SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > Gardening & Farming Forum

Gardening & Farming Forum Use this forum to discuss Gardening and Farming.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040
Default Pepper ?s

Are yall's peppers behind schedule? Mine seem to be. Cool weather probably? Also having trouble w/ buds and blossoms drying up and falling of some of the pepper plants. Have bell, jalapeno, and poblano. Plants look to be in beautiful shape and look healthy. Any input on what's up w/ em?

Tomatoes going strong now since it's warmed up.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:48 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

I did all transplanting except my corn, purple hulls & okra....My bells are just a little bigger than buckshot size but my banana's are gettin busy!! I have some that should be ready to pick by next week. Tomatoes also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

No jalapeño's out yet either, but they have budded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

My cayene has a beautiful bush but no peppers but a load of small buds. My bell and banana peppers have a few on bottom but rest of bush just flower buds. Tomato's doing great. Actually picked about 10 or 12 of the first cluster from 6 plants. i think peppers got shocked with warm then really cool weather. i put about 4 tablespoons epson salt around each plant and they are super green...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (86.9 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (86.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (98.0 KB, 137 views)
Old 05-07-2014, 07:29 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Damn im way behind you guys. I have cayenne and ghost seedlings in the greenhouse still. I feel way behind but last year I was early and my germination sucked. Good germination and strong looking plants with hot temps in the greenhouse. Up here we still had a couple mid to low 40's temps at night.
If anyone wants ghost pepper seeds I will have plenty for next spring if all goes well.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
My cayene has a beautiful bush but no peppers but a load of small buds. My bell and banana peppers have a few on bottom but rest of bush just flower buds. Tomato's doing great. Actually picked about 10 or 12 of the first cluster from 6 plants. i think peppers got shocked with warm then really cool weather. i put about 4 tablespoons epson salt around each plant and they are super green...
Looking good lil Bubba. Got the same thing happening w/ my bell and japs. Germination could be an issue of some of the buds falling off. Haven't seen many wasps or bees yet this spring.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124

Fine looking Bell peppers lil Buba thanks so much for sharing. I am very jealous on acounta though I have raised cayenes and jalapenos aplenty, I have never had any luck with bells. EVER!! Finally after consulting several ole green thumbed local guys they seem to think I need to add Epson salt to my soil. At first I thought they were nuts aint salt what they used to poison fields in da bible?? Well after doing some goggling i found out Epson salt aint exactly salt and got magnesium that the peppers need. Funny thing is bell planted 1 ft away from cayene same dirt the cayenes get huge and 1 plant will fill several gallon bags with peppers in a season. While I lucky to get a very few tiny bells. Gonna try salting a corner this week and putting in a bell to check this out. Will let yall know.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Sailfish

Hey cappy try growing some gypsy peppers. I never had a lot of luck with bells but the gypsys always do really good. Its also a really mild sweet pepper. It doesnt have the bitter bite that you get from bells sometimes.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

i used some of my peppers the other night already. ive had 5 mature ones that were almost instant. i have a couple tomatoes nearing completion as well.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

I use a lot of composted leaves also , after i plant i cover the row with 3 or so inches of leaves then turn over in fall. Every couple years i put in some ironite i get from home depot. Any boil crawfish or crab peelings go on top the row and gets turned over in the fall , suppose to be calcium .
Old 05-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

i had trouble last year when my plants froze slightly. they looked ok but they were extremely stunted. they all produced well once they finally came back but for a while there i didnt think i was gonna have a single one grow food.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckingFastard View Post
i had trouble last year when my plants froze slightly. they looked ok but they were extremely stunted. they all produced well once they finally came back but for a while there i didnt think i was gonna have a single one grow food.
That's about what mine are looking like right now. It seems like they haven't grown an inch since after the last cold spell. Maybe it's because I look at them everyday, so the change isn't as noticable to me. My cousin mixed me up some fertilizer he uses on his garden and I've hit it a few times with it. One of my squash is starting to bud, and my zucchini has several flowers on it. My plants just seem small.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
That's about what mine are looking like right now. It seems like they haven't grown an inch since after the last cold spell. Maybe it's because I look at them everyday, so the change isn't as noticable to me. My cousin mixed me up some fertilizer he uses on his garden and I've hit it a few times with it. One of my squash is starting to bud, and my zucchini has several flowers on it. My plants just seem small.
Happened to us last year. A late frost stunted our squash. Had small plants after that. They had lots of fruit but the plants weren't big enough to support them. Had a lot of small hard squash that weren't fit to eat. For some reason the zuchs faired much better than the squash.