SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:30 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,760
Default metal building home vs traditional brick home

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a metal home vs traditional brick home?
Old 01-13-2016, 11:41 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Metal is a cheaper to build but much harder to sell.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:06 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Better insulation and sound barrier. When I built mine I insulated the building then was left with an 8" air gap (width of the purlins) and then a standard 2x4 stud wall, which was also insulated and sheet rocked. I added on to my house last year and built the addition like a standard wood framed home. I lost the argument with my wife and ended up re-skinning the entire outside with Hardie plank. I miss my "Tin Shack" as I used to call it.

EDIT: Adding on to a metal building was a lot more difficult than if it were a wood framed house. Partially my fault when I originally drew the plans. I did not intend on adding on to it. I was planning on building in front and turning that into an outdoor kitchen/guest house. Just didn't have money when the time came. Adding on was our cheapest option. So keep that in mind as well if expansion is a possibility in the future.

Red is right in that it may be harder to sell, especially if their is a wife involved in the buying decision. They tend to look down on living in a "Tin Shack." I know that when I built mine in 2007, others that were looking into metal building houses had trouble getting financing due to the unknown of the marketability of them if the borrowers were to ever default. I'm not sure if that has changed since then. I know they have gained in popularity over the years.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:34 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,857

I have one and love it. Like Matt mentioned you can get the building insulated and you insulate the walls like a regular home. My electricity bill last month was $78, (Slemco) If i remember right the highest my bill has ever been is around $150 during the summer. You are more than welcome to come take a look at it one day if you would like. I live just north of Scott. PM me if interested.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,094

A lot of banks won't finance the metal buildings as home so better check into that too.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:44 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 602

It's a fad IMHO. I have several around me and just don't see the appeal. They're not exactly inexpensive either, especially after you finish the inside like a traditional home. I have some friends who went through the process and just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a metal building.

Most are an eye sore. Build a traditional home and then a shop or a barn if you need storage.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:37 AM
Redfish

Cash: 719
Default metal building home vs traditional brick home

Metal homes should never be built if you expect to sell it. But, how is it more expensive? A metal home is around $60-80 per sq ft, where as a brick home is minimum $125 per sq ft. These homes are only good if you have a large place out in the country where it doesn't look like an eye sore. Folks have to keep up with the jones with these huge complicated houses. Why pay all that money for the "look" of a traditional house? How often do you stand outside your home and say, "it looks great, I am glad we took out a 30 year loan and paying double with interest". If you keep it simple, there will be more money for investments and toys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2016, 05:39 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,366

Can someone post some examples of these metal building homes

Are we talking a metal building with stud wall interior so the cladding is metal instead of brick / stucco or hardi?
Or is it a metal building with a conventional stick framed front that may be a porch or front elevation to make it look like a regular home but from the side it looks like a metal building
Old 01-14-2016, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,574

Pox, they do them both ways around here. I'll try to get you some pics, inside and out.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
Can someone post some examples of these metal building homes

Are we talking a metal building with stud wall interior so the cladding is metal instead of brick / stucco or hardi?
Or is it a metal building with a conventional stick framed front that may be a porch or front elevation to make it look like a regular home but from the side it looks like a metal building

Here is one that my realtor friend listed for someone. This one is plain on the front but some people make it stucko and/or brick on the front to look like a regular built house.

http://www.vaneatonromero.com/L15303341
Old 01-14-2016, 07:25 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL20A5 View Post
It's a fad IMHO. I have several around me and just don't see the appeal. They're not exactly inexpensive either, especially after you finish the inside like a traditional home. I have some friends who went through the process and just couldn't justify spending that kind of money on a metal building.

Most are an eye sore. Build a traditional home and then a shop or a barn if you need storage.
3 years to make your first post? A man who takes his time for sure. I agree with the "fad" part.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:53 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,366

So unless you are building a big building 6000 sqft and section in off a small part for a house (2200-2500 sqft) inside I don't see how it's any more cost effective than conventional house with hardi siding .
Old 01-15-2016, 10:13 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,939

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
Here is one that my realtor friend listed for someone. This one is plain on the front but some people make it stucko and/or brick on the front to look like a regular built house.

http://www.vaneatonromero.com/L15303341
I think this looks great. If you google metal homes there are a bunch of different options.