SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 12-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Still learning

Was a nice day so I decided to put the boat in and explore the back yard. I was pleased to find a lot of clear water. The water temps were from 54.2 to 60 degrees. The tide was low and incoming all day. I went into an area I bring customers to fish and it produces fish but I never went further in because I did not know how shallow it got up inside.

Today was my day to learn more about where I can and can not go.

As I was going through these waters I kept spooking redfish and sheepshead. If they did not run before I had a chance to present some bait When I tossed something at them they would see me and spook. It was ok because I was not looking to fill the box.

I found some fish playing along the bank here but could not find a way to get in there with the water as low as it was. The fish were to the left and center of the above picture.

After plying that area I moved into some areas that held beautiful camps prior to Katrina

These places are always good for a red or two. Today was a rat red day but not many for some reason. I was not throwing gold so that may have been part of the problem. I moved up on the flats in Buras hoping the trout would be feeding but nothing happening there. Really not looking hard just enjoying the day alone on the water.

While checking out this place I look around and across the canal there is something going on at another point next to the remains of another camp.

I work my way across the channel with the trolling motor. I tie on a rattle trap and toss it in the place I saw the movement. Reel drag starts working. Although my customers have caught many this is my very first redfish on a rattle trap.

A nice 26 1/2 incher but just at 5 pounds. He looked fatter. That was the only one I put in the box. On the way in I made a couple of other stops just to see how clear the water was and take a few more casts. On my last stop I saw 3 sheepshead spook away as I approached. I was using the trolling motor so they did not go too far.

Prior to leaving the area and calling it a day I decided to invite them for dinner. They were all in the 20 inch class. You can see why I got stuck right through the boot last week. Those spikes are solid and sharp.

I cleaned the fish and gave the 6 sheepshead fillets to Dan to feed his family and the redfish fillets went to Clay and his wife.

Another relaxing day on the water.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Old 12-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

Great report Capt. Thank you
Old 12-15-2013, 10:33 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Great report and some beautiful water.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:26 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Great report and some beautiful water.
thanks
Old 12-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Your reports are so detailed and illustrated with all the pics that it is actually book worthy. Great stuff, Keep em coming!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726

I enjoy sharing my experiences with others. The pictures are a plus. Many who read them are not knowledgeable of what we have here and how it can be enjoyed. I not only post here but basically cover most of the country. Thanks for the comments of encouragement guys.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

Thanks for the report Capt.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
Your reports are so detailed and illustrated with all the pics that it is actually book worthy. Great stuff, Keep em coming!

X2. I hate to comment on Capt Hoop's posts so he doesn't think I'm a stalker! LOL. I think Capt Hoop's posts are the best on the site and are the only guide reports I open. This man is living the dream. I hope one day I can retire and spend the time on the water he does.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:18 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,322

As always, outstanding report Capt!!!!!