SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-26-2013, 09:26 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Hairout Mississippi Dog Hunters

This is not to start a debate. This is not to bash anyone and how they hunt. But I have to ask.......................How in the world does any of these dog hunters kill any deer at all. This past Saturday, the usual crew from the Independence/Tickfaw crowd once again turned loose next to our property line as they did last year. They spent the rest of the day riding up and down the roads chasing their dogs, which were chasing deer on our property. On Sunday, I was fortunate enough to catch a dog and called the GW who issued a ticket to the owner.

When I was a kid, you got placed on "stand" by an old timer and was told not to move until we pick you up. A section of woods was surrounded and dogs did their things. Back then, the "Huntmaster" was the boss and we killed some great deer. Nowadays, they position people in trucks with CB radios to warn them when someone is coming, while others run 60mph on gravel roads. What a disgrace!

But, back to my question - how do they kill a deer? The GW actually told me they will run a deer and track it to a road, when it gets to the road they will turn fresh dogs on it and run it down. Is that possible???
Old 11-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

In my experience I found dog hunters to be some of the rudest most unethical hunters you could ever have the misfortune of meeting. For the limited time they have to run dogs where I live, they think they own the woods and you shouldn't be out there if you aren't with them. For the majority of dog hunters I've dealt with its about killing as many deer as possible. Its not about killing a deer in a way that allows a quick death and also as little meat damage as possible. They take the majority of their shots at running deer and making it bleed is their goal. If it bleeds the dogs can run it down and it can be shot some more. I have seen deer killed by dog hunters and half the meat was bloodshot beyond being usable.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

seems kind of a cheap way to call yourself a hunter... kind of like going into lake and dragging a gill net across and then calling yourself a fisherman...
Old 11-26-2013, 01:23 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633
Default ha

i want to see where this ends up
Old 11-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
seems kind of a cheap way to call yourself a hunter... kind of like going into lake and dragging a gill net across and then calling yourself a fisherman...
Or setting a pile of food in the same spot all year, watching cameras to gauge when they will walk out, and sitting in an insulated box...?
Old 11-26-2013, 02:37 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Just like anything it can be done right or wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2013, 02:49 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

I've never been around it but, I don't see the point in hunting with dogs. That said, I never hunted a feeder either or, even heard of it, until I moved down here.

When you run an animal that hard, it gets the heart rate up on them and, if I understand correctly, essentially ruins the meat or, makes it very "gamy."
Old 11-26-2013, 03:02 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Well, another issue is the "oops" of a deer kill. By "oops" I mean shooting a deer on the run that is not legal to harvest. Must be a buck of certain size/age class. Witnessed several guys shooting a deer on the run to find out it was a spike. Guess what, the kid that shot was the one the "hit" the deer and everyone else missed! Yep, that is what they claimed when they arrived to find 3" horns on his head.

I choose to work our land, farming cover/food for the wildlife. Yes, we sit in a box sometimes, sometimes I sit on the ground or log as well. I choose to shoot adult deer, that have reached maturity. If I have a new hunter, or kid that wants to shoot a spike it was his day to die. My wife has video/pic of 3 spikes playing for 2 hours at 20 yards from her this weekend. My 14y/o passed on a doe waiting on a buck. That is our choice. The dog hunters have a choice also. They can repsect our land and hunt like it was meant to be hunted. But what gets me, it's the same group year after year that is causing trouble for all - deer hunters on both sides are going to pay the price because of them!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Well, another issue is the "oops" of a deer kill. By "oops" I mean shooting a deer on the run that is not legal to harvest. Must be a buck of certain size/age class. Witnessed several guys shooting a deer on the run to find out it was a spike. Guess what, the kid that shot was the one the "hit" the deer and everyone else missed! Yep, that is what they claimed when they arrived to find 3" horns on his head.

I choose to work our land, farming cover/food for the wildlife. Yes, we sit in a box sometimes, sometimes I sit on the ground or log as well. I choose to shoot adult deer, that have reached maturity. If I have a new hunter, or kid that wants to shoot a spike it was his day to die. My wife has video/pic of 3 spikes playing for 2 hours at 20 yards from her this weekend. My 14y/o passed on a doe waiting on a buck. That is our choice. The dog hunters have a choice also. They can repsect our land and hunt like it was meant to be hunted. But what gets me, it's the same group year after year that is causing trouble for all - deer hunters on both sides are going to pay the price because of them!
Well said

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"
Old 11-29-2013, 05:55 PM
Flounder

Cash: 619

I hate to see such jaded opinions on a dog hunters. Usually the minority spoil it for the majority. Not every one who runs dogs hunts like this. I don't particularly run deer dogs, but do run hog dogs, and dogs are fast becoming a sport of the past, because of idiots.

I hate to hear about the bad experiences with idiots, but my advice would be to not judge the whole barrel off one apple.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-IV View Post
I hate to see such jaded opinions on a dog hunters. Usually the minority spoil it for the majority. Not every one who runs dogs hunts like this. I don't particularly run deer dogs, but do run hog dogs, and dogs are fast becoming a sport of the past, because of idiots.

I hate to hear about the bad experiences with idiots, but my advice would be to not judge the whole barrel off one apple.
X2
Old 11-30-2013, 02:25 AM
Flounder

Cash: 612

There is def a right and wrong to go about hunting with dogs. I grew up deer hunting with dogs. We still hunted in the morning and the dogs were turned loose midmorning and everyone was told where the dog hunt would take place so that if you wanted to still hunt that afternoon you could go to the opposite end of the club or go on the dog hunt. On the dog hunt the guys working the dogs would ride on horse back and shot lever action open site rifles and everyone else would take a stand. I always loved dog hunting and we killed alot of nice deer. It is a dying art that is being destroyed by ppl that dont know what they are doing and still hunters who are too spoiled from hunting on shooting lanes with feeders to take the time to understand it.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post

Or sitting there trying to fish the traditional way tightlining a chub and some yoyo on the side of you breaks out a vudu skrimp under a popping cork. Just not right.