SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-18-2016, 10:59 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 558
Default Fishing Etiquette

Does anyone else have problems with Aholes running wide open within casting distance of your boat...and then they have the nerve to wave? The ship channel is about a half mile wide I'd guess but evidently some folks think it's fine to run within 40 yards of boats fishing along the banks. So if you were one of them and were wondering why the guy in a blue shirt was flipping you off while slinging topwaters at you...well now you know. If I can hit your boat with a lure you are too damn close! Have some DAMN COURTESY or get off the water.
This **** gets worse every year on big lake...don't even get me started on the bird fisherman who will run right into the school you're fishing like it's no problem.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:16 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

I noticed that on my first few trips to Big Lake. Friend told me thats how the roll there.

Interested to see the veteran guys comment.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:20 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

its the same at the point. You'll be fishing a rig and a boat will come ride about 2 cast away from you just watching to see if you're catching. Sometimes we wont be catching **** but then act like we have one and get the net out on the opposite side of the boat. Act like we have a fish, and when they stop by us, we just pick up and leave. Its not uncommon at all to see people just riding from boat to boat to see who's catching, then they stop to fish... It's plain ridiculous that Mr. $80-100k boat owner can't find his own damn fish.

I laid my cork over someone's neck a few weeks ago, probably someone on here and I don't really care if they are, but when you decide to anchor where someone is casting, you should expect a bait to land in your boat somewhere, just be happy it wasn't my spook.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:36 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 2,156

Say ur at the Cove at the Point. There are easily 100+ boats. About 10-20% of them are trolling around everyone following the action. That sucks when they come skimming by you, keeping everything and everyone P O'd.
I try my best these days to avoid da crowds but sometimes you've got to mingle. Couple yrs ago I recall a houseboat crowding someone, and they were waving their hands and screaming to "back off" to the houseboat. What did the houseboat "skipper" do, he threw out his anchor and it splashed within 2' of the other boat.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:47 AM
Redfish

Cash: 758

This not only happens in salt water, but also in the Basin. Several years ago, was bass fishing in Crew Boat and another boat stopped not more than 10 yards in front of us. I picked up and passed very close to him, not once, not twice, not three times, but four times, almost washing him on the bank.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrchip1 View Post
Say ur at the Cove at the Point. There are easily 100+ boats. About 10-20% of them are trolling around everyone following the action. That sucks when they come skimming by you, keeping everything and everyone P O'd.
I try my best these days to avoid da crowds but sometimes you've got to mingle. Couple yrs ago I recall a houseboat crowding someone, and they were waving their hands and screaming to "back off" to the houseboat. What did the houseboat "skipper" do, he threw out his anchor and it splashed within 2' of the other boat.

I don't agree with that.. If the only way you can catch a fish is to get right next to other boats, then its time to go and search for other fish. If you can't find any then that's your problem not the guy who got to the fish first.

not aiming that at you, just saying "you" as in the boat who can't catch a fish unless they have to get on top of another boat.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:03 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

That is why I don't fish the Calcasieu River on the weekends anymore. Once had 2 30 ft cigarette boats pass less than 20 yards from me while racing way up past White Oak.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:11 PM
Redfish

Cash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by saute86 View Post
That is why I don't fish the Calcasieu River on the weekends anymore. Once had 2 30 ft cigarette boats pass less than 20 yards from me while racing way up past White Oak.
Same here, I live within a mile of the river and won't even be on it on the weekends. 10X worse now that they have the new launch in Moss Bluff. I knew it would be like this which is why I was against the new launch.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:11 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,486

My $0.02::
When I was brand new to BL I spent a lot of time going "man that guy ran right by me!" then one day I thought "well I'm in the middle of the ship channel, so I guess that's why."
Granted, some folks just don't care at all, but I've had to learn to just deal with boats running close when I'm fishing a high traffic area, which is a lot lately since they're often deeper.
If possible, avoid escalating the situation and just go on about your business.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:12 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

It's rare that boats come close to us, but we fish mostly in and near the passes.

But since the prime spots tend to be near the holes at the end of jetties and near the cuts, we never mind or complain when other boats fish close.

We only ask that if we hook up with a big red that they pull their lines up upon request (if the fish is headed their way) so as not to get all tangled. And of course, we do the same for them.

We're even willing to give them the rest of our crabs once we limit out.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:21 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,686

Out OF Vbay I try to stay away from platorms and on shell pads that aren't marked. I normally try out at least 2-3 new to me pads every time I go in hopes one will produce so will have some new areas to fish. Some have silted over, some just don't hold fish for some reason.

A year or two ago we were catching good and bite slowed down a bit so decided to go check some of the new spots I had pulled up that past week. Showed up at one and it must have been a known spot as there were two boats near the location. We decided to sit back and watch. Noticed they were only catching occasional white trout and also noticed neither boat were on the right location. Hollered at the closer boat and asked if they minded if we setup behind them about 60 yards.
We ended up using the same technique we were using at our previous spot and putting some nice trout in the boat. The secret that day was to hold rod high and run the bait almost on the surface. Let the other boat know and they immediately started catching as well. Ended up being good for both of us. So not always bad to fish near other boats, just be courteous and respectful.

At same time I don't know how many times but see us out in middle of no where and will slow down, circles us once then off to the platforms. We just hold our rods down or pretend like we checking ice chests.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:58 PM
Ling

Cash: 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverenuf View Post
Same here, I live within a mile of the river and won't even be on it on the weekends. 10X worse now that they have the new launch in Moss Bluff. I knew it would be like this which is why I was against the new launch.
This is why I stay in the bays and cuts... rarely fish main river after 9am
Old 07-18-2016, 04:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

You guy's got it easy to the west. I've had a guy with a 25 foot trawl and on another occasion one with a 40 foot net drag 50-75 yards away while I was on a school. I know the size of their nets because I know both of them personally . Oh they got their payback . And yes we got the pot lickers in the southeast too. There's even those wait for you by the launch to follow. Had one guy pull up 30 or so FEET from me while I was on a school of trout and with his motor running in neutral gets on his phone...I'm like WTH....That's why I do not carry a gun on my boat....
Old 07-18-2016, 07:56 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Same post every year when the fish are only in a few "known" spots!! Either don't fish them spots or just get the helllllll over it it happens every year..
If your in a well traveled cut expect people going to find fish are going to come by you!!
We have all been cut off and have all cut someone off. It just happens sometimes, sure some people are just asssss about it!! But it's never going to change so why *****hhh???
Old 07-18-2016, 08:14 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Same post every year when the fish are only in a few "known" spots!! Either don't fish them spots or just get the helllllll over it it happens every year..
If your in a well traveled cut expect people going to find fish are going to come by you!!
We have all been cut off and have all cut someone off. It just happens sometimes, sure some people are just asssss about it!! But it's never going to change so why *****hhh???
Sorry if they offended you.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:31 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
The fish are not only in "known" spots...that is if you know how to fish. Salinity is up and the bait is everywhere from the jetties to Prien. My main gripe is being courteous to other boaters. Example...you've got multiple boats fishing the west side of the channel along the rocks between Spicer's and Joe's Cove. How hard is it to not pass within 40 yards of them when you could run on the other side, or the middle? I see this crap constantly so I figured I'd be the next guy to complain on the site...because I know there are plenty of lurking weekend warriors who rely on sites like this to find out where to fish. I'm not talking about fishing cuts into West Cove where one would expect boat traffic coming through.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

as mentioned, if its in a high traffic area, what can you do but deal with it, but ....

if its like has happened to me and you have a few spots you like and jerkwads always want to plow up mud and oysters to pass between you and the 100 yards of water between you and the bank when there is the whole frickin lake and a 1/4 mile wide canal they can pass to get where they are going "without" disrupting your spot, well I "cured" a few of these weekend warriors this way.

I went by a construction site and collected all the leftover cut off 2x4's they were throwing out averaging about 2ft long then I bought 50ft of cheap 1/4" rope, made two 10lbs cement anchors with small buckets then I tied the rope to make a simple wooden chain barrier and set it out along my spot and watched the fun as several messed their pants trying to avoid it and a few had it wrapped up in their props but I simply repaired any broken knots after they left. they don't seam to want to pass within 100 yards distance of land or me anymore because they learned there are "objects" there.

its amazing how they didn't seam to care about tearing up lower units plowing mud and oysters to see what I was catching but running into the "floating barrier" taught them to pass elsewhere and since its set with cement anchors, its not connected to me or my boat so no confrontation, just lots of fun and laughs as they get what they deserve. if I ever stop fishing that spot for good then I will simply move the barrier or pick it up but it usually last a year or so.

I never have trouble during the week, its just the weekend warriors that lack any morals or common sense and decency
Old 07-18-2016, 09:04 PM
Redfish

Cash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
as mentioned, if its in a high traffic area, what can you do but deal with it, but ....

if its like has happened to me and you have a few spots you like and jerkwads always want to plow up mud and oysters to pass between you and the 100 yards of water between you and the bank when there is the whole frickin lake and a 1/4 mile wide canal they can pass to get where they are going "without" disrupting your spot, well I "cured" a few of these weekend warriors this way.

I went by a construction site and collected all the leftover cut off 2x4's they were throwing out averaging about 2ft long then I bought 50ft of cheap 1/4" rope, made two 10lbs cement anchors with small buckets then I tied the rope to make a simple wooden chain barrier and set it out along my spot and watched the fun as several messed their pants trying to avoid it and a few had it wrapped up in their props but I simply repaired any broken knots after they left. they don't seam to want to pass within 100 yards distance of land or me anymore because they learned there are "objects" there.

its amazing how they didn't seam to care about tearing up lower units plowing mud and oysters to see what I was catching but running into the "floating barrier" taught them to pass elsewhere and since its set with cement anchors, its not connected to me or my boat so no confrontation, just lots of fun and laughs as they get what they deserve. if I ever stop fishing that spot for good then I will simply move the barrier or pick it up but it usually last a year or so.

I never have trouble during the week, its just the weekend warriors that lack any morals or common sense and decency
I hope you made this story up. A fantasy maybe?
Old 07-18-2016, 09:06 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post

Sounds illegal to me. I can understand the frustration of people running too close, but damn man. Purposely putting out hazards to ruin people's machines? That's all kinds of ****ed up.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:09 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

I was born and raised on the la.tx.coast on boats!! Have not had my boat in the water all year tho. But every year about this time this same crap comes up for the past 5-6 year's.. it's nothing new it has always happened and always will happen. So why biitchh about it?? Some people are just dumb and there's nothing you can do about it!!