SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:11 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618
Default anyone have Hughesnet satelite internet??

whats the scoop on these ppl? what is surfing the net,videos, online games like? looking at land in the country around Jennings and most places I cant get broadband except hughesnet or wildblue satelite...
Old 09-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

not even DSL? My parents had hughesnet a few years ago no good for gaming but decent for anything else may have improved though. they were able to get dsl a couple of years ago
Old 09-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Westerly neighbor

Cash: 3,535

Typically runs at or below 500K/s speeds...about 10x faster than dialup, but about 5x slower than cable/DSL. They are good if you don't have other choices, but their service isn't cheap. My dad uses them and hsan't had any major issues, except the cost.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I had it before they had cable or DSL in Cameron. It was expensive, but I only had that choice and dial up.
It sucked when the rain was heavy, and the only time I surfed the web was when the weather was bad.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

I have it in evangeline only thing available, cost 500 for setup and I pay 90 a month. Deff. Not cheap but the only thing available for me I don't have any complaints but I only use it for email an surfin the net.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 650

I have it it's ok. Right now it is real slow again. So you have to call them jumpr thru hoops, to test verything monitor speed 3 times a day for a week then they bump your speed back up saying they found a glitch on the satellite. Then it s pretty fast for a month or so and starts slowing down again until you complain.

However, when your options are limited, it is great!!!!!!!!!!

I have At&t for my lap top and the service is better now but I am still on the fring of the service. When I have 3 g service signal then it is much faster than Hughes. However, I need to wait until we have full 3 g service before I drop hughesnet
Old 09-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Tripletail

thanks..I don't know if I can go backward as far as net access...I've had cable or DSL for the last 10 years....but to find a piece of land in the country you have no choice unless there is centurylink DSL available....

JLDSC....I was looking at land on riverside rd...it looks like they have charter cable on it...do you know if they do?they had those thick lines with the repeater boxes on them... what part of evangeline you in?
Old 09-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Red Snapper

I near the school on the other side of the bridge, my brother in law did tell me that at&t does offer it there so you should be good on riverside rd.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:59 PM
Tripletail

cool I'll check into it for riverside....you know Buster?
Old 09-12-2010, 07:55 AM
Red Snapper

Yea he used to live next door but now he's on bluff loop rd just about 100 ft further behind my shop I'm jermey he knows me
Old 09-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,010

Hughes net sucks. I have it south of Jennings and have to watch that I don't go over the allotted limit for each day. If you look at videos on a regular basis you don't want them. The service when you exceed the limit is slower than dial up. If the weather clouds up or rains, you loose signal and can't get online. If you need customer service, you will be talking to India and they swear they are American although you can't understand 90% of what they say. There is a company out of Crowley that has a pretty good system, works off radio some how. Look for their number on the web, here is the name: Radio Communications of Crowley, La.

Warren
Old 09-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Red Snapper

I liked it this morning but this afternoon it's slow as molases and I aint no where near my limit.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:29 AM
Sand Trout

The daily download and upload caps are likely to be overlooked by the average user, though someone who uses a lot of daily bandwidth will find the daily restrictions to be quite annoying.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Tripletail

yea i've heard about the caps...which sucks....I'm worried about the surfing speed..nothing raises my blood pressure like a slow loading webpage lol

thanks Warren I'll check into that radio communications place.

i've also been hearing of ppl using verizon or AT&T air wireless aircards.....anyone use those? whats the scoop on them?
Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebert View Post
yea i've heard about the caps...which sucks....I'm worried about the surfing speed..nothing raises my blood pressure like a slow loading webpage lol

thanks Warren I'll check into that radio communications place.

i've also been hearing of ppl using verizon or AT&T air wireless aircards.....anyone use those? whats the scoop on them?
Get the Sprint aircard, not those others. I go all over the gulf states for work, we used to use the AT&T cards and they were junk, I would have to take my laptop outside of my truck most of the time to get a signal. We swapped to Sprint and now I can connect EVERYWHERE, I even connect while inside a supply vessel at every port I've been to so far. I don't know what the price difference is for the plan but take it from 1st hand experience...get the Sprint card if you go this route.