SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 11-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926
Default tuna timeing

What's the best time for tuna out of gi or vines?? And who are some good captions to go with? Needing to plan a trip for 4-people

Thanks
Old 11-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,075

summer time usually produces a lot of fish, mostly "schooling" tuna which can be caught on poppers which makes for some fun and fast action. these tuna usually run 60-90 pounds or so, however you can catch tuna over 100. if your looking for trophy fish october, november make for some bigger fish, a lot of fishing is done behind shrimp boats. but also chumming, bump troll live bait. as far as tuna captains, theres a few in Venice i highly recommend,
1. Kevin Beach, Mexican Gulf Fishing Company he has a few guides that are great at catching tuna, they all run Freemans, makes for a great ride out there and can catch a lot of fish.
2. Hunter Caballero, Paradise Outfitters, he's great at catching tuna and very good at what he does.
3. Woody Woods, he just broke away from Paradise Outfitters i believe (don't quote me on that) he just got a brand new freeman in recently. he is the younger of the 3 but he is a great captain and catches a lot of fish.

In my opinion those are the top 3 tuna captains in venice, but thats just my opinion. good luck and hope to hear a report from you soon.

oh and all three captains can run up to 6 people
Old 11-03-2014, 04:56 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Captain Eddie Burger
Old 11-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 671

The most important thing to remember is that you never know until you go.

You should also consider choosing your trip for how hardy you are. Some Captains will run in 5 foot seas. Ask those questions before you book. Fall and winter can be notorious for rough weather. Summer usually brings more stable weather patterns and predictable trips but fall and winter can give big payoffs, if you catch the weather right or are willing to tough it out.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Screamers View Post
The most important thing to remember is that you never know until you go.

You should also consider choosing your trip for how hardy you are. Some Captains will run in 5 foot seas. Ask those questions before you book. Fall and winter can be notorious for rough weather. Summer usually brings more stable weather patterns and predictable trips but fall and winter can give big payoffs, if you catch the weather right or are willing to tough it out.
great advice... Any capt can scratch on any given day, sometimes tuna just dont want to eat even if they are there. I have used Deep South Charters in Venice 6 or 7 times and have never had a reason to use anybody else.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:49 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-addict View Post
summer time usually produces a lot of fish, mostly "schooling" tuna which can be caught on poppers which makes for some fun and fast action. these tuna usually run 60-90 pounds or so, however you can catch tuna over 100. if your looking for trophy fish october, november make for some bigger fish, a lot of fishing is done behind shrimp boats. but also chumming, bump troll live bait. as far as tuna captains, theres a few in Venice i highly recommend,
1. Kevin Beach, Mexican Gulf Fishing Company he has a few guides that are great at catching tuna, they all run Freemans, makes for a great ride out there and can catch a lot of fish.
2. Hunter Caballero, Paradise Outfitters, he's great at catching tuna and very good at what he does.
3. Woody Woods, he just broke away from Paradise Outfitters i believe (don't quote me on that) he just got a brand new freeman in recently. he is the younger of the 3 but he is a great captain and catches a lot of fish.

In my opinion those are the top 3 tuna captains in venice, but thats just my opinion. good luck and hope to hear a report from you soon.

oh and all three captains can run up to 6 people
That Freeman isnt Woodys boat he is just running it, no doubt he can catch fish but his people skills are lacking