SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 08-20-2014, 06:23 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

I've made plenty GTR ' S wish they had FPR more than a few times.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:33 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2014, 06:34 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Braquet View Post
Yikes, yeah I definitely see the purpose of the full power reverse. I just see me using the instant reverse everytime I put the boat in the water and I'm not sure I'd say the same about the PD reverse. The 2 reverses are built for 2 different things obviously. Do you PD guys use the reverse when pulling up to boat launches or blinds much like you'd use an outboards reverse to slow you down or are y'all just coming in slow and doing the good ole bump stop? To me the PD reverse is there strictly for getting unstuck which don't get me wrong is very valuable at times.
You do operate it a little differently than an outboard. You learn to shut it down a little early and not coast as much into a blind or dock. I just make sure I stop first and then I'll bump the momentary button to ease in. No big deal. I had the same exact concerns as you before I got my PD, but it was a quick adjustment.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:36 AM
Tripletail

IMO if u buying new with whichever brand of mudmotor I'd get at least a stage 1 installed right from the jump
Old 08-20-2014, 08:48 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackhead62 View Post
IMO if u buying new with whichever brand of mudmotor I'd get at least a stage 1 installed right from the jump
Does anyone around lake Charles do the stage 1's?
Old 08-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Red Snapper

not that I know of...gatortail and prodrive do....ive been thinking of starting to do them on the side I just dont have the time to handle anymore work than I already do on days off

Old 08-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Tripletail

I brought mine to Calen in Franklin he is worth the drive
Old 08-20-2014, 08:59 AM
Red Snapper

Forgot about Calen....he does real good motor work.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:02 AM
Tripletail

Yea there is a guy in Louraville that just started up also he does prop work and is getting into the engine hop ups. I just got my mikuni carb from him last week. The name of his shop is LA Prop and Service.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldsc View Post
not that I know of...gatortail and prodrive do....ive been thinking of starting to do them on the side I just dont have the time to handle anymore work than I already do on days off

About how much does a stage 1 cost on a 27PD and what kind of mods are done to the motor?
Old 08-20-2014, 09:07 AM
Red Snapper

its head work and a carb or head work and a cam...different people call their stage 1's different ways...I did heads and a cam first then did my carb...you looking around the 2000$ area depending on who does it

Old 08-20-2014, 09:07 AM
Tripletail

Mine cost $2300 depends who does the work it varies what is done. Mine consisted of porting and polishing the heads, high proformance cam, one peice stainless valves, a marshmallow exhaust, jetting of the factory carb, and a K &N filter.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

If you look at the PD web site they have prices for replacing Heads etc. That's who I'm most likely going to go to.

As far as the reverse I was worried about it too before I bought this one. I was going to get the automatic reverse on mine but due to the design it cancels out the ability to use the motor in any direction like you can with the manual rachet reverse due to the 360 rotation. The automatic only turns 180 so you can only go sideways the direction it turns on. I used to have a Gator Tail with reverse and it was absolutely nothing like this PD I currently have. Not even in the same ball park.

I will say the Gator Tail was a little faster and better in grass and lilly's going forward slowly than the PD which seems to catch more stuff going slow. On a outboard or Gator Tail you just throw the motor in reverse to clear your prop you can't do that with a PD and it doesen't lift high enough out of the water to clear either. You have to throw it in reverse and clear a hole then jump on plane when it gets real thick. If your running in an area that has lots of stumps and logs the PD is much safer to me because the prop is always protected by the skeg. I've caught big branches and logs in the prop of my Gator Tail and almost broke my arm before.

Also while the Gator Tail was a little faster it also made me work more when running than this PD does. The PD is as easy to drive as a tiller outboard when it's trimmed right.

They all have pluses and minuses. To me the Prodrive is the way to go.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:39 AM
Tripletail

X2 very well put
Old 08-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

X2 for Calen in Franklin. He did a stage 2 on mine. Didnt gain but about 4 mph. ,but I can load it down and get almost the same mph; and the extra torque is awesome!!!!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:53 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

demo rides are free and opinions are too. lol

set up a day and go drive whichever brands of mudmotor you want, and then decide what works best for you.

good luck on whatever u choose.

just my .02, but i bought a pin puller and thought it was garbage.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:08 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
If you look at the PD web site they have prices for replacing Heads etc. That's who I'm most likely going to go to.

As far as the reverse I was worried about it too before I bought this one. I was going to get the automatic reverse on mine but due to the design it cancels out the ability to use the motor in any direction like you can with the manual rachet reverse due to the 360 rotation. The automatic only turns 180 so you can only go sideways the direction it turns on. I used to have a Gator Tail with reverse and it was absolutely nothing like this PD I currently have. Not even in the same ball park.

I will say the Gator Tail was a little faster and better in grass and lilly's going forward slowly than the PD which seems to catch more stuff going slow. On a outboard or Gator Tail you just throw the motor in reverse to clear your prop you can't do that with a PD and it doesen't lift high enough out of the water to clear either. You have to throw it in reverse and clear a hole then jump on plane when it gets real thick. If your running in an area that has lots of stumps and logs the PD is much safer to me because the prop is always protected by the skeg. I've caught big branches and logs in the prop of my Gator Tail and almost broke my arm before.

Also while the Gator Tail was a little faster it also made me work more when running than this PD does. The PD is as easy to drive as a tiller outboard when it's trimmed right.

They all have pluses and minuses. To me the Prodrive is the way to go.

I've been thinking about the 180* comment you made about the hydraulic reverse on a PD. I have the manual reverse and am not familiar with the hydraulic ones. Are you saying that with the hydro one you cannot back straight up? If it rotates the prop 180*, doesn't that put you in position to back straight?
Old 08-23-2014, 06:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 834

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
I've been thinking about the 180* comment you made about the hydraulic reverse on a PD. I have the manual reverse and am not familiar with the hydraulic ones. Are you saying that with the hydro one you cannot back straight up? If it rotates the prop 180*, doesn't that put you in position to back straight?

On the manual the prop rotates clockwise all the way around. In the hydraulic the prop rotates clockwise 180* then counterclockwise back to forward.

I am not sure you should use engage the prop in any position between reverse and forward to go sideways.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:15 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
With manual it goes in a full circle. With the Hyd reverse it goes either forward or backwards. I like the manual because I can go full power in any direction I want. This helps me alot when stuck in mud.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:32 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Picked up the 35 GTR on Friday, mounted it Saturday night and ran it yesterday. With my dad and I, and ice chest and 6 gallons of gas on my Southfork 16x42 tunnel we held 27 mph in the nasty stuff. Going from a Mud Buddy to the GTR was a night and day difference. Needless to say I was very impressed. I was especially impressed with the holeshot from a standstill sitting in mud. I also had a chance to try out the reverse in the same mud that I'll encounter while hunting and had zero problems with lack of power. Next weekend will be the test when we start setting gator lines. I am looking at new boats now however. With the lead time on a Gator Trax boats does anyone recommend another boat? I'm curious to hear from others how they run on the flat bottom Southforks that Jerry's is selling them on. I would be looking at a 17x48-52.