SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:13 PM
Flounder

Cash: 645
Default Cruisin

I have an Evinrude 225 2-stroke, runs like a dream and i love this engine. i wanna try my best to not push the outboard too hard, i cruise between 3700-4000 rmps. I wanna keep the motor running for as long as i can, is this a good rmp range?
Old 06-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 685

i also have an evinrude 2 stroke...175 though...i cruise at about that range but normally keep her below 3500 rpms.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:26 PM
Flounder

Default cruisin

what year model do you have? i have an 00' and when i first got it i had a few problems but i worked them out and now it runs better than my car. any problems with yours im curious to see what other evinrude owners have to say.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Tripletail

if you speaking of the ficht's yea i got one too.. 2001 model..from what i hear the 175's and 225's were most problematic. Called the dealer and found out that my motor has warranty work done to it, and it's a post OMC motor. so the 2 stroke is strong, quiet, starts first try every time, no smoke, gots plenty of power for my boat, sips on gas and oil...

always use xd-50 oil, index your plugs, makes sure your cooling line to the EMM never gets clogged..*this is what causes almost all emm failures and im not sure if you have this problem, but some years had bad fuel line fittings or something, this is what caused many ficht explosions..lol..if you havent read up on the motor
Old 06-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Flounder

Default crusin

yeah, i have had a few problems...i did get that line clogged once and my emm did overheat. death toll of about 1500$ is the pisser where the used emm water goes through after the cycle?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Flounder

xd-50? i usually use tc-w3 oil, is there a differnce?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:42 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorse View Post
yeah, i have had a few problems...i did get that line clogged once and my emm did overheat. death toll of about 1500$ is the pisser where the used emm water goes through after the cycle?

believe so. sucks that even the littlest sand or mud can bork our engines.just make sure that line doesnt clogged and you're ok. xd-50 is evinrude semi synthetic blend. its made especially for the ficht's and etecs..well etecs would be xd100(fully synthetic).i've heard of people using regular tcw3 hows it going so far? i was just told these tips for for upkeep
Old 06-19-2011, 06:03 AM
Flounder

Default crusin

so the xd-50 is made by brp? i check the pisser everytime i start the engine and the tc-w3 oil works fine on the motor, it was recommended to me by my mechanic and i never have over heating or gunk build up issues. what i need to start doing is adding sta-bil ethenol treatment to the gas to prevent corrosion. i change the spark plugs every 100 hours or so, for some reason the ficht's like to eat up spark plugs but overall its a good engine, very powerful engine.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:35 AM
Tripletail

Do a search and you'll find that much negative press is from non owners...my cousins. Boyfriend down the road had a ficht ....there's many happy ficht owners out there...resale is another thing
Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorse View Post
what i need to start doing is adding sta-bil ethenol treatment to the gas to prevent corrosion..
http://mystarbrite.com/startron/