SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926
Default ears!!

I can here better out my right ear!! But my left ear ( that I can here good with) don't work to good??

Anyone else's have this problem??
Old 10-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104

After working the flight deck I have noticed some hearing loss in my left ear but that's about it.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I have high pitch hearing loss in both ears due to working around very loud [90 to 115 Db] noises. Any noise above 75 Db is considered needing hearing protection. When you are standing in an area with 75 Db noise, you can talk with someone without trouble hearing them talk. My left ear is the worst. I used ear plugs as required, but that is not enough protection.

Another possible cause is an ear wax build up. This can plug up an ear just like ear plugs. I knew a guy that went to a doctor because of hearing problem. Dr. put some drops in the ear to soften the wax and a few day later, the Dr. pulled out the wax "plug". He said.....wow!!!! I can hear again.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Wish mine was wax or fluid, but it's real loss with a very high pitch ringing that is constant. Sucks very bad, I'm only 28 and will have this ringing forever unless I get an aid, or this lipoflavanoid stuff works.

Wax or fluid could be the problem, a very quick visit to an ENT will tell you what's going on - if it's easily fixed they will do it right there.

Sent
Old 10-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,445

Cell phone usage.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron man View Post
After working the flight deck I have noticed some hearing loss in my left ear but that's about it.
I hope you are wearing some good ear protection. I bet that noise is worse that listening to a band playing in a club.

Rule of thunb.....if you can not carry on a conversation with another person, due to the noise, you need hearing protection.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,962

Guys.. I'm in my 50's.. I'm also a Certified Safety Consultant by trade..

I deal with high noise DAILY... 85-100DB is nothing to ignore....Most of time we should be wearing double hearing protection... If you don't think that years of shooting shotguns in from a pit blind will NOT effect UR hearing???

Think again!!! I have a lot of hearing loss.. Just so U know.. We ALL should wear it..
Even in the blind if we aint' calling..

I hunted with a friend last year for teal..I always give my little safety speech about shooting over peoples heads etc.. Well a few teal came over on my side of blind I stayed seated and ducked a little..

The person to my left got excited and swings he gun over and near my ear, and then shoots about 6-12' away from my left ear .. I thought he stuck an ice pick into my eardrum.. The echo from the shoot in that steel blind damaged my left ear horribly..

It took about 2 month for my hearing to return in my left ear.. It will never return to normal in that ear again..

Hearing is something you young guys take for granted...I know I did when I was U alls age.. SO BE CAREFUL..
Old 10-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Red Snapper

34- and like a full never put ear plugs in, .......
Wish I would have !
Old 10-07-2013, 06:58 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

43, I cant hear for s***!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Red Snapper

Won't left kids that's not mine ( brothers kids) but they don't shoot without ear muffs or ear plugs!!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

My left handed shooting 18 yo son is 10% deaf in right ear due to shooting a remington pump which ejects out right side when he was younger. Now he shoots a browning eject bottom. Highly encourage all lefties to think about that. School made us get him checked out by dr. Dr said irreversible.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I hope you are wearing some good ear protection. I bet that noise is worse that listening to a band playing in a club.

Rule of thunb.....if you can not carry on a conversation with another person, due to the noise, you need hearing protection.
All the hearing protection in the world can't stop you from having to go down listening to those jets in full afterburner on the catapult. Especially the prowlers. Them turbo jets are really loud.

Not too bad when you're walking right under the tail of one turning though.

And yes. It's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay worse than a band in a club.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerun View Post
My left handed shooting 18 yo son is 10% deaf in right ear due to shooting a remington pump which ejects out right side when he was younger. Now he shoots a browning eject bottom. Highly encourage all lefties to think about that. School made us get him checked out by dr. Dr said irreversible.
I don't think a right handed pump caused his hearing loss. By the time the breech of a pump shotgun is opened the noise is gone. If the breech is open when the gun goes bang 10% hearing loss is the least of your concerns.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,009

My understanding is that when shooting, the stock of the shotgun muffles some of the sound when shooting with unprotected ears. So a right handed shooter would have more of a hearing loss in the left ear vs right because the stock of the gun is being placed close to his right ear thus providing some protection.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerun View Post
Shoot left, muzzle blast is on right ear. Shoot right, muzzle blast is on left ear.

My ear doc told me I was a right handed shooter before I ever told he I used a gun. Audio test and frequency of patients with my condition tipped her off right away.

Sent
Old 10-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Shoot left, muzzle blast is on right ear. Shoot right, muzzle blast is on left ear.

My ear doc told me I was a right handed shooter before I ever told he I used a gun. Audio test and frequency of patients with my condition tipped her off right away.

Sent
I would say that makes good sense.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,296

64 with hearing aids both ears, why, because I shot lots of guns, and worked in a work area ( lab ) that had constant noise level. Also, weed eaters, blowers, mowers can damage your ears. When your young, protect, protect, protect your hearing. You will be grateful in your later years for sure.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

33 and, a lot of hearing loss plus severe tinnitus. I went to my kids' ENT about a month ago and, he was surprised by how bad my hearing test was. Between firearms, loud stereos, playing music in bars and, industry, they've been abused! From 1000htz on up, my ability to hear drops terribly!

And yes, Doc said, the ear opposite of the shooting shoulder takes the most abuse because it's the most in line with the muzzle blast. I won't shoot a .22 now without hearing protection! I gotta save the little I have left!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

Does your right doodad hang lower than your left one? LMAO....just joking. I had the same experience of a shotgun going off over my head and haven't been the same since. Also, check your blood pressure, it can sometimes lead to louder ringing!

RC
Old 10-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
I can here better out my right ear!! But my left ear ( that I can here good with) don't work to good??

Anyone else's have this problem??

What you said?