SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 12-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,393

I can pole my action craft 1.9 mph in a 10mph headwind.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Never heard of an edge boat. Where can I find some info on one? Not to be smart, but what makes them so special?
Here's their website: http://www.edgeboats.com/
Old 12-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

Paul, it's been terrible since I left Citgo. I am forced to sleep in my own bed every night, I have ALL holidays off now, work no overtime, actually work no time. There is life after Citgo. It has been a wonderful 10 years, the best of my life. And at the same time, I must say that Citgo was very good to me. I have nothing but good things to say about the way I was treated before and after I left.

Lake Area is now the Edge dealer in this area. They will stock the 1550 and the 1556. My 1556, called a 556, weighs 352 pounds empty.
What makes them so fast??? It's all about the bottom design. Notice in the video how the boat sits up on the pad and flies??? Well, there really is no pad, just a well designed bottom. As for hopping up a 4 stroke, mine is a 4 cylinder 40 with a 60hp ecu, that's it. It runs just like a 4 stroke 60 would run. And the 556 Edge is rated for a 60hp motor.
The boat runs 52mph with just me, a large battery, and 12 gallons of fuel, 49mph with another 200 pound man.
Anybody want a ride, just drop me a line at acts1013@bellsouth.net

Danny
Old 12-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I have a 3cylinder 25hp yammy, wonder how it would do on that boat..... may have to go look at them.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:11 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
I have a 3cylinder 25hp yammy, wonder how it would do on that boat..... may have to go look at them.
Got a guy in Indiana with a box stock, 3 cylinder, 30hp, yamaha, with aluminum prop, running 35+ on the 556. I have his buddies 3 cylinder yammie in my shop right now, sprinkling a little magic dust inside It will mount on a 550, should be quick.
So far, it is the fastest aluminum hull we have found.
D
Old 12-20-2011, 07:15 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunChristian View Post
Got a guy in Indiana with a box stock, 3 cylinder, 30hp, yamaha, with aluminum prop, running 35+ on the 556. I have his buddies 3 cylinder yammie in my shop right now, sprinkling a little magic dust inside It will mount on a 550, should be quick.
D
when you get done post some numbers for what his runs please. Mine has 40carbs, reeds cut and exhaust opened..... needs alittle fine tuneing but I will be buying another boat to put it on and would be interested in that boat. Thanks Jason
Old 12-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,165

Quote:
Got a guy in Indiana with a box stock, 3 cylinder, 30hp, yamaha, with aluminum prop, running 35+ on the 556.
D
Very interesting.....
Old 12-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,499

Danny, you still in the same house? I need to come visit sometime.

EVO
Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
Danny, you still in the same house? I need to come visit sometime.

EVO

Yep, in the exact same place. Come by anytime Paul, be great to see you again. Be forewarned, you won't see the same guy you knew at Citgo. Seems that me and the Lord have come to a much better understanding. He didn't change, I did
Weed: I just finished a 25 yammie that went to arkansas. On a 1548 War Eagle boat, the motor turns a 15 pitch prop 6100 rpm. That kid is flying. He has an Edge 550 ordered, should be an interesting ride.
D
Old 12-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:

The only one they have in stock is a 1650, OD green. Here is a pic of mine at the factory and apic of the motor with the decals and a shot of the back so you can see part of the bottom:

Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,499

Quote:
Yep, in the exact same place. Come by anytime Paul, be great to see you again. Be forewarned, you won't see the same guy you knew at Citgo. Seems that me and the Lord have come to a much better understanding. He didn't change, I did
I've changed some in the past 10 years also! LOL

I'll wait until next week as not to ruin your Christmas. and I'll be on my 7 off.

Merry Christmas and plan on seeing me on your doorstep Monday or Tuesday my friend.

EVO
Old 12-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
D

Are y'all having any porpoising issues with these wide widths? Are you running jack plates on them? How do they do in the marsh?
Old 12-21-2011, 05:17 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Are y'all having any porpoising issues with these wide widths? Are you running jack plates on them? How do they do in the marsh?
No bounce whatsoever. It's all in the bottom design. Someone finally used hi perf bass boat technology on small aluminum boats. Only problem I have had is when accelerating hard, if you trim up too fast, the boat starts to chine walk. You have to trim a tad. let the boat catch up, trim a bit more let the boat catch up, then you're ok. Trim up too fast and you get a tank slapper going. As far as poirpoising, none with any engine we have tested. Boats seem to top out well at about 1-2 degrees positive trim and with no weight adjustments, no trim tabs. That was one of my pet peeves when we designed the bottom of this hull. I run 10" of setback, I run a Bob's hydraulic lift with 6" of lift. It floats higher than my 1552 WeldBilt did. As for the marsh, it does great in Sabine, same place we used to run our WeldBilts.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:13 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633

hey cajunchristian, that boat looks a lot like an excel boat, what are the difference between an edge and an excel
Old 12-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfighter View Post
hey cajunchristian, that boat looks a lot like an excel boat, what are the difference between an edge and an excel
I noticed the same thing but if you look at the weights the Edge 330lb is quite a bit lighter then Excel 420lb
Old 12-21-2011, 10:08 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633
Default boat

Quote:
I noticed the same thing but if you look at the weights the Edge 330lb is quite a bit lighter then Excel 420lb
some may say that means a better built boat, i am not ragging on any thing nor am i promoting anything, just fishing for info, weight difference is in the aluminum, edge is .090 and the excel is .100
Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfighter View Post
some may say that means a better built boat, i am not ragging on any thing nor am i promoting anything, just fishing for info, weight difference is in the aluminum, edge is .090 and the excel is .100
that was what I saw was weight, not sure what other difference there is. I saw the hull thickness also but I know for me personaly the difference in the two thickness wise would not be an issue being I am not bashing boat on trees like a lot of the guys do that hunt flooded timber, a lot of other boats are only .080 and they donot have ribbing like the Edge, Excel and Xpress HD
Old 12-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Quote:
that was what I saw was weight, not sure what other difference there is. I saw the hull thickness also but I know for me personaly the difference in the two thickness wise would not be an issue being I am not bashing boat on trees like a lot of the guys do that hunt flooded timber, a lot of other boats are only .080 and they donot have ribbing like the Edge, Excel and Xpress HD
Where have you seen other than little jon boats that are .80?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 1fastmerc; 12-21-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
Where have you seen other than little jon boats that are .80?

Alweld, Xpress, Weldbuilt, Southfork..... most of these in the 15'range are .80 gauge unless you order heavier gauge
Old 12-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Quote:
Alweld, Xpress, Weldbuilt, Southfork..... most of these in the 15'range are .80 gauge unless you order heavier gauge
Ok so they are more or less pond boats rated for small motors.