SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 01-31-2014, 01:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
How do you like the Crossbreed holster? I have been contempating getting one. Had never heard og them until my wife saw them on Glenn Beck.
Most comfortable inside waistband I have used. Having said that I gotta tell you If I am driving a lot or sitting in certain chairs its still not that comf to me. Others I know that have the same holster don't mind sitting and driving. Maybe I have too much "extra" around my waist.
It's a combination of leather and kydex. The leather touches your skin so its not too bad.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:17 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
How do you like the Crossbreed holster? I have been contempating getting one. Had never heard og them until my wife saw them on Glenn Beck.
I'm wearing a Crossbreed knock off I bought off of eBay right now at work. That's sitting at a desk for between 8 - 10 hours and I forget I even have it on. Hands down the most comfortable holster I've ever had. I bought one for my old man's LC9 for his birthday and it's the same way. Comfortable as all get out!
Old 01-31-2014, 03:19 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I'm wearing a Crossbreed knock off I bought off of eBay right now at work. That's sitting at a desk for between 8 - 10 hours and I forget I even have it on. Hands down the most comfortable holster I've ever had. I bought one for my old man's LC9 for his birthday and it's the same way. Comfortable as all get out!
At work and on SC huh? Me too
Will have to check out those holsters and see what they got for a 1911 and a XD. Since I open carry I can do more as far as comfort. The only time its an issue is when im buckled in my truck seat. Probably need to start taking my gun out then. Mag well on my 1911 has done wore a hole in my seat cover.lol
Old 01-31-2014, 03:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Maybe I just need to wear it more and get used to it and "break it in" some. Everyone I talk to says exactly what you are saying. Probably just me.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:23 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

Glock 21 in kydex holster at 4 o'clock and sometimes a sig nightmare in kydex at 4 o'clock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2014, 07:40 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 560

9mm xd subcompact in crossbreed. Summer time, j frame in front pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

May I recommend that it may be unwise to give too much detail on one's preferred mode of carry on an internet forum.

If someone you do not know and trust is going to learn whether and how you carry, it best come as a life altering surprise to them!

I've had positive experiences with Galco leather holsters.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:01 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 918
Default Preffered Carry Weapon and Stlye

Kahr Arms. They are the yellow mouth baits or riceland custom calls of conceal carry, or guns in general. Pair it with a crossbreed IWB holster and federal premium HST in any grain and you'll be set. Words of advice, glove oil will help break in the leather on your crossbreed, and when you google the holster make sure you search "crossbreed holsters" and not "cross breed"... Big surprise!
Old 01-31-2014, 09:02 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillionaire View Post
Kahr Arms. They are the yellow mouth baits or riceland custom calls of conceal carry, or guns in general. Pair it with a crossbreed IWB holster and federal premium HST in any grain and you'll be set. Words of advice, glove oil will help break in the leather on your crossbreed, and when you google the holster make sure you search "crossbreed holsters" and not "cross breed"... Big surprise!
Kahr makes some amazing guns. My wife used to carry a Kahr 9mm. Now she carries a Kahr In .45acp. They both are fine shooting weapons. I love them Kahrs.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:11 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
May I recommend that it may be unwise to give too much detail on one's preferred mode of carry on an internet forum.

If someone you do not know and trust is going to learn whether and how you carry, it best come as a life altering surprise to them!

I've had positive experiences with Galco leather holsters.
From now on I would like a copy of a photo ID, address, and a social security number would also be helpful with each additional post.
Sorry MG my smartazz side took over and I couldnt resist.
Slap me back bro. Its all good. God Bless bro
Old 01-31-2014, 09:12 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Kahr makes some amazing guns. My wife used to carry a Kahr 9mm. Now she carries a Kahr In .45acp. They both are fine shooting weapons. I love them Kahrs.
I never understood the allure of Kahrs and Glocks.

Sigs, Berettas, and Kimbers make sense to me.

Shrink down compromises are always compromises.

Guns should be judged on how well one can shoot it, not how unnoticeable it is on the hip.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 PM
Sailfish

Quote:

Guns should be judged on how well one can shoot it, not how unnoticeable it is on the hip.
On that we couldnt agree more MG. She likes to shoot my 1911 but she doesnt enjoy lugging it around. She shoots that Kahr 45 pretty darn good too. Any gun is better than no gun provided you're proficient with it. I like big guns with fat bullets. I have been wanting a commander sized 1911 for a while though. The price on a 1911 climbs fast when the barrel gets shorter.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:41 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 918

Quote:

You are correct that it doesn't matter what gun you're shooting if you can't hit anything with it.
When you talk about concealment, size is everything. Kahr pistols are not a chopped down version of full sized guns like most others, all kahr pistols are built to be concealed. Also, Glock and Kahr are two of few pistols that are rated for +p+ rounds.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:42 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Anyone have experience with the compact 1911 such at the Citadel? I want to get a .45 and was considering the Springfield XDS. 45 but also liked the Citadel compact 1911 single stack
Old 01-31-2014, 09:57 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
Anyone have experience with the compact 1911 such at the Citadel? I want to get a .45 and was considering the Springfield XDS. 45 but also liked the Citadel compact 1911 single stack
You know with your mental history all you can carry is a rubber band gun. And that's only under strict supervision.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2014, 10:02 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermillionaire View Post
You are correct that it doesn't matter what gun you're shooting if you can't hit anything with it.
When you talk about concealment, size is everything. Kahr pistols are not a chopped down version of full sized guns like most others, all kahr pistols are built to be concealed. Also, Glock and Kahr are two of few pistols that are rated for +p+ rounds.
I like a big gun but I also love my wifes Kahr. I have carried it many times and never felt it wouldnt do the job if needed. They make some fine weapons.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:10 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
Never played with any of the sub compact 1911's. Commander size is the smallest I've shot. I want a commander size. To me the 1911 is the perfect weapon as far as handguns are concerned. Me personaly I dont like the idea of shortening the grip of a 1911 to make it sub compact. Just a personal preference for me.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:30 PM
King Mackeral

I could never shoot the smaller or lighter guns as well as I could the Sig P229. Maybe it's all the practice I did back in the day, but it became sort of an extension of my hand. It points where I want it to point and makes holes where I want the holes to be. A lot of the steps that are conscious and mechanical with smaller guns are ingrained, unconscious, automatic. Some of the other med to full size guns, I can do very well with by conscious focus on the fundamentals, steady sight picture, gentle trigger squeeze, but it is slower.

But my groups open up much more with the small pistols, even with careful application of the fundamentals. And recoil recovery to regain the sight picture is tough (slow). I can do much better with a Sig P229 in .40 S&W or .357 Sig than a Sig P232 in .380 or a Glock 26 in 9mm. In 9mm, the Sig P229 is just awesome.

As I've gotten into my 40s and my eyesight just doesn't focus as well quickly in multiple planes any more, having a gun that just points where I want is even more an asset. Used to have a training game: point the gun without the sights, turn on a laser, see how close. I've never carried pistol with a laser, but it's a great training aid.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:19 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
I could never shoot the smaller or lighter guns as well as I could the Sig P229. Maybe it's all the practice I did back in the day, but it became sort of an extension of my hand. It points where I want it to point and makes holes where I want the holes to be. A lot of the steps that are conscious and mechanical with smaller guns are ingrained, unconscious, automatic. Some of the other med to full size guns, I can do very well with by conscious focus on the fundamentals, steady sight picture, gentle trigger squeeze, but it is slower.

But my groups open up much more with the small pistols, even with careful application of the fundamentals. And recoil recovery to regain the sight picture is tough (slow). I can do much better with a Sig P229 in .40 S&W or .357 Sig than a Sig P232 in .380 or a Glock 26 in 9mm. In 9mm, the Sig P229 is just awesome.

As I've gotten into my 40s and my eyesight just doesn't focus as well quickly in multiple planes any more, having a gun that just points where I want is even more an asset. Used to have a training game: point the gun without the sights, turn on a laser, see how close. I've never carried pistol with a laser, but it's a great training aid.
I can see the training applications of a laser sight but do not like the idea of them for self defense. People are complacent and a laser sight makes it worse. Buy it, mount it, sight it, and forget it. Right? No need to practice anymore. Right? Two years later your door gets kicked in at 2 am you grab your lasered super gun and realize the batteries are dead. You havent shot your gun in two years because you didnt need to. That laser sight was supposed to take place of practice. Right?. Your gun and a good light and shoot at night with your light.Complacency will get you killed.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:43 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
I can see the training applications of a laser sight but do not like the idea of them for self defense. People are complacent and a laser sight makes it worse. Buy it, mount it, sight it, and forget it. Right? No need to practice anymore. Right? Two years later your door gets kicked in at 2 am you grab your lasered super gun and realize the batteries are dead. You havent shot your gun in two years because you didnt need to. That laser sight was supposed to take place of practice. Right?. Your gun and a good light and shoot at night with your light.Complacency will get you killed.
Agreed. We've owned several lasers over the years for different experiments, but they are toys. There are very few electronic devices that I like the thought of mounting on a firearm and having to trust when the chips are down. Had a Holosight once too. Great on a shotgun on a bright day shooting clay birds. But as a sight shooting real stuff, it lagged. Tried it on the crossbow and on the slug gun and killed a few deer with it, but I liked a Leupold scope much better. Things with the Holosight were tricky in low light. In bright light, you've got to turn it all the way up and you're burning battery fast.