SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978
Default Business Owners

I am thinking about starting my own little side business guys and I have a few questions for any business owners out there. First off I am thinking about starting a small engine repair shop at my house and doing boat motor repair, and some automobiles. I have already got a LLC what other kind of license might I need to do this legal and legit?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,404

Will have to get a business license from the city/parish so they can get their taxes. Make sure there are no zoning issues.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

occuppational license
Old 07-11-2013, 07:42 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Do yourself a huge favor and just keep it quiet. Take on only enough to keep you busy but, not enough to clutter your place up to the point that it urks the neighbors. The tax this and, occupy that, city this and, parish that will wear you smooth out! Oh yeah, sign permits...God forbid you want to hang a sign! In most cities, there's a permit for that too!

That said, if you still insist on getting all those people in your pocket, pay your sales taxes monthly! I know some folks do it quarterly and, annually and, they struggle to make the payment. Set it up online at parishe-file.com or .gov?...Can't remember for sure. They changed it recently but, it's the easiest way to handle that.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley123 View Post
I am thinking about starting my own little side business guys and I have a few questions for any business owners out there. First off I am thinking about starting a small engine repair shop at my house and doing boat motor repair, and some automobiles. I have already got a LLC what other kind of license might I need to do this legal and legit?

Also get you an attorney to make sure you have all your legal protection over your business
I’m opening up another LLC this month and you have to make sure you are fully protected from any outside source.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:06 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,477

Do whart Southern said. Advertise by word of mouth. I use to bring my boat to an old man on Coteau Road. He had a sign, if you don't plan on paying cash leave! You couldn't just bring him your boat either, he would call you when to bring it that way he never had more than 1 or 2 boats in his driveway.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,065

I did what "W" said. my first call was to the lawyer. cost about $500ish but he took care of everything! don't fall for the LLC over the internet for $50.... let a lawyer do it, you'll be glad later I anything happens. O yea pay taxes monthly... it's a big bill if ya wait for the end of the year!!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Redfish

Cash: 893

you also need to protect yourself from potential lawsuits. the only exposure i see that you may have is if someone gets hurt on your property. your homeowners insurance may not cover it if they are there for commercial purposes. i would just check into that.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:28 AM
Redfish

Cash: 893

and also make sure your auto insurance covers things like boats being towed in case you have to take a clients boat out for a test or something and get in a wreck
Old 07-11-2013, 08:53 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

are you gonna do this full time or just on the side? I have a lawn business thats now just a side job and keep it hush hush and run it by word of mouth so I dont have to deal with all the extra crap thats associated with a small business, you can pay some tax and write off a few things but keep your business small and pocket more money..... unless you plan to go full blown repair shop and then that will create a lot of unneeded overhead and headache
Old 07-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,084

My buddy does landscaping and odd jobs. He printed up some business cards dropped them at gas stations. He only returns in receipts for the lowest tax bracket or something like that so he gets alot back at income taxes
Old 07-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Flounder

Cash: 647

My father owns a big Husqvarnrna/Tanaka/Honda shop on the west coast. Sometimes if you need a part, and the distributor is out it pays to have one shipped to keep a customer. He has been there for forty years and has a big pile of obsolete and used stuff too. Keep my contact info and get at me if you need anything. I stop by the shop every other day just to see my brothers etc. Networking works.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

Thanks Guys and it would be a side job until I see that it could become full time and that is only if I can triple what I make in a year know