanting to maximize the experience.

Guide should also show them the nature and the beauty that's is around them during the trip. A little history about the area never hurts and in our particular area should always talk about coastal erosion.

And of course most importantly SAFETY FIRST.
Easy cheezy...not looking for an argument here, but you only see things from one direction. It stands to reason, the more a person learns from the guide...the less he needs a guide. No? Just seems counter productive from a guide's standpoint. Those that are good at fishing, and know the "spots", aren't hiring guides. Bottom line is...if a guide puts me on the fish that I hired him for, he's done his job IMO.